Beer And Grass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What if, like adding hop flowers to a bottle and filling it with your brew, you instead added a small amount of 'a herbal product closely related to hops', would the effects still come through?

i've come across 'hop cookies' before... and the boiled 'hop water' used to make them tastes fairly terrible by itself..

edit: butter needs to be added too. 'Hop' chemicals will only extract in oils...

I thought 'hops' chemicals were also extracted in alcohol, and if so, if used in small quantities, would give their effect without much flavour difference when bottling?

Hi

I have been dumping a lot of beer and wort on my lawn and I havnt noticed any dead grass. I kindof alternate spots and spread it around a bit.

I also have a 'Special stout' fermenting right now. Here is how I do it. I make beer as per normal then I soak my 'special hops' in 80c water in a thermos for 45 min. Strain and repeat and throw the water away. This is to remove the earthy\grassy taste but not the chemicals. Then I ad it to my wort either bevore or after primary fermentation and the alcohol will desolve all the chemicals. It is not very efficient to ad to beer but gives a very mello relaxed sensation. If you want to get high you are much better of smoking it.

I have been dumping beer and yeast on my young mango tree for two years now and it is doing very well. No mangos yet, but hope they will be good.
Now, a six pack and a doobie. Umm, doesn't get any better than that.....and the mango will taste all the better for it! That is after the pizza and anything else I can find around the house:)

While talking about weed back there, I am suprised that it has not come up about the old trick, of grafting the top of a young hops plant onto the root stock of a marijuana plant to get your hops full of THC. Hops and the good old weed are close relatives in the plant world. Cousins in fact, and using this technique is the reason why grwoing your own hop is banned in some US states at home. Not sure how effective it is, but its supposedly a good way to make up a THC laden beer, or if you smoke the stuff, a good way to grow it without the drug squad helicopters spotting your batch.

While talking about weed back there, I am suprised that it has not come up about the old trick, of grafting the top of a young hops plant onto the root stock of a marijuana plant to get your hops full of THC. Hops and the good old weed are close relatives in the plant world. Cousins in fact, and using this technique is the reason why grwoing your own hop is banned in some US states at home. Not sure how effective it is, but its supposedly a good way to make up a THC laden beer, or if you smoke the stuff, a good way to grow it without the drug squad helicopters spotting your batch.

An old myth! hops can be grafted on the rootstock but nothing but normal hops will come from it. The test the author of that myth used to determine whether there was cannabinoids in the hops was a colour test and it turned out it also reacted to the relatively similar chemicals in hops, giving a false positive result. Subsequent more accurate tests several years later proved it wrong.

Graft a lemon onto an orange tree and what grows off the lemon branch?

Q

Latest posts

Back