beer canning melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patmonarca

Reaction score
does anyone know a place that you can pay $$ to get your beer canned in melbourne?

Per their ads, U-Brew It places have canning facilities. No idea it that's true of the Vic stores or if they would let you use them, but it might be worth a call

i'm curious, why do you want to can your beer?

Hey guys, I know this is an old thread, but why are some of you against canning as an option? Im looking at getting a bench top one out of the US and am keen for your thoughts. A lot out there to read about the benefits of canning rather than bottling...

Hi GalBrew, why wouldn't you recommend it?

I am specifically referring to U-Brew it style establishments. The one's I have been to have essentially zero sanitation so everything you take home with you is infected to a degree. If it is kept cold and you drink it fast it's not much of a problem, but anything that hangs around especially at room temp will develop problems. If you are planning on getting one of the home canners from the US, the biggest thing I would worry about is DO levels in the canned beer.

I am specifically referring to U-Brew it style establishments. ... from the US, the biggest thing I would worry about is DO levels in the canned beer.
OK cool, thanks for clarify G. I was going to try to engineer a way to be able to co2 or nitrogen flush before seaming... it wouldn't be for long terms storage anyway- camping trips, and for stocking the fridge instead of bottling...
Cheers

Hey guys, I know this is an old thread, but why are some of you against canning as an option? Im looking at getting a bench top one out of the US and am keen for your thoughts. A lot out there to read about the benefits of canning rather than bottling...

Got a link?

@Adam G - How readily available are the can blanks and caps? Just thinking it could be a killer if you have to ship from the US every time you need to top up your consumables.

I think the home canning idea is cool in principle, but if I was just looking for a solution for camping i'd be more likely to go mini kegs or full sized kegs & jockey box.

@Adam G - How readily available are the can blanks and caps? Just thinking it could be a killer if you have to ship from the US every time you need to top up your consumables.
Agree @tj2204, I have spoken with Visy last week and they can sell smallish quantities of plain silver cans and lids. If I want them printed then need to buy in MOQ 60,000 (won't be happening...).
There are some "Brew By U" type microbrewerys around that have them but I've not seen in any in homebrew supply shops.
Seems if there was a cost effective machine and cans available on the market a lot of home brewers would go for it as an option...

The printed can i think your also have a big cost to set up for printing.

The problem is the cans , you can only buy them in massive amounts and that's a lot of capital to outlay > $20000 and the more colours you have printed on them, the more the cost rises. It's only viable really for large scale operations.

Back