Beer Line On To Qc Barb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi

Reaction score
My kegging setup has ground to halt as I'm getting driven to the point of madness while trying to get the beer and gas line on the QC barbs. Does anyone have any tips to make this less painful?

My current practice is to sit the end of the line in just boiled water for about 10 mins and then commence swearing and straining for 20mins to get the barb on ... it hasn't been effective. Tried holding the line with different pliers but just damaged the line. Tried holding the end of the line in boiling water on the stove for ages (15mins), no joy.

I tend to get about half a centimetre on before the line either gets warped by my efforts, the line cools down and stops giving or I get too exhausted or all of the above.

For the record I have 5mm Cobra plus line and consider myself relatively fit.

Any tips?

sell the setup...and go back to bottles, you'll only drink larger quantities of beer faster with the trusty kegs setup.

After you have had the beer line in boiling water try reeming it out with a large philips head screw driver. This makes the hose a bit bigger and will then fit nicely.

Kabooby :)

I sometimes use circlip pliers to pre stretch the hose...

Having said that, most of the time I just apply more force :)

Andy

After you have had the beer line in boiling water try reeming it out with a large philips head screw driver. This makes the hose a bit bigger and will then fit nicely.

Kabooby :)

Or strech it with a pair of needle nose pliers. Did the trick for me.

FROGMAN

Replace with John Guest fittings

pumpy :)

JG_Fitting.JPG

I second the needle nose pliers, very effective, put it in a little, and open them to stretch it then go a little further in and do the same, takes about 20 seconds of getting it all stretched and it just goes on smooth as shite out of a ducks arse... just don't plan of getting them back off, you'll have to cut it!

Make sure you heat the barb too, otherwise it just makes the beerline cool down too quickly and lose its flexibility.

I agree with the MFL and JG fittings. I hate barbs...

I just use (and sell) 6mm line, I figure thats what the manufacture intends you to use on a 6mm barb.

Same for all the fittings I order in, I specify 6mm cooler couplings, tees and guns, the micromatic regs have 6mm barbs to, so everything is integrated.

I think the difference in price between 5 and 6mm line could only be measured in fractions of a cent - so no real difference.

Never had any problem putting bits together

MHB

Fark heating line or barb with water/ lighter or whatever. its a waste of time. Just give it a stretch, barbs rule I cant see why people seem to hate them.
After years of Chemistry I've seen more barb connections than cold beers, they work the treat.
No offense Bonji.

Or strech it with a pair of needle nose pliers. Did the trick for me.

FROGMAN

Or the tip of a ballpoint pen, one of those ones with a nice conical metal end. Bonj's tip about heating the barb is a good one too.

Thanks gents,
I'll give the needle nose pliars a hit out tonight and warm up the burr. If all fails and I still feel pathetic I'll opt for the other fittings.

Is it OK to warm up the QC burr with a lighter?

Is it OK to warm up the QC burr with a lighter?

maybe, I wouldnt wanna melt the plastic the barb sticks into. I think its overkill heating up the barb anyway, I've done it about 10 times (with 5 and 6mm id line) without having to heat the barb... just stretch the tube a little.

I also like to dunk the tube in hot water, but slowly remove it, so the tip of the tube is the softest. I found it I fully softened more than about 0.5-1cm of the tubing it wouldnt take the compressional load and just fold, but you still need it soft enough to stretch good :)

Back