Beer Gas On Or Off?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juzz1981

Reaction score
Quick Question,

I have only had my keg setup for about 3 weeks and have carbed 2 kegs and drank one, though i noticed on the regulator that the KPA for the cylinder has dropped slightly to 4200kpa.

I have thouoghly checked previously for leaks and are using john guest fittings so im not sure if i should be turning the gas off after each session? As i have been leaving it on up until now.

Changes in temperature will affect the cylinder reading

Got me too when I first got a keg system

The cylinder pressure will fluctuate with temps - the reading won't be very meaningful until the cylinder is just about empty

Cheers

Edit: If you are concerned you can weigh the cylinder and see if it's weight is dropping significantly over the next few days

I turn my CO2 off at the bottle when I'm not using the system. Then again I don't have three gas disconnects going to each keg either, I just move the one around as needed. I am interested to see what everyone else is doing though.

Mine stays on constantly, 4 kegs connected to it in a kegerator.

Crundle

Mine stays on. At least two, sometimes three kegs.

Make sure you have no leaks and leave it on.

mine's on all the time (6 kegs) I have had 2 leaks and emptied the bottle (twice) in no time.

Yep mines on all the time.

The "remaining gas" gague on my regulator seems to be a bit all over the place anyway - I can hammer the kegs and will hardly move at all, then other times it seems to notivably move after a couple of pints.

for safety i turn mine off after pouring and turn on beforehand etc etc.

Same as most here, always on. it's either pushing beer out or carbonating, but the kegs are always connected.

I usually turn the gas off after the last pour of the night... that is if i'm in a state to remember.
I do sometimes leave it on for a couple of days if carbing a keg... usually partly force carb then leave at serving pressure for a day or 2. But generally on and off in the same session.

<_< i'm sure last Wednesday night you said you turned it off as your a tight arse, or was that something else you were referring too :lol:
for safety i turn mine off after pouring and turn on beforehand etc etc.

Back