Beer Selection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well thats quite a collection there. landlord is superb, and youngs dcs is a great desert even if you're skipping dinner!!
joe

Ross said:
British, Belguim etc...
[post="79531"][/post]​

You must mean "Britian, Belguim" etc?

Sorry to pick on this post, Ross, but "Belgium" is a country and "Belgian" means things from Belgium, just as "Britain" is a country and "British" means things from Britain. I have never seen a community abuse the adjective form of the proper noun as much as Beer heads talking about Belgian beer. Even the Belgian Shepherd Dog nuts get it right 50% of the time.

PostModern said:
Ross said:
British, Belguim etc...
[post="79531"][/post]​

You must mean "Britian, Belguim" etc?

Sorry to pick on this post, Ross, but "Belgium" is a country and "Belgian" means things from Belgium, just as "Britain" is a country and "British" means things from Britain. I have never seen a community abuse the adjective form of the proper noun as much as Beer heads talking about Belgian beer. Even the Belgian Shepherd Dog nuts get it right 50% of the time.
[post="79613"][/post]​

i stand corrected :blink: - at least you ignored my spelling mistake :D

Sean said:
Sneck Lifter is my favorite amongst that lot.
[post="79576"][/post]​

Yep, the limited samples of Jennings I've tried were nice. :beerbang: That said I've only tried the Cocker Hoop. Nice hop finish, particularly on the nose. :rolleyes:

Warren -

Bilph said:
White Shield IPA is a favourite. As is the Old Nick. I've tried the Witches Brew as well, don't remember it that clearly.
I'll be interested to hear your opinion on the Marstons. I don't think I've ever heard of the Double Drop. I like their Pedigree though.
Not heard of the others, but I'm sure that won't impact your enjoyment.
:chug:
[post="79529"][/post]​

I tried the White Shield for the first time this week and I have to say I was quite disappointed. I didn't think it had anywhere near the flavour that an IPA should have. Bland malt, bland hops and neutral yeast flavours. I imagine it probably tastes great fresh, but it really seemed to be missing something when I tried it. To be honest I think James Squire IPA is closer to style and a lot more flavoursome.

Cheers - Snow

Snow: maybe it's the curse of distance striking again. I know most British beers I buy end up like that. Recently I had one that tasted like rank corn water.

So until quiality improves, I don't think I'll be buying too much more imported British beer.

Barfridge.

I often wonder how old and well treated some of these beers are by the time we get them. Also the penchant for some British brewers to package their beers in clear glasss bottles bothers me. <_<

We probably get what Oddbins in the UK rejects or ejects for that matter. :eek:

I must confess I've had some real stinkers in terms of freshness. Add to that you pay through the nose for UK beers. Sometimes as high as $8-9 a bottle. Hard to be tempted when you can produce fresher examples yourself.

Certainly a better experience tasting them on their native soil. :rolleyes:

Warren -

I bought a Whiteshield a few months back and it was gutless.
I was looking forward to being impressed, but never reached any level of impression.

Bought a King&Barnes festive a few years back, and it was great. Still have the yeast from it too.

Seth's 2 cents :p

Weiz.

You must have got a crook 'un. I had a bottle of it a couple of months ago. Although it wasn't in the greatest of shape the hop flavour was very impressive. Made me wonder what it would have been like hot off the press. :beerbang:

Ditto the Festive. Bloody nice drop. :rolleyes:

Warren -

Snow said:
Bilph said:
White Shield IPA is a favourite. As is the Old Nick. I've tried the Witches Brew as well, don't remember it that clearly.
I'll be interested to hear your opinion on the Marstons. I don't think I've ever heard of the Double Drop. I like their Pedigree though.
[post="79529"][/post]​

I tried the White Shield for the first time this week and I have to say I was quite disappointed. I didn't think it had anywhere near the flavour that an IPA should have. Bland malt, bland hops and neutral yeast flavours. I imagine it probably tastes great fresh, but it really seemed to be missing something when I tried it. To be honest I think James Squire IPA is closer to style and a lot more flavoursome.

Cheers - Snow
[post="79632"][/post]​

Mine were all tried in the UK, and I have to admit going back a few years now.
I'm a bit hesitant about trying UK beers out here. As others have said the cost doesn't represent great value, especially if it falls short of expectations and they're generally quite easy to brew a decent example yourself.
Of course, I'm happy to hear what others think and try anything that's considered to have survived the journey.
Pity about the White Shield, Snow. You'd think of all brews and IPA should be able to make it out here pretty much intact.
Now I don't know whether I should try it again and risk shattering the illusion or remain trapped in a time warp of blissful ignorance.
:)

Snow said:
Bilph said:
[post="79529"][/post]​

Cheers - Snow
[post="79632"][/post]​
Hmm. I can't say I've ever been bowled over by White Shield. When there were only half a dozen different bottle-conditioned beers being made in England it stood out, but these days...

Having said that, I don't like the Squires IPA much at all. Perhaps because it's fermented with a lager yeast.

[post="79632"][/post]​
[/quote]
Having said that, I don't like the Squires IPA much at all. Perhaps because it's fermented with a lager yeast.
[post="79714"][/post]​
[/quote]

is that true?! that would explain a bit. it always tastes sort of soapy to me.

Sat here enjoying the Burma Star Ale from the hogsback Brewery - One of the nicest examples of an english ale I've drunk in Australia; it has travelled really well - bottled conditioned (I've kept the yeast & emailed Hogsback for some info), & full of character. Grab a bottle if you see it for sale. highly recommened :chug:

and being a good loyal ahb member you will let us all in on any info gathered from the brewery hey ross. ;) hope they deliver

cheers
big d

big d said:
and being a good loyal ahb member you will let us all in on any info gathered from the brewery hey ross. ;) hope they deliver

cheers
big d
[post="85153"][/post]​

goes without question :beer:

Just drank the White Sheild IPA - must admit I wasn't expecting too much, with some of the comments posted here & to be honest, it was never a favourite when I lived in England... But I really liked it. Bitterness was spot on, fresh hop taste & nicely tart. Not as good as the Burma Ale, but a bloody nice drop... I wonder if it's down to individual taste or people trying out of date/ light struck beers?

personal taste i reckon ross
you either love a beer or you dont.

cheers
big d

Ross said:
big d said:

cheers
big d
[post="85153"][/post]​

goes without question :beer:
[post="85155"][/post]​

Got an answer quite quickly, telling me the yeast was from the "Hook Norton" brewery & I'd have to ask them. Then out the blue got this reply today. Negative but pleasent - seems they didn't even realise their product's being exportrd here...

G'day Ross

Thanks for your email of some time ago, and first of all apologies for taking so long to reply.

We were interested to hear that you've managed somehow to get to drink BSA in Brisbane; I've been there myself quite a lot - I lived in Sydney for 6 years and spent several months working in Brissie - and I wonder how you came across it in amongst all the chilled XXXX and other lagers?!

Having had a chat with the directors here I have to report that the recipes are of course closely guarded secrets, so we can't share the details of what we do, including the strain of yeast. Sorry about that, but I should think you expected that response!

Ross, I don't know whether you hail from the UK and will return sometime, or whether you're not a pom but might plan to visit some time, but fellow brewers are always welcome. If you think you might use them, I'd be happy to send on a couple of complimentary tour vouchers so that you might call in and see us if you're ever in these parts. Send me your address if you'd like me to do this.

Thanks for your interest and good luck with the brewing! Sorry we couldn't help you out with your enquiry.

With best regards,

Mark Keohane
General Manager
Hogs Back Brewery

Still,

Any reply is a good reply from somewhere like that. Thanks for posting it.

How do you plan to use the yeast ross? Got a batch planned? Standard 20*C fermentation?

Gotta love the Ruddles! Other great Pommie beers not pictured above include Bishop's Finger by Shepherd Neame, and anything by Samuel Smith - especially their Tadcaster Porter and their Nut Brown Ale.

Latest posts

Back