Beer Engine - how heavy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dago001

Move Along - Nuthin To See Here
Reaction score
Just a question to all the Beer Engine owners out there. I am interested in how much a beer engine weighs. I am going to England later this year and if the weight is under 7kg, I may be able bring one home if I can find one cheap enough.
Cheers
LagerBomb

I brought one back from England a couple of months ago and it weighed about 8kg. If you do bring one back make sure you wrap all the bits well. I managed to chip the ceramic handle because the bubble wrap wasn't as tight as I'd thought.

Cheers

Welly

take the shaft out of the ceramic handle, mine was still sitting on the shaft and the nuts not done up tight and then wrapped in bubble wrap, the looks metal shaft ruined the ceramic :(

Thanks for the replies fellas. If I do manage to get one I will want to strip it down to spread the weight maybe.
I have a plan for losing siutcase weight while I am there. I wont be bringing most of my clothes home with me, so should be able to get a few extra kilos there.
Any ideas where to get one from. I will be in London for around a week, with a few days in York, Manchester and Cardiff afterwards.
Thanks
LagerBomb

LagerBomb said:
I wont be bringing most of my clothes home with me...
Now that's my kinda holiday!

sponge said:
Now that's my kinda holiday!
Mine too.
However its all pretty innocent. Wear a set of clothes for a day. Throw out Tshirt, jocks and socks. Minimal washing etc. When you can buy 20 pairs of jocks at BigW for $18, why bother with washing. Excluding jeans, dress shirts, shoes and a jacket, the rest of my clothes are staying in England, stains and all. For less than $100 who can be stuffed washing while o/s.
Cheers
LagerBomb

Lagerbomb,

a mate of mine was working over there for a couple of weeks last year, I told him to order some off angram directly http://www.angramltd.com/shop/products/
and he got them in a couple of days.... not sure what your accommodation is, but if you have a permanent address to send them to, that would be my recommended source :)

edit: if i recall correctly, they cost 90pounds (single recond clamp on) - it seems they are out of stock at the moment

markymoo said:
Lagerbomb,

a mate of mine was working over there for a couple of weeks last year, I told him to order some off angram directly http://www.angramltd.com/shop/products/
and he got them in a couple of days.... not sure what your accommodation is, but if you have a permanent address to send them to, that would be my recommended source :)

edit: if i recall correctly, they cost 90pounds (single recond clamp on) - it seems they are out of stock at the moment
Thanks for that. Never thought of that. Quite possible I can do that.
Cheers
LagerBomb

just a suggestion,why not ask a pub owner or 2 if they have any that have been replaced/lying around and make an offer.you may get lucky.

...cheers..spog...

Ebay UK is usually full of them. Never weighed mine but I'd say its around the 7-8kg mark.

LagerBomb said:
Any ideas where to get one from. I will be in London for around a week, with a few days in York, Manchester and Cardiff afterwards.
I scoured ebay UK for the weeks leading up to my trip and then had it sent to family. There are some really good deals if you can pick up, though - might be a bit difficult to arrange with only a couple of weeks in the UK. Postage within the UK was half of what I paid for the beer engine in the first place (~30GBP).

Agree with Markymoo to take the shaft out of the ceramic handle as this is why mine chipped in transit. Everything else was fine (wrapped up in all of my clothes).

Also, if you know what type of beer engine you are getting and think you might want new seals etc, it would be best to get these at the same time. I need new seals for mine and have been quoted 14GBP postage to New Zealand for a parcels that weighs 45g!

Cheers

Welly

Thanks for the ideas. I have some friends in Southampton that I could get it posted to, but I will need it sorted well before we get there. Never considered the seals, so I will do that if I manage to get one.
Cheers
LagerBomb

Latest posts

Back