Beer Filter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I honestly see no advantage to filtering on the way to the tap. It only takes a few minutes to filter from one keg to another, unless you have run out of kegs.....in which case maybe you should have spent the money on another keg rather than a filter

Hoops

That's what I intend to do.

I usually brew 40 litre batches. Might just filter both at once. Makes sense rather than setting up the filter twice. That said for the first batch I might only do one keg so I can make some comparisons. :beerbang:

Getting really fired up to try it out now. Can't have it until Sunday though. I'm half tempted to filter an ESB I'm going to rack Friday night. :unsure:

Warren -

As Boots pointed out, probably make a great "Randall" inline rather than using as a filter - you can get 5" ones rather than the standard 10" which could be really good for this - may give it a try....

Ross,

While you're there can I pick your brain? :unsure:

If I dry-hop in the keg for say a week then filter to another keg, how much of the dry-hopping effects are negated? Also does the hop crud from dry-hopping cause any hassles with the filter membranes? :beerbang:

Think we may have to dub you Dr. Filter Ross. :lol:

Thanks.

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Ross,

While you're there can I pick your brain? :unsure:

If I dry-hop in the keg for say a week then filter to another keg, how much of the dry-hopping effects are negated? Also does the hop crud from dry-hopping cause any hassles with the filter membranes? :beerbang:

Think we may have to dub you Dr. Filter Ross. :lol:

Thanks.

Warren -
[post="74838"][/post]​

Warren, doesn't negate the dry hopping at all - but ive only dry hopped in the cask in bags, as worried about tubes clogging etc...
i dry hop in secondary all the time & no problems filtering the transferred beer...

++++

Just a small tip when you start filtering:

To stop any chance of oxidation effects - I fill the filter with sterilised water - screw on the lid - & then force the water out with CO2 just before filtering - This ensures filter cannister purged of air before you fill with beer - then just press the release valve as you start to run the beer & she'll fill up & purge the CO2...

hope that makes sense....

All good points. I will go with filtering first.
Haven't got mine yet. Maybe today
cheers
Darren

Ross said:
To stop any chance of oxidation effects - I fill the filter with sterilised water - screw on the lid - & then force the water out with CO2 just before filtering - This ensures filter cannister purged of air before you fill with beer - then just press the release valve as you start to run the beer & she'll fill up & purge the CO2...

hope that makes sense....
[post="74840"][/post]​

Thanks Ross. Makes perfect sense.

I do a similar thing with my kegs when I'm storing longer-term. ie; Stronger Ales etc. I fill the keg with boiled water. Let it cool for a while, then push the water out with CO2. This gives peace of mind in terms of entrained O2.

Warren -

How do you reckon one of these filters would go "inline"?
Would you lose carbonation as the beer passes through the filter?

I agree with Hoops, ice cream beers.

When dispensing beer from a keg system, any change in the diameter of the serving hose to a larger diameter means a decrease in pressure and CO2 comes out of solution.

I HATE YOU GUYS!!!!

;)

I've just ordered one even though I spent too much recently (on more kegs, taps etc). However, I gave a little bit of thought to the process and saved some money by going halves in one with a fellow insectoid brewer who lives around the corner :)

Seriously though, if you're putting off on ordering one of these (because you've already ordered your christmas present), it makes some sense to go halves in one with a brewer in your area. It's not the kind of thing you'll need to use every night, so it'll be pretty easy to coordinate it between the different parties, and if you're worried / paranoid, just buy a seperate filter for each brewer (though i doubt that would be necessary).

So thanks for the heads up on the deal, it will really suit my hands off approach to kegging: no secondary ferment, and cold conditioning in the keg. At least now if i want to take a keg to a party i won't have to worry about the sludge getting all stirred up. :beer:

To quote Warren - "welcome to the bright side" :D

Hey guys,
Got my filter last night. Unfortunately one of the guest fittings had been snapped (bloody aussie post) :(
I emailed the guys at Hydrofil.
They wrote straight back and are supplying a new fitting free of charge.
Great service from these guys :super:
cheers
Darren

ok the pressure was to much

any one have 2 spare black QD's

I was thinking of filtering my recently kegged ESB on the weekend. However after using Wyeast 1968 the thing is crystal clear like it's already been filtered. S'pose it's not a bad thing. <_<

Where's a murky beer when you want one? :lol:

Warren -

Well I can't say that I can be stuffed filtering my beer but I am getting interested in one of the RO Units that they sell. $250 is fairly affordable so I can convince the minister for finance I may have to get one and tinker with some water chemistry!

Not so sure sure about the waste:

Note that 20000 litres will include app. 4000 litres of pure filtered water and app. 16000 litres of waste water.

How many ppl are actually using these things, seems a bit wasteful, but I guess if I use the water for cooling and watering plants it wont be so bad.

ozbrewer said:
ok the pressure was to much

any one have 2 spare black QD's
[post="75070"][/post]​

I do

i charge 15.00 ea or 27.50 for the pair - call it 30.00 incl postage.

- but by the time u pay freight - might be better to get them locally...

GMKenterprises

Hey Ken.

I'm picking all your rellies get beer dispensing equipment for Christmas and Birthdays? . :lol: :p

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
I was thinking of filtering my recently kegged ESB on the weekend. However after using Wyeast 1968 the thing is crystal clear like it's already been filtered. S'pose it's not a bad thing. <_<

Where's a murky beer when you want one? :lol:

Warren -
[post="75073"][/post]​

Never seen a beer clear as quick as with 1968 - a top yeast...

Well mine / ours just rocked up.

Have to say that Hydrofil have proven to be a great company to deal with. The free postage is even express post which was unexpected.

My next beer was going to be a Heffeweizen, but i think it will now be a krystalweizen ;)

Good stuff Boots! :beerbang:

Here's one in all it's box-opened glory. Now to work on a murky beer. :blink:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Good stuff Boots! :beerbang:

Here's one in all it's box-opened glory. Now to work on a murky beer. :blink:

Warren -

I see, they even threw in a spun cartridge for good measure as well, great value, even though it's no good for the beer...

Anyone ordering in future, should ask them to include 2 x pleated cartridges, now that would be useful... :D

Back