Beer line lengths

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mall

Reaction score
Hi all, setting up a new kegerator this morning.

Is there a recommended length of 4mm beer line from keg to tap?

I have the keg King raised font, 3 tap model and have misplaced the manual. I'm sure it is covered there.

I would appreciate any advice.

What sort of taps?

Craft brewer have those flow restriction curly thing you fit into the pick up that help to reduce line length.. OFF the top of my head I think it's 3-4m of line stock standard.

Yep about 4m ideally. The rule of thumb is multiply your internal diameter by 1000. So for 4mm ID you'd be looking at 4000mm or 4m legnth.

Thanks guys. Is the length of Gas line critical? I will connect my CO2 bottle with a 3 way splitter to 3 kegs with these thingys:
GAS%20LINE%20SPLITTER.JPG

4m seems way too long for 4mm line. I cant remember if mine is 4 or 5mm diameter but is 2.4m long.

From Keg King, "For 4mm ID (internal diameter) beer line the length should be 1.8-2.5m"

I would start at 2.7m and cut down to get the system in balance, but 2.4m works for me in a kegerator with shanked taps.

Mall said:
Thanks guys. Is the length of Gas line critical? I will connect my CO2 bottle with a 3 way splitter to 3 kegs with these thingys:
GAS%20LINE%20SPLITTER.JPG
Gas line length is not important at all. Go as short as you need while still keeping it flexible for moving kegs around, etc.

Those valves work well in my setup, a couple of things I've found though; I've broken a couple of them at the 't' joint, happens when I open the fridge door in a hurry and the disconnect is caught behind a keg, and it pulls the valve part sideways and snap-hiss-****. I guess its a weak point, but it only happens 'cos I've fixed the 3 ways to the fridge door. The valve can still be salvaged as an inline valve though.
Also I found when you push in the pipe and fit the blue clip, give the pipe another push in and it will pop in another 3-4mm. Was getting some gas seeping through until I found that little trick.

And enjoy pouring the tasty beer! Prost!

Mall said:
Hi all, setting up a new kegerator this morning.

Is there a recommended length of 4mm beer line from keg to tap?

I have the keg King raised font, 3 tap model and have misplaced the manual. I'm sure it is covered there.

I would appreciate any advice.
It depends on your situation.
Line length is determined by line diameter, temperature of beer being served & at what kpa you wish to carbonate your beer.
I've found it much easier to carbonate my beer @ serving presssure, 70kpa.
For my situation using 4mm beer line, beer temp of 3deg, it equates to 2.5m of beer line.

Latest posts

Back