Beer infection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slats69

Reaction score
I've just bottled 1 of my brews & after 1 day there is a scum around the top of the bottles. is this an infection in the beer ?

i would suggest that is just bottle fermentation which is normal. Can you load a photo?

I had this once when I did a ginger beer and it disappeared after a few weeks and settled to the bottom.

What was your FG? Did you measure it over a few days and it didn't change? If the yeast hasn't finished doing it may still be fermenting and is an explosion risk. Don't panic yet, because like Pratty1 said it's probably normal.

It fermented for 16 & the reading was 1015

1392699840920.jpg

I've had this happen for the occasional brew. I tend to find it happens more when I don't cold crash.

How did it taste out of the fermenter?

P.S. don't put it in the sun ;p

I find i got it from acetobactor or a similiar bug. Tends to die off and dissapear once the oxygen in the bottle is converted to CO2.
#notastechanges

I agree with the above. If it's in each bottle it's was present in the fermenter and if it fermented through and tasted fine you're good to go.

FG of 1.015 is highish, but it all depends on what you brewed and how you did it. Did you fermet it for 16 days or at 16°C? Either way if you took the same reading over a few days it's probably fine.

Are they all in PET bottles? If so check them morning and evening to make sure they aren't too tight.

PETs will swell up mighty big before they blow so you should be OK.

Latest posts

Back