Beer Filter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ahve joined the dark side. Just ordered one. Asher, once you have kids time will be something you donot have

:p maybe so - but I'll gain a motor for the grain mill :p

I don't see how this saves any time?
If you had more kegs you could just reach for one that you made 3 months ago thats been cc'ing in the shed chest fridge..... no clean-up/sterilizing of filters at all... thats got to save you at least 1/2hour...

When all else fails
serve your beer in pewter..

Asher for now B)

Oh dear, forced co2 and now filtration, is'nt this what got CAMRA fired up in the first place?

:ph34r:

Next thing we'll all be buying cask-breathers. :ph34r: :lol:

Hope CAMRA doesn't boycott my garage. I haven't got too many pewter mugs available. :unsure:

Warren -

Just keep a pair of socks & sandals in the garage, that oughta convince 'em :lol:

:p
Gooday Gooday
Ive Just filtered 45ltrs of Double Diamond from one keg to another in one hit. No problem and know Im drinking it. Very pleased with the result too HIc Hic. It will be better in a few days but it is still very drinkable now.

Cheers Altstart

JasonY said:
Well I can't say that I can be stuffed filtering my beer but I am getting interested in one of the RO Units that they sell. $250 is fairly affordable so I can convince the minister for finance I may have to get one and tinker with some water chemistry!

Not so sure sure about the waste:
Note that 20000 litres will include app. 4000 litres of pure filtered water and app. 16000 litres of waste water.
How many ppl are actually using these things, seems a bit wasteful, but I guess if I use the water for cooling and watering plants it wont be so bad.
[post="75074"][/post]​

Hi Jason

I think my dad has one in his shed! or one similar at least. He used to use it for making deionised water for a cnc wire edm machine. Like you say the water wastage is pretty horrendous, to get a 44 gallon drum full meant about 4 or 5 drums bled to waste. I will see if he still has it and if its ok maybe I could borrow it off him for you to try.

Ausdb

Boots said:
Well mine / ours just rocked up.

Have to say that Hydrofil have proven to be a great company to deal with. The free postage is even express post which was unexpected.

My next beer was going to be a Heffeweizen, but i think it will now be a krystalweizen ;)
[post="75403"][/post]​
Thanks Boots,
Looking forward to krystalling my heffe too :blink: Amazing what brewing equip you never thought of buying a week ago suddenly reaches the top of the list.

Damm you AHB.

Now what do I need next ;)

cheers
roach :party:

Vlad the Pale Aler said:
Oh dear, forced co2 and now filtration, is'nt this what got CAMRA fired up in the first place?

Fair point Vlad if your trying to make traditional English ales, but not all beers are made this way. For example Alt is almost always force carbonated and filtered, even the traditional brew pubs in Dussledorf supposedly do this.

Most pilsners, even Urquell, is filtered.

So basically it's horses for courses. If the beer suits filtration, like a kristalweizen, then filter away and CAMRA can kiss my arse if they don't like it (who made them the bearers of beer truth anyway).

Cheers
MAH

This forum is dangerous, now the second purchase I have made. Cant wait to filter my now fermenting 1007 pilsner. I wonder can you filter carbonated beer as well?

Jimmyjack.

I'm pretty certain you can't filter carbonated beer. If you do attempt this make sure you really chill the beer or degas it first. :unsure:

Warren -

jimmyjack said:
This forum is dangerous, now the second purchase I have made. Cant wait to filter my now fermenting 1007 pilsner. I wonder can you filter carbonated beer as well?
[post="75584"][/post]​

Yes you can filter carbonated beer, it's a bit slower as you need to bleed out the gas released a few times, but I've done several...

++++

Beefed up a carbonated light beer today by using the filter as a "Randall" as previously discussed - Hot steeped some amarillo pellets & tipped into the canister - seems to have worked a treat - in hindsight I should have taken some photos...

Ross, was it easy to clean the pellets off of the filter?, as flowers are usually used, I need more info on this whole procedure pics etc.... You my friend are a pioneer!

jimmyjack said:
Ross, was it easy to clean the pellets off of the filter?, as flowers are usually used, I need more info on this whole procedure pics etc.... You my friend are a pioneer!
[post="75610"][/post]​

I'll let you know once I've cleaned it :D - looking pretty gunky at the moment, but reckon it'll be no prob at all....

Hi guys,
Just repoerting that my new (broken) JG fitting arrived in th epost today, free of charge!
Good service from these guys.
cheers
Darren

yeah i think the service is the best i have ever had from any supplier,

i orderd saturday, and received it this morning, I have actually ordered another one for the kitchen

Nice work Ross. It's good to know that it's an option. Do you think it would be better / easier to clean the filter if you used plugs?

Bugger!! had to buy one also. :blink: :( I love Wyeast 1007 :beer:

Back