Beer Selection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ozbrewer, i would be interested in hearing of your tasting thoughts for the Bellevue Framboise in the first picture. I split the bottle (heaviest bottle i have seen btw) with a mate on Friday night. We both couldn't go more than one sip each.

We found it had a distinctive rasberry taste, but the sourness and thinness that it contributed made the beer taste almost cidery and made us think that it was a flaw in the beer even though it is probably to style.

Will

PS Love the Forbidden Fruit, i think it is almost porty with some muscat characteristics. Probably my most Favourite Belgian Strong ale.

Edit- spelling

it is sour, , but it is a lambic, i love the style

Postback with the results on the Orval guys(Ross and Oz).I almost bought one recently but went with a schnieder aventinus instead ,and am now scared to waste my meagre beer cash after reading some of the others opinions of the orval.
Awaiting with interest :huh:

Brauluver said:
Postback with the results on the Orval guys(Ross and Oz).
[post="100485"][/post]​

Orval has been a long time favorite of mine, maybe the people slaming orval are more comfortable drinking Fosters lite...... :p

Brauluver said:
Postback with the results on the Orval guys(Ross and Oz).I almost bought one recently but went with a schnieder aventinus instead ,and am now scared to waste my meagre beer cash after reading some of the others opinions of the orval.
[post="100485"][/post]​

Drank the Orval tonight :chug:

I think someone must have got a skunky bottle, because mine was lovely.
Slightly sour, salty taste - If I'd tasted blind, I'd have guessed this was a gose beer (never tasted one mind). I have no idea where you got the leather taste from Warren, as not a hint of anything like that in the beer I just drank.
I would certainly have this one again - really nice...

kungy said:
We found it had a distinctive rasberry taste, but the sourness and thinness that it contributed made the beer taste almost cidery and made us think that it was a flaw in the beer even though it is probably to style.
[post="100473"][/post]​
[lambic nazi] It's not to style! Well, it's not authentic at least... It is pasteurised, sweetened and artificially flavoured! I know it's practically impossible to acquire in Australia, but you should try Cantillon's Ros de Gambrinus - then you'll know what sour is. :eek: [/lambic nazi]

Walked into my local BWS this morning and they had a carton of Forbidden Fruit sitting on the counter at $2.50 a bottle. Woo hoo.

Malnourished said:
kungy said:
[post="100473"][/post]​
[lambic nazi] It's not to style! Well, it's not authentic at least... It is pasteurised, sweetened and artificially flavoured! I know it's practically impossible to acquire in Australia, but you should try Cantillon's Ros de Gambrinus - then you'll know what sour is. :eek: [/lambic nazi]
[post="100521"][/post]​

Mal, I still reckon you should start a "True Belgian/ Lambic/ Orval" thread.

Ooooh...and Nazi is a strong term. It's been banned at my work, and looks much harsher in print. I'd assume that most Belgians wouldn't be happy with it being applied to their finest indigenous produce. I'd be happier to go with lambic appreciator extraordinaire or lambic fanatic/ style pedant.

I have really liked the lambics/ geuze/ sour fruit beers that I have tasted, whether to style or not. I was surprised that the geuze was so complex, yet delikat, and dry, tart, tasty, thirst-quencing and moreish. Shame it was only a 200 ml bottle.

Would really enjoy hearing your opinions.

Apologies for previously assuming that you are Brother Mal, as there is no justification for assuming your gender to be male. Is there, Mal?

Seth out

BTW, happy to post my tasting of Westmalle later today. Been waiting for an appropriate time to taste it. I shall wait no longer.

Oh, and POL, sounds like a score 4 U. Verboden Vrucht did not do it for me when I last tasted it, but maybe because it was during an all-afternnon tasting at the Heritage Belgian Cafe??

Weizguy said:
Ooooh...and Nazi is a strong term. It's been banned at my work, and looks much harsher in print. I'd assume that most Belgians wouldn't be happy with it being applied to their finest indigenous produce. I'd be happier to go with lambic appreciator extraordinaire or lambic fanatic/ style pedant.
[post="100540"][/post]​
Really? Obviously I can see how the word can be offensive, but my intention was a variant on the fairly widely used "style nazi." I will go back and edit my post (and this one now!) if anyone thinks I should. I think pedant is probably more than appropriate. :)

Weizguy said:
Mal, I still reckon you should start a "True Belgian/ Lambic/ Orval" thread.
I have really liked the lambics/ geuze/ sour fruit beers that I have tasted, whether to style or not. I was surprised that the geuze was so complex, yet delikat, and dry, tart, tasty, thirst-quencing and moreish. Shame it was only a 200 ml bottle.
Would really enjoy hearing your opinions.
[post="100540"][/post]​
I don't really think there's a need to start a new thread for me to rant about all things Belgian. My opinion is that the stuff you can get in Australia (Timmermans particularly) are generally quite nice and give a reasonable idea of what the authentic stuff is like, but the reality is that they aren't the same thing. As far as I'm concerned, authentic lambic and gueuze are streets ahead of basically every other type of beer. It's a shame you can't get them in Australia! (Unless you happen to be at the International Beer Shop at the right time.)

Weizguy said:
Apologies for previously assuming that you are Brother Mal, as there is no justification for assuming your gender to be male. Is there, Mal?
[post="100540"][/post]​
LOL! I'd like to assume there is at least a little justification for assuming my gender to be male, at least from people who've met me. :blink:

Ross said:
Brauluver said:
[post="100485"][/post]​

Drank the Orval tonight :chug:

I think someone must have got a skunky bottle, because mine was lovely.
Slightly sour, salty taste - If I'd tasted blind, I'd have guessed this was a gose beer (never tasted one mind). I have no idea where you got the leather taste from Warren, as not a hint of anything like that in the beer I just drank.
I would certainly have this one again - really nice...
[post="100500"][/post]​

Cheers Ross and Oz, I will put it back on the list of beers to try :chug:

Brit_beers.JPG

Cracked open the Summer Ligthning with Jimmyjack yesterday arvo - Must say I was a bit disappointed. A lovely golden hue, full of EKG & a pleasent enough drop, but for a bottle conditioned beer still well within it's sell by date, it was a touch tired... Maybe it was because we'd just drank my Summer Ale (freshly kegged 24 hrs previous), which we unanimously agreed was a far nicer drop :)

Drinking the Monkmans Strong Bitter (6%) as I'm typing - This bitter has travelled far better. Bottle conditioned again, This malty dark amber beer has a high percentage of crystal. Spiciness of challenger hops combined with the EKG balance beautifully against the rich crystal backbone of this beer. This beer is full of sweet fruit flavours, but finishes nice & bitter on the pallette...

cheers Ross...

I just had my botle of Orval........man its a nice beer

ozbrewer said:
I just had my botle of Orval........man its a nice beer
[post="102588"][/post]​

what a lovely day it is! Just had my first 3 monts - not at all what i was expecting, not even a tiny bit like a triple (I suppose colour and alcohol plus ignorance gave me the false impression). Out of the 4 days ina row of tastings, the triple Karmilet has been the most standout - 2morrow will be the forbiden fruit which i know I already like because I've brewed my own version 6 times or so already.

Belgium - where would we be without them? bless their souls.........

Called in to Dan Murphy's today and got most of these. Also got a case of Little creatures All sorts (Pale ale, Bright ale, Rogers and Pilsener) homebrew stocks are a bit low at the moment so thought I would buy some stock, plus I get to try some beers I haven't had before. I have already had the LCPA, hoegaarden, Sharers lager, Pilsener Urquel, and schofferhofer.

Anyone have any thoughts on any of the beers? Obviously the Chimay is going to be at the top of the list.

Looking forward to drinking these ones

Kabooby :)

Just thought I would post in this thread to save starting a new one

DSC03207__Small_.JPG

Some nice beers there Kabooby.

Apart from the Chimay, the Fullers ESB is one of my favourites. Make sure to drink it at the correct temperature though.

The Kozel Schwarzbier, I was a little disappointed in. Pretty thin in mouthfeel, and just average IMO.

Interested to hear what you think.

Cheers.

I agree with Duff on the Kozel (overly sweet IMO) and the ESB is great. :icon_cheers:

The wheat beers can be nice, but it just depends on how fresh they are.

Yeh I know what you mean about the wheat beers being fresh. I get the feeling the schofferhofer has been around the block a few times :(

I really enjoyed the Erdinger on tap at Balmain AHB crawl and like my dark beers so I am looking forward to the Erdinger Dunkel

I got the ESB because Pumpy and I brewed a nice ESB and want to try it as a comparison

That was fantastic, wasn't it. :icon_drool2: :chug:

It was good

3 schooners and 2 pints in the first two pubs really got us moving. Needless to say by the end of the night all the beers were good

Having the Kozel Dark ATM and it poured great. Has a real sweet caramel flavour and taste. Its not bad but I do prefer my dark beers to have a bit more body.

Anyway after the day I have had I dont think it will last long

Kabooby :)

Latest posts

Back