Beer Selection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went down the bottle shop for some wine for tonight & as usual got waylaid in the beer section. Comments on any of the beers most welcome...

Brit_beers.JPG

I've heard Summer Lightning is a top drop, so bought 2

BeersGreat_beers_of_Europe.JPG

This came as a Great beers of Europe 6 pack (5 beers & glass)

Euro_Beers.JPG

Mixed selection of Euro beers I haven't tried before - scored an Oktoberfest glass as well :)

Cheers & Happy New Year...

Great selection Ross.
Rochefort 10 is my favourite of the ones I've had from that selection.

Beers,
Doc

Ross said:
Went down the bottle shop for some wine for tonight & as usual got waylaid in the beer section. Comments on any of the beers most welcome...

[post="100202"][/post]​
All I will say is that the one and only Orvale I had was bloody Orval. At the time everyone who shared it with me agreed. Someone was brave and tried one since and said it was a big improvement.

Orfull - its deliberately got Brett(etc) the organism most winemakers try to avoid
wet musty cardboard smell
it's a challenge! but i suppose my 1st wheat beer was as well...

great selection, now you have to juggle what to drink 1st and what temp and glass for each :)

tangent said:
Orfull - its deliberately got Brett(etc) the organism most winemakers try to avoid
wet musty cardboard smell
it's a challenge! but i suppose my 1st wheat beer was as well...

great selection, now you have to juggle what to drink 1st and what temp and glass for each :)
[post="100211"][/post]​
I seem to remember the sourness, not much in the way of wet cardboard, but it wasn't very memorable so I could have just forgotten.

ross...we got to go back to that bottlo on monday.......damm there is nothing like that on the northside

ozbrewer said:
ross...we got to go back to that bottlo on monday.......damm there is nothing like that on the northside
[post="100215"][/post]​

Better bring your wallet then :) - fabulous array of beers on offer...

The professional storage methods :D used by the chain outlets assure us of a perfect drop every time!!!

Went to Theo's at Maroochydore yesterday and bought a Euro selection again. Couldn't pass the Duvel and one went home with me again. So dissapointed! it was really bad, similar to any megaswill that has been refrigerated, allowed to get hot and then been refrigerated again. Pheewwwth.

Orval is truly a strange beast. It has the horse blanket or horse sweat flavours that are talked about in belgian beers. I cant say I'm a huge fan, but it's another star in the constellation of beer.

Rochefort 10 is a favourite of mine, but Bush is also quite nice. The beer is marketed as Belgian's strongest, and they've gone right out to make it taste that way. Huge warming esters and alcohol flavours, perfect for a winters night, maybe not so welcome in the middle of summer.

Orval's problem is simple. Sourness (read; brett) and hopiness simply don't mix. <_<

OTOH A similar configuration works perfectly well in Guiness Foreign Extra Stout. :rolleyes:

Other than that I agree... Orval is the only Trappist that sucks major arse. :ph34r:

Warren -

This thread makes me very sad.

I think I could write pages on why I think Orval is the best beer in the world, but it probably suffices to say that it is the only commercial beer I buy regularly.

Malnourished said:
This thread makes me very sad.

I think I could write pages on why I think Orval is the best beer in the world, but it probably suffices to say that it is the only commercial beer I buy regularly.
[post="100249"][/post]​

Brother Mal,

Surely not the entire thread.

Some say that beer is an acquired taste, but it's easily acquired.
Maybe it's a bit less acquirable with Belgians which have sour or "non-standard" flavours.

I'd be happy if U wanted to start another thread to extoll the virtues of Orval. I just checked and could not find a thread for it.

Testify, Brother Malnourished!

Seth out :p

i'd be interested in your ideas on the brews Ross, especially Orval.

Rossco, how did you rate the Chimay grande reserve? Its pretty 'tasty' to say the least.

Black Skeep ale is a very nice drop Ross, and at 4.4% abv an easy beer to drink as well.

Cheers
Andrew

Orval is like licking an old leather boot. <_< Don't ask me how I know that. :ph34r: :lol: :p

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Orval is like licking an old leather boot. <_< Don't ask me how I know that. :ph34r: :lol: :p

Warren -
[post="100432"][/post]​

Would that be an old Belgian Leather Boot?

Well i just could not help myself, A trip out the Ross' palce to taste one of every of the 10 taps...+ a few extras was not enough, i had to stop into the bottleshop (with Ross as the navigator)

belg.jpg

brit.jpg

german.jpg

Latest posts

Back