Beer Icecream

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercs Own

blabla
Reaction score
I keep reading on these forums and others how people need to reduce the beer before putting it into the icecream mix so as to consentrate flavour etc So I made two ice cream this weekend with the same wheat beer. In one I reduced 1 cup of beer by two thirds then chilled the result and put that into my icecream mix . In the other I put half a cup of beer in to my icecream mix.

The icecream with the reduced beer was lovely but you couldnt really tell there was beer in it and certainly not what beer was in it. The icecream with the full and untampered beer in it tasted like beer icecream and quite possibly one would be able to have a good guess at what the beer was.

It would seem that reducing the beer kills off alcohol and flavour - so I am unclear why people think it is better.

This one example would suggest to me that reducing the beer doesnt add anything but instead removes much.

Look forward to any comments on this.

I keep reading on these forums and others how people need to reduce the beer before putting it into the icecream mix so as to consentrate flavour etc So I made two ice cream this weekend with the same wheat beer. In one I reduced 1 cup of beer by two thirds then chilled the result and put that into my icecream mix . In the other I put half a cup of beer in to my icecream mix.

The icecream with the reduced beer was lovely but you couldnt really tell there was beer in it and certainly not what beer was in it. The icecream with the full and untampered beer in it tasted like beer icecream and quite possibly one would be able to have a good guess at what the beer was.

It would seem that reducing the beer kills off alcohol and flavour - so I am unclear why people think it is better.

This one example would suggest to me that reducing the beer doesnt add anything but instead removes much.

Look forward to any comments on this.

so no one is making icecream - what it is too cold for you?

How does the dairy work with the beer? I can't even stand to have ice cream and beer in the same stomach let alone the same mouth.

How do you think it might work as a sorbet? Like a big AIPA sorbet - all fruity and oh god I want some now.

How does the dairy work with the beer? I can't even stand to have ice cream and beer in the same stomach let alone the same mouth.

How do you think it might work as a sorbet? Like a big AIPA sorbet - all fruity and oh god I want some now.

I make a Kriek Lambic sorbet which is delicious - beer ice cream works really well you just need to use the right beer and get the balance right!

At one of the breweries I worked at we had 3 different types of beer ice cream pistachio nut and pale ale, walnut and amber ale and the last one was a red lager sorbet!! They were all fantastic :icon_drool2: and I'll be doing some at True South as soon as our Chef pulls his finger out. <_<

At one of the breweries I worked at we had 3 different types of beer ice cream pistachio nut and pale ale, walnut and amber ale and the last one was a red lager sorbet!! They were all fantastic :icon_drool2: and I'll be doing some at True South as soon as our Chef pulls his finger out. <_<

A wee jimmy caramel and macadamia!*

*If you steal my idea Taj, you owe me a freebie! :p

beer ice cream works really well you just need to use the right beer and get the balance right!
Talking to you in another thread reminded me of this thread and I thought I should post a quick amendment to my opinion above.

SWMBO made a chocolate ice-cream with a bottle of my RIS. Now, I'm no chocolate ice-cream fan but this turned out to be one of the better ice-creams I have ever had. The roastiness and bitterness subdued by the sweetness all sitting under all that dark chocolate...mmmmm, t'was pretty nice. And the alcohol (I presume) made the texture amazing - easily the most professional home-made icecream I've ever had (most people's seem to go a bit hard in the freezer).

I mucked around with some oatmeal stout icecream the other night. I did the same as you Mercs, did half with straight beer and half with the beer reduced to a syrup. The reduced version was extremely bitter and I had to add a heap of sugar to make it palatable. Other than that they were both pretty good.

Wouldn't reducing the beer drive off the alcohol and most of the flavour, which would seem to be counter productive unless you were after malt based bitterness?

I might have a crack at doing one with a chocolaty saison stout I've got on tap at the moment.
Ta Mercs.

Its a strange thing but practise makes perfect.

I did a heffeweizen ice cream for my book - one was just straight beer into the mix the other I reduced the beer by about half and added that to another mix. Hands down everyone prefered the reduced beer ice cream mostly because it had a creamier texture due to the reduction of the beer and therefore less volume. I prefered the non reduced one because I could taste the beer more cleanly.

I did try it with a stout and it was shocking as all it did was accentuate the bitterness to a horrible point.

I am sure reducing a rochforte 10 would be bloody beautiful as it has all those other sugars and malt characters but a pils/ipa/stout wouldnt work because of the high ibu's and less malt character.

Saison stout????? Yum! Let me know how it goes and hey you dont have to reduce by half or more you can just reduce down 1/4 or a 1/3 and see how that goes. I reckon it would work a treat.

Used to make this when i worked at a two hat restaurant in the city.

James Squires Porters Ice Cream

675 mL James Squires Porter
675 mL Milk
1125 mL cream
125g Glucose

625g Castor Sugar
500g Egg Yolks

*Add half the sugar to the liquids and bring to boil, take off heat.

*Whisk remaining sugar into egg yolks till pale.

*Add hot liquid mix to egg and sugar mix, whisking together.

*Cook ice cream base to 80 degrees celius with cooking prob in another pot. STIRRING THE THE BOTTOM. ALWAYS STIRRING !!!

*Cool and churn in ice cream maker.

Goes awesome with anything chocolate. Especially chocolate fondant.

The Apprentices at Harts have taken the beer sorbet route with much conviction. I think our Winter Menu is going to have a permanent sorbet, it is a fixture in our monthly BeerGustation dinners. Paul (Head Cheffie) in the Beergustations does both a sweet and a sour Sorbet matched with a corresponding sour and sweet belgium beer (krieks etc) and it works really well.

I'm much more a fan of sorbets than ice creams, we've found you need to be careful on the BU of the beer though. Our Hangman Pale at 40BU comes thru with a massive wack and can over power the sorbet. Our Porter though at 25 BU was much better and pretty devine.

When your in Sydney Merc it would be great to introduce you to the kitchen staff. They are cooking more and more with beer (pale ale battered apple bigneuttes (spelling) were awesome) but there is a limited few for them to swap ideas with.

Scotty

The Apprentices at Harts have taken the beer sorbet route with much conviction. I think our Winter Menu is going to have a permanent sorbet, it is a fixture in our monthly BeerGustation dinners. Paul (Head Cheffie) in the Beergustations does both a sweet and a sour Sorbet matched with a corresponding sour and sweet belgium beer (krieks etc) and it works really well.

I'm much more a fan of sorbets than ice creams, we've found you need to be careful on the BU of the beer though. Our Hangman Pale at 40BU comes thru with a massive wack and can over power the sorbet. Our Porter though at 25 BU was much better and pretty devine.

When your in Sydney Merc it would be great to introduce you to the kitchen staff. They are cooking more and more with beer (pale ale battered apple bigneuttes (spelling) were awesome) but there is a limited few for them to swap ideas with.

Scotty

Hey Scotty was in the Pub a few weeks back and had the poppers with a couple of beers. Poppers were good - different to mine. I will let you know next time I am up that way.

Back