Beer Only Holding Good Head When Plenty Of Carbonation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerSwiller

Reaction score
Hi,

Wondering why all my beers only hold a good head when I give plenty of carbonation and if a glass doesnt excite the co2 well, then the head flat....

Any Ideas?

Is there something im doing wrong with my AG brews?

I just single infusion mash, fly sparge..

Tried with lots of glasses......

Any help please, confused......

What is a normal recipe and what is your mash temp... Both will have a big impact on head retention... Also do you have any other processes you do?

Mash would be light body typically 65c,
I have made other brews with higher body which seem to hold alot better..

All my methods seem to be in line with the normal and wouldn't have thought id have much of a problem..

Head does seem to be 'bubbly' and not very fine in texture

I have the same problems since going AG. Carb seems fine just pours with little to no head. I can make a little head if i pour it rough, but it does not last.

I generally mash in around 60 and work my way up to 65/66, hold, then mash out.

low serving pressure ?

What is your grain bill?

Are you using any specialty grains which can enhance head retention?

What style of beer are you brewing?

Hi,

The type of brew I have at the moment is a Irish Stout; (RB, Choc malt) and this one was mashed at 67 for 60min fly sparged, about 4.5% ABV

I dont rinse glass first before pouring.

Detergent residues are the biggest head killers. An all grain beer should hold its head without a problem.
gf

Hi,

The type of brew I have at the moment is a Irish Stout; (RB, Choc malt) and this one was mashed at 67 for 60min fly sparged, about 4.5% ABV

I dont rinse glass first before pouring.

try cleaning well, then use some kind of acid (starsan, vinegar etc) to rinse, then rinse again with clean water. Have a sip of water from the glass before pouring to make sure all the vinegar/acid has gone. If not, rinse again.

I also find my head retention improves with a bit of conditioning (I'm talking days/weeks not weeks/ months.

Latest posts

Back