Beer Filter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn it!!!! Damn it!!!!!

I have weakened.

I bought one last night. :super:

The washable polyester filter is what sold it for me.

I have a Buno mini filter which works quite well but you have to keep buying filter pads (tampons, they call 'em on the packet) sorta puts you off a bit.

Cheers and Clear Beers,

Just got mine and am excited about filtering a 1007 pilsner in a couple of days. have been reading up on the subject and have found some mixed responces with regards to flavour and body reduction with a .05 micron. Has anyone had any reduction in flavour or head due to filteration with 1 micron pleated filter. Also what is the best way to get the filter cleaned and ready to filter, should i use bleach, napisan, chlorine, should I back filter after done?? :huh:

jimmyjack said:
Just got mine and am excited about filtering a 1007 pilsner in a couple of days. have been reading up on the subject and have found some mixed responces with regards to flavour and body reduction with a .05 micron. Has anyone had any reduction in flavour or head due to filteration with 1 micron pleated filter. Also what is the best way to get the filter cleaned and ready to filter, should i use bleach, napisan, chlorine, should I back filter after done?? :huh:
[post="76339"][/post]​

I use 1 micron & down to 0.35 micron - no loss of flavour or body whatsoever (unless you call suspended yeast flavour/body)

clean by removing filter from cannister, rinse & then put back in cannister with hot water & 1 teaspoon napisan for 24 hrs - rinse & repeat. filter will be like brand new. Backwashing is waste of time.
Before use i run a no rinse steriliser through the whole system...

thanx Ross good info, lots of bs floating around with regards to filtering.

Okay guys, now I should have read all these posts before creating the chill haze discussion.
Hmm, might be a goer to filter at home.
More questions will be forthcoming.
Lindsay.

Ross said:
clean by removing filter from cannister, rinse & then put back in cannister with hot water & 1 teaspoon napisan for 24 hrs - rinse & repeat. filter will be like brand new. Backwashing is waste of time.
[post="76341"][/post]​

Ross, I've had a quick look at Napisan at supermarkets and there seems to be a few kinds. Oxyaction, Oxyaction Stain Remover, Soaker Nappy and Plus Advanced Laundry.
Which one do you buy?

Thunderlips said:
Ross said:
[post="76341"][/post]​

Ross, I've had a quick look at Napisan at supermarkets and there seems to be a few kinds. Oxyaction, Oxyaction Stain Remover, Soaker Nappy and Plus Advanced Laundry.
Which one do you buy?
[post="76407"][/post]​
best just to go for the cheapest hombrand version of napisan you can find, as long as the sanitising ingredient is sodium percarbonate. even better would be 100% sodium percarbonate. however i think you have to buy the pure stuff in bulk. sosman and others(ozbrewer?) have gone down this path.

Thunderlips said:
Ross said:
[post="76341"][/post]​

Which one do you buy?
[post="76407"][/post]​

I think Oxyaction was the last one I used, but any will do - I just bought 20kg of its active ingredient (sodium percarbonate), so will be using that for a fair time to come...

How do you store the filters (after sanitising) if youre not going to use it for some time?

Lindsay Dive said:
How do you store the filters (after sanitising) if youre not going to use it for some time?
[post="76417"][/post]​

I just air dry & store in cupboard...

Ross said:
jimmyjack said:
Ross, was it easy to clean the pellets off of the filter?, as flowers are usually used, I need more info on this whole procedure pics etc.... You my friend are a pioneer!
[post="75610"][/post]​

I'll let you know once I've cleaned it :D - looking pretty gunky at the moment, but reckon it'll be no prob at all....
[post="75613"][/post]​

Jimmy, cleaned up in the usual manner, no problems...

Thats good news, i saw someone modify their filter into a randall by taking out the filter and replacing with a length of pvc tubing with slits. But if it was no hassle no need to go the extra step. Got my filter soakin now!!

Here's one in all it's box-opened glory. Now to work on a murky beer. :blink:

Warren -

Anyone:
how about side-by side pics of (1) filtered and (2) unfiltered beer?
I'm thinking of ordering one for christmas...but if it's an extra 10 mins of time during kegging the result would have to be pretty good...I don't have loads of time unfortunately.
cheers

Bazza said:
Anyone:
how about side-by side pics of (1) filtered and (2) unfiltered beer?
I'm thinking of ordering one for christmas...but if it's an extra 10 mins of time during kegging the result would have to be pretty good...I don't have loads of time unfortunately.
cheers
[post="76477"][/post]​

Not quite filtered & unfiltered - but will give you a good idea & also shows why you don't use "spun" filters:

1_micron_absolute_PET_vs_1_micron_spun.jpg

1 micron "absolute" pleated V 1 micron "spun"

Well I just filtered my first 1007 german pilsner. I found that i didnt really get that clear. Dont get me wrong it is one of the best beers I have done so far and I think would have been much yeastier, but I though It would be a little more clear. Maybe 1007 is just always gonna hanga round.

Picture_015.jpg

Jimmyjack.

You say that's post filtration? :blink:

Sure you didn't accidently slip in a hefeweizen shot? :unsure:

Warren -

jimmyjack said:
Well I just filtered my first 1007 german pilsner. I found that i didnt really get that clear. Dont get me wrong it is one of the best beers I have done so far and I think would have been much yeastier, but I though It would be a little more clear. Maybe 1007 is just always gonna hanga round.
[post="76617"][/post]​
What cartridge did you put in the filter, a 5 micron would do better than that.

Normell

used 1 micron pleated cartridge, you should of seen the crud that the filter took out though. I have some theories about my process.

1.I took phone call and was distracted thus sucking everything through the filter. Not bright.

2. 1007 evidently is a real beyatch of a floculator and even through filtering it stays suspended. Next time for 1007 I will probably try a .05 cartidge

jimmyjack said:
used 1 micron pleated cartridge, you should of seen the crud that the filter took out though. I have some theories about my process.

1.I took phone call and was distracted thus sucking everything through the filter. Not bright.

2. 1007 evidently is a real beyatch of a floculator and even through filtering it stays suspended. Next time for 1007 I will probably try a .05 cartidge
[post="76647"][/post]​

Jimmy. I'd be checking that it's an "absolute" 1 micron & not a "nominal". check with the supplier.
If it is correct, then I'd suggest there's a problem with your seals or filter - The 1 micron will stop when it clogs right up...

Latest posts

Back