Beer Palate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first and most important thing to remember about a beer palate and even a wine palate -- is that it isn't about taste, its about a common and shared language to describe taste.

No-one, not the most educated and fancy beer r wine guy/girl in the world, can tell you what you do or don't taste in a beer. You are always .. I emphasize ALWAYS .. right about what you taste.

The trick - is to learn how to describe what you taste, so that other people know what you mean. Acetylaldehyde has been mentioned -- what does that taste like?? Well, the classic descriptor is green apples. Great - fine. You taste green apples in a beer and its probably acetylaldehyde. What f you don't?

Not everyone tastes it like that. I taste acetylaldehyde in dark beers as a kind of red current flavour ... and in light beers as a bruised red apple flavour (that smell you get when you open a plastic bag of supermarket apples and one is all mankey...) but not, never; as green apples.

So your palate is important, and experience will develop its sensitivity. BUT - the biggest thing is learning the language. Acetylaldehde is "this" -- and when people talk about green apples, you have to mentally substitute what you taste into the conversation.

All the wine wankery about cassis, hints of tobacco, a dash of leather etc etc -- has its equivalent in beer. Light pear esters, subtle but present diacetyl, woody notes with vanilla and dark fruit highlights...

All that crap is code -- its real, but its code. You might not taste exactly whats being described, but an educated, experienced taster - who also doesn't taste whats being described - knows what they mean anyway. The flavours have actual numbers -- some frigging geek has codified this and assigned a number to all the flavours and smells you might find in a beer or a wine. And no matter what they might individually taste or smell .. educated tasters know that flavour number xxxx is (for instance) fatty acid... and when they say rancid, off butter etc etc -- they all know that what they really mean is flavour number xxxx. Its code.

So you educate your palate to identify what you like and don't like ... then you educate your mind to translate between what you taste, and the "standard" tastes, so that you can effectively communicate to someone else.

And thats what most of the BJCP stuff is about; its what most of the sensory education courses you could take about wine or beer are about. They aren't about what you actually taste -- no one can tell you that except yourself. They are about how the hell you go about communicating what you taste to someone who doesn't share your taste buds.

Trust your tastebuds -- someone who tells you that you aren't tasting what you think you are tasting - Is wrong. Plain and simple. Whether you and he/she share enough common language to work out your differences........... is a matter of education.

TB

Well there thirsty boy. Great replay. What you say about being able to describe what you taste is exactly right. I brew for only one reason and that is to make the perfect beer. It does not have to follow style or taste like a comercial example. It just has to be the perfect beer for me. But to get there, i need to be able to idnetify all the flavours and aromas in my brew. And i think that's what's holding me back. Unless u got the language, u don't know what u're tasting. Even more important, unless u got the experiance, you dont know what is going on. It took me many brews and my father to tell me "i can always tell it's your brew" till i realise i got a DMS problem. A simple problem easily fixed but it took me so long to realise. That's what i mean when i ask how do you develop a beer palate.

It's a very complex hobby we got ourselves gentelmen and ladies. And i'll happily die saying "I still know fuk all about brewing beer"

Good call on the cidry/acetylaldehyde flavor manticle. I had this acidity a few times now. Never thought to have called it green apples but now that you have it is very much like green apples. Will have to look at my yeasts now. Just started using liquid yeast in the last batch so hopefully no green apples from now on.
Love it when i learn something new!!! Thanks!!!

I also enjoy learning new things and often learn that I may be wrong about something.

Just came across this page which indicates that cider and acetylaldehyde flavours in beer may not be related. Now I'm confused although it makes no sense to me that fully fermentable sugar could ever taste like cider (otherwise a million belgian beers and Australian beers would all taste like three oaks).

Useful page anyway:

http://www.homebrewzone.com/off-flavors.htm

I've been married to mrs warra for 34 years.
I've never been right yet.

I do brew beer I love. Occasionally (like 1 in 10 brews) she'll agree to take a taste and tell me it's "very nice". At other times she'll screw her face up. So far the very malty lightly hopped brews are winning.

She is really a non-drinker. Half a glass of red sees her done for the day.

Doesn't stop her appreciating the well aged reds from our cellar though.

Back on topic. To develop a '"palate" you need to exercise that palate. That means you need to drink. However, don't just drink oodles and try to figure it for yourself. Drink something where you've read a review, and see if your tasting experiences match. Do the same with tasting beers of a certain style against the BJCP guidelines.

I guess, it comes back to what Thirsty said. Understand what you are tasting, and learn how to communicate it.

I've been married to mrs warra for 34 years.
I've never been right yet.

I do brew beer I love. Occasionally (like 1 in 10 brews) she'll agree to take a taste and tell me it's "very nice". At other times she'll screw her face up. So far the very malty lightly hopped brews are winning.

She is really a non-drinker. Half a glass of red sees her done for the day.

Doesn't stop her appreciating the well aged reds from our cellar though.

Back on topic. To develop a '"palate" you need to exercise that palate. That means you need to drink. However, don't just drink oodles and try to figure it for yourself. Drink something where you've read a review, and see if your tasting experiences match. Do the same with tasting beers of a certain style against the BJCP guidelines.

I guess, it comes back to what Thirsty said. Understand what you are tasting, and learn how to communicate it.

Well 34 years cheers to that! I did ten and still getting over it anywho!

I agree with the communication part as everyone knows what there tasting its just how to say it so other people can understand it... so once again as Thirsty said its a code a language.

The other day PP came around with a sample (out of the fermenter) of his infected beer to do a blind test which came out of a double batch we had done together. so we did a blind test, now I have never being able to taste the apple (sorry cant spell that big word) in his beer. BUT I did the blind test and I could pick the apples. My taste buds then went back further and I now know the taste PP has being talking about in his beers for nearly two years now. I actually dont mind it I always put it down to PP beer taste. (always well crafted) Now saying that my partner Lloydie could not pick the taste of apples in his beer. Why?

They call wine drinkers wankers or snobs but I think your palate for beer needs to be far snobbier then wine there are just so many more variables (correct me if Im wrong)..

If they manage it in any manner other than a through a deep understanding of process and a strict adherence to a particular method I'll take back my point completely.

To add to my previous comments - process and understanding it is integral to making good beer anyway. Whether making simple brews or making complicated hopbursts, you need to have everything else working in your favour. Adding 6 different hops to 12 different malts won't make a difference if you ferment at 32 degrees for 3 days and splash everything all over the place.

To add to my previous comments - process and understanding it is integral to making good beer anyway. Whether making simple brews or making complicated hopbursts, you need to have everything else working in your favour. Adding 6 different hops to 12 different malts won't make a difference if you ferment at 32 degrees for 3 days and splash everything all over the place.

Good call

Back