Beer Recipes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone give me either a decent beer stock recipe or beer batter recipe?
In fact any decent beer cooking recipe would be interesting.

Thanks!

Beer batter?

Just whatever volume of beer (beer - any basic pale beer- and roughly just under the amount of batter you want) in a bowl. Add equal parts of plain flour and self raising flour slowly, whisking as you go.

You are looking for a liquid that resembles thick cream which should just coat the fish. No need to make it too thick like porridge.

Add a pinch of salt and a pinch of sodium bicarb. Make sure it's whisked till it's nice and smooth.

Whatever you fry with it should be lightly dusted with flour then dipped in the batter and excess allowed to drip off. Fry in clean hot oil (about 220), remove and drain with aeration (eg cake cooling rack) then salted lightly to soak up excess oil and season at the same time.

Great thanks Manticle.

Looking forward to trying this out on the wife and kids when I get back home on the weekend!! :)

Cheers
Colin

I've made batter with stout and porter and some dill mixed into the batter - pretty good...

sap.

A much lighter batter - an amount of rice flour, and the same amount of COLD fizzy light beer, (sprinkle of cayenne/salt/garlic powder etc) makes for a great tempura...

Dip yer prawns or veggies in that...

The stock in a good beef and ale pie is simply created by the meat and onion and liquid... Stout, Brown ale, even a good cider etc over time (Thyme)..., coat the beef in flour and fry in butter and onions till it browns off, pour into pastry along with some beer (not much though, a lot of water comes out of the meat), salt, pepper and my preference would be for a suet pastry which you steam for a couple of hours... then again, puff pastry... or a good short crust...

Latest posts

Back