Beer Filter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ross, the package just says 1 micron on it nothing about nominal or absolute. researching it an absolute is .o5 to 1 micron. So maybe i got duded on the filter. It could have been the seal as well. I am hard pressed to purchase an absolute as they are 39 bones, I am already in the dog house over the filter ;) But am still very happy with the results anyway.

jimmyjack said:
Ross, the package just says 1 micron on it nothing about nominal or absolute. researching it an absolute is .o5 to 1 micron. So maybe i got duded on the filter. It could have been the seal as well. I am hard pressed to purchase an absolute as they are 39 bones, I am already in the dog house over the filter ;) But am still very happy with the results anyway.
[post="77114"][/post]​

Jimmy, just ring the company you bought it from to find out.
www.purerain.com.au sell the 1 micron absolute for $18.

Cheers Ross

Warren,
You use your filter yet? How did it go?
Won't be able to use mine for another couple of weeks.
Darren

Darren.

Nup, still sitting in the box. Problem is I haven't got a cloudy beer to put through it yet. I've got 40 litres of ESB and 40 litres of Mild made with Wyeast 1968 as clear as a bell.

Filtering would be a waste of time on them.

I think the trick with these things is just having them on hand. Beer gets worried and clears itself. If only it were that easy. :lol:

A beer to the person who does it first Darren. :beerbang:

Warren -

jimmyjack said:
Well I just filtered my first 1007 german pilsner. I found that i didnt really get that clear. Dont get me wrong it is one of the best beers I have done so far and I think would have been much yeastier, but I though It would be a little more clear. Maybe 1007 is just always gonna hanga round.

That almost looks like a milkshake.
I only make kit beers myself but they are always cloudy and it doesn't seem to matter if I use the likes of Wyeast 1056 etc or the yeast that came with kit. Even after CC for two weeks. So I bought a filter a while back. Pretty much the same as the one mentioned in this thread. The filter I'm using is 1 micron absolute and I bought it from Australian Waterlines.
http://www.waterlines.com.au/products/wine-filters.shtml
I think the price Ross mentioned is much better though.

Here's a pic of a Coopers Bavarian Lager, with kit yeast, after being filtered.
bavarian.jpg

Your filter appears to be POLYPROPYLENE where the one they sent me was pleated polyester. I am thinking that the Poly must be better. Any thoughts??

Ok hopefully my final beer filter thought. I took ross advice and went to pure rain capalaba in brissy, the dude explained to me about nominal and absoloute and i bought an absolute 1 which is pictured on the right for 19 bones. he reckoned that the one that comes with the kit from hydrofoil is a nominal 1 which filters 2 or 3 micron absolute.

Picture_017.jpg

jimmyjack said:
Ok hopefully my final beer filter thought. I took ross advice and went to pure rain capalaba in brissy, the dude explained to me about nominal and absoloute and i bought an absolute 1 which is pictured on the right for 19 bones. he reckoned that the one that comes with the kit from hydrofoil is a nominal 1 which filters 2 or 3 micron absolute.
[post="77312"][/post]​

You'll see a big difference Jimmy, hope the filters the other guys got were "absolute" otherwise they'll have the same headaches - Also I don't like the material your other filter is made out of, I've trialled them & they are much much harder to clean.
Look forward to seeing your results...

Cheers Ross

The filter that came with ours is the same as Jimmyjacks' black one. So it looks like we get two filters with it, that are useless to us.

I think I'll send them an email to let them know that the absolute 1 micron would be better.

Cheers

Hear hear Boots!

Thanks for clarifying it all Jimmyjack. Looks like we've got 2 cartridges each that are basically a pig in a poke.

Warren -

Yes as a 1/2 share owner in one of these systems it appears that the 'we' paid $69 for the housing <_< .

Gauging by AHB'ers original comments on this mobs excellent customer service, lets hope they listen to the feedback and do the right thing. Alternatively they may be able to explain how to get brilliantly clear beer from their system given jimmyjack's experience.

a picture is worth a thousand words and so I would suggest that people following up should send the supplier jimmyjacks photo.

I wouldnt be too nasty to hydrofoil as i priced just the filter canister at purerain and around 59 bucks without john guest tubing or fittings. I still think we all got a really good deal from this mob, just a shame they didnt send out absolutes.

I only ever intended to give them the feedback to help them make a better product (we have to help those who help us).

Here is the email I sent them - their feedback form didn't allow pictures so I linked to this thread. I also referred to specific posts by both Ross and Jimmyjack which I hope you don't mind ( I assumed you wouldn't as this is a public forum anyway).

<snip>

Subject: Brewers Beer Filter
----------------------------------

Hi there, several brewers (including myself) who are members of an on-line community "AussieHomeBrewers" ( http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com ) have purchased your "Beer Brewers Filter Kit" recently.

I have a some feedback for you which is mostly positive, but there is one aspect of the product that you could change, which would make it a much more effective beer filter, and quite possibly a bit more profitable for yourselves.

There is a very good discussion on your filters on the Aussiehomebrewer website at the following webpage:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/Beer_Filter-t6642.html

and you can see the results of filtering with the included 1 micron pleated cartridge on page 7 (link below) within that thread. The picture is in the post by a member called "Jimmyjack":

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/Beer...-t6642-s90.html

As you can see on page 7 in the post by "Ross" there is quite a large difference between an "Absolute 1 Micron" pleated filter, and a "1 Micron Spun" cartridge which is what I'm lead to believe is included in your kit.

Based on these results, all the people who have bought your filter will be throwing away the two included filters, and purchasing an "Absolute 1 Micron" filter - for the exact reasons discussed in the thread. Which makes it a bit of a waste for both yourselves, and us end users.

You could make your product MUCH better by leaving out the two current filters, and substituting them with one of the 1 Micron absolute filters. I have no idea on the costings of the filters you include, but doing this would also make your own freight cheaper as there would be one less filter to ship.

Everyone who has purchased one off you has been very happy with the price, and especially so with the service, which is why I'm taking the time to fill you in.

I hope this information helps - particularly the very informative thread provided above. Feel free to give me a call on 1800 BIG JUGS (number edited for my own safety) if you have any questions / would like any more info

Regards

Michael Boots

Well said Boots. A sensible business proposition which hopefully will appeal to them.

I second that - good letter. You are however assuming it is a "nominal" filter, whereas it may possibly be an "absolute".

Best of luck guys - though seems like this company will do the right thing by you...

Cheers guys. I was thinking the same thing Ross, but Jimmyjack's contact believed it was nominal

quote:
he reckoned that the one that comes with the kit from hydrofoil is a nominal 1 which filters 2 or 3 micron absolute

I figured that was good enough to go with ... especially when you consider ours still hasn't even been used :blink: :rolleyes:

Yeah, Len at pure rain is very knowledgable & a top bloke as well, he helped me tremendously in trialing all sorts of filters & set-ups. But you seriously can't tell just by looking - I have a 0.35 "absolute" filter from Len that is the same type as the one you purchased.
No doubt they'll confirm either way - happy filtering :beer:

ok folks before we gather up the possy lets have someone else do a cloudyish brew and filter thru to see if we get similar or better results. Also their could be a combo of things such as

a. its pretty hard to eyeball a filter and see which is nominal and absolute

b. jimmyjacks stupitidy in filtering

c. 1007 german yeast which hangs in suspension forever

d. nominal 1 micron pleated filter in which we need to get an absolute.

all I know is that on the filter plastic it just says 1 micron, on hydrofoils website it doesnt make mention of nominal or absolute and directs everyone to a supplier website which really only tells us about desalinsation and a whole slew of stuff that doesnt link me to the info I need. Like i said i wasnt that dissapointed with the initial results considering 1007, however if i could get a clearer beer i am willing to put down the 19 bones. I hate to quote Barnaby Joyce on the sale of Telstra but "i am "65% sure that it is a nominal filter and stand by my decision"

I'm just sitting back here tappin' my feet waiting to see Boots' 1800 BIG JUGS.

:lol: :lol:

Well done Boots.

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
I'm just sitting back here tappin' my feet waiting to see Boots' 1800 BIG JUGS.

:lol: :lol:

Well done Boots.

Warren -
[post="77385"][/post]​

Classic :D - you never know, may get an exchange if the wrong type & unused...

Back