Beer And Diet - Discuss...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well, does it?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• Depends on the amount you drink.

• Depends on the type of beer.

• Not if it's part of a calorie controlled diet.

• Don't be stupid Scruffy - sort your chill haze out!

• Total voters
No moderation = big night on teh beers = hangover = greasy breakfast + day on teh couch = tubb tubbs...

Not trying to be rude but whoever said the average male uses 3500-4000 calories (14000-16000 kilojoules) a day was way off!!! I've heard of extreme weightlifters burning that much daily but not the average male :lol:

The general measurement of energy that we use in Australia in terms of food is kilojoules. There's 4.2 kilojoules to 1 calories.

The average daily energy consumption for an individual is 8700 kilojoules with the assumption that they are meeting the National physical activity guidelines, which is a collective 30 minutes of moderate intensity activity on 5 days of a week. Moderate being the intensity of a fast paced walk.

There's roughly 34000 kilojoules in a kilogram of fat. To give you a rough idea of how hard it is to burn it off I run for 20 minutes at the gym going at 10km/h and only burn off somewhere between 800-900 kilojoules, which from memory is the same amount of kilojoules a stubby contain.

Pay very little attention to products that say 99% fat free, there's a common misconception that if something is fat free or low in fat that it will save them from putting on weight. WRONG!!!!! It doesn't matter how much fat, protein or carbohydrates something contains, its the overall kilojoule count that matters when dieting although they are important factors to a healthy diet. The suggested healthy kilojoule count a person on a diet should be aiming for in 6400-7000. Any less and the body can start trying to counter the diet by trying to lower its energy requirements.

Back to does beer make you fat. I'd say no but it will contribute to your daily usage of 8700 kilojoules. People say it does, as proven by the weighing scales but the different readings will be due to the fact that your dehydrated and that you've probably taken a massive after grog bog. You'll be back to a similar weight within a few days.

As for the beer gut. The beer gut is usually caused from a few things. 1. From putting on weight from drinking and eating to much. 2. Alcohol relaxes the muscles in the stomach over time resulting in a gut with regualr drinkers which can be fixed by exercising. 3. As mentioned, an enlarged liver! I'm sure there's plently more reasons but I just know about those.

Edited

Pay very little attention to products that say 99% fat free, there's a common misconception that if something is fat free or low in fat that it will save them from putting on weight. WRONG!!!!! It doesn't matter how much fat, protein or carbohydrates something contains, its the overall kilojoule count that matters when dieting although they are important factors to a healthy diet. The suggested healthy kilojoule count a person on a diet should be aiming for in 6400-7000. Any less and the body can start trying to counter the diet by trying to lower its energy requirements.

Serious post with some good info. Can't agree more with the "99% fat free" statement.
Sugar is 100% fat free - it's also 100% empty carbohydrate.
Also if somethings 90% fat free - that means 10% of what you're buying is fat!

Moderation, regular exercise, eating fresh fruit and veg - we all know this, or at least we should.

I keep my weight to a level that suits me. If I overeat/drink more beer than I should, I'll spend longer
on the pushbike in an attempt to burn a little extra.
and I'll eat healthy and lower energy meals for the next couple of days.
Works for me and I haven't been 21 for decades.

If I consumed all my passions without check - such as beer, cheese, smallgoods and pasta I'd be a big blob.

All things in moderation.

Not trying to be rude but whoever said the average male uses 3500-4000 calories (14000-16000 kilojoules) a day was way off!!! I've heard of extreme weightlifters burning that much daily but not the average male :lol:

The general measurement of energy that we use in Australia in terms of food is kilojoules. There's 4.2 kilojoules to 1 calories.

The average daily energy consumption for an individual is 8700 kilojoules with the assumption that they are meeting the National physical activity guidelines, which is a collective 30 minutes of moderate intensity activity on 5 days of a week. Moderate being the intensity of a fast paced walk.

There's roughly 34000 kilojoules in a kilogram of fat. To give you a rough idea of how hard it is to burn it off I run for 20 minutes at the gym going at 10km/h and only burn off somewhere between 800-900 kilojoules, which from memory is the same amount of kilojoules a stubby contain.

Back to does beer make you fat. I'd say no but it will contribute to your daily usage of 8700 kilojoules. People say it does, as proven by the weighing scales but the different readings will be due to the fact that your dehydrated and that you've probably taken a massive after grog bog. You'll be back to a similar weight within a few days.

As for the beer gut. The beer gut is usually caused from a few things. 1. From putting on weight from drinking and eating to much. 2. Alcohol relaxes the muscles in the stomach over time resulting in a gut with regualr drinkers which can be fixed by exercising. 3. As mentioned, an enlarged liver! I'm sure there's plently more reasons but I just know about those.

One tiny flaw in your argument.

4.2 kilojoules = 1000 calories

So you are out by a factor of 1000

Another error is that "drinking alcohol results in a gut", it doesn't, the abdominals is the place where males tend to have their fat stored (whereas females have fat stored in the arse and thighs first). The abdominal muscles has barely any connection at all with abdominal fat.

One tiny flaw in your argument.

4.2 kilojoules = 1000 calories

So you are out by a factor of 1000

No i was right to begin with. 4.2 kilojoules = 1 calorie. Kilojoules are the unit of food energy.

Joule is the unit of energy in general which has something to do with the work to move a force. I don't know much about it though. 4.2 joules does equal 1000 calories in a different context but not in terms of food, at least not by Australian standards as far as i know of.

4.184 kilojoules = 1 Calorie
1 Calorie = 1000 calories

Imperial units suck :)

As a bum and thigh man I'm all in favour of women drinking beer. As a member of the hippy generation tits don't do much to me as I've seen hundreds but a nice meaty butt...

oh mod me, mod me :eek:

Bahaahaha, nice one BribieG :p

And thanks to you, I have running loop in my head now

Last edited by a moderator:
errr.. I dunno what the point of this is, but thought I'd post it anyway

<H1 style="FLOAT: left">The Beer Diet!</H1>
comment-icon.jpg
8 Most people give up their most nagging vices for Lentlike candy, curse words, and Facebook.

But J. Wilson decided to abstain from solid food, choosing instead to drink nothing but beer and water for 46 days.

Strange? You bet. But Wilson, a 38-year-old editor from Iowa, wanted to see if he could emulate German monks of the 16th century who supposedly lived solely on doppelbock beerliquid breadduring Lent.

So he teamed up with an Iowa brewery to create his own doppelbock that would sustain him for 46 days, and got to drinking. Mens Health caught up with Wilsonnow 25 pounds slimmerto get the scoop on his extreme experiment, and to see how hes holding up.

Mens Health: What made you decide to go on a beer diet?

J. Wilson: I spent a lot of time researching extended fasting to find out exactly what occurs in your body when you do it. I learned there was this huge detoxing element to fasting, so I was looking forward to that as much as the historical element. Im not Mr. Perfect when it comes to health. But when you go on a fast of this nature, you work out all the donuts and cheeseburgers that are still in your stomach and bowels from all those years ago. That sounded like a great idea. (More from MensHealth.com: Does the Master Cleanse Diet Work?)

Mens Health: Did that great idea come with any health concerns?

JW: Im usually about 5′11 and 140 pounds. When I talked to a nutritionist early on, she told me this was a horrible idea for someone whos already 20 pounds underweight. So if I was going to lose weight, I needed to bulk up a little bit. I usually dont eat breakfast and Ill sometimes skip lunch, so I disciplined myself to have breakfast, lunch, and dinner every single day, and I put on 20 extra pounds.

MH: Why was dopplebock your beer of choice for the undertaking?

JW: One 12-ounce serving contains 288 calories, and its completely unfilteredjust like the kind the German monks consumed in the 1600s. As a result, it retains plenty yeast and B-complex vitamins, making it a hearty, nutritious brewespecially compared to, say, a Budweiser, which has been filtered and pasteurized and weighs in at just 100 calories. (More from MensHealth.com: The Healthiest Beers for Men)

MH: What was your drinking schedule like?

JW: Four beers on weekdays, and five a day on Saturdays and Sundays. I didnt have to go anywhere on the weekends, so I was less concerned about the alcohol. I drove my kids to school, arrived at the office at 8 a.m., poured myself a beer, had another one at noon for lunch, poured a beer around 3 p.m., and then another beer at 7 when I got home.

MH: What were the hardest foods you had to give up?

JW: Ive heard from other fasters that your body will usually tell you what it needs, but not once did I crave anything sweet. Which is funny, because I have a major sweet toothespecially when it comes to donuts, chocolate, and cheesecake. The stuff that popped in my mind was more like goat-cheese omelets, olives, and Mexican food. Aroma would really trigger the idea of eating food. I really wanted to eat all those things, but I realized theres a difference between needs and desires. I dont need that cheeseburgerI just really want one right now. But that eventually subsided. My wife could make food, and I could take a huge inhale of it I and still get the same satisfaction that I would get from eating it. (More from MensHealth.com: The Man Who Cant Taste)

MH: Did your body ever rebel against the diet?

JW: Believe it or not, I never really got sick. But I did lose a lot of weight, and once I went through all of my fat, my body began consuming its own muscle to get protein (and it certainly wasnt getting much from the beer). As a result, my kidneys started to get clogged up, which manifested itself in back pain. The first solution was to drink more water to try to flush them out. Sure enough, that did the trick. It was a good lesson: I was able to listen to my body, and use that knowledge to find a solution.

MH: What was the very first thing you ate once the diet ended?

JW: I like to smoke meat, but I also wanted to ease back into a normal diet by eating softer foods for a couple of days. So I made myself a bacon smoothie! I also wanted to target the hardest-hit areas of my body, including my kidneys and liver, so I did some research and found that cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflowers are good for those organs. I tried some mashed potatoes, and my body didnt reject them. I couldnt believe it. I certainly got full faster, but at no point did my body say, That was a bad idea, J.

MH: How are you helping your body recover from the diet?

JW: My first priority is to gain back some weight. Im 135 pounds now. I want to work my way back up to 150, and Im exercising so that the extra weight doesnt turn into fat. To repair the damage to my kidneys, I asked my wife, who happens to be a yoga instructor, to put together a yoga program that would benefit them. I make it a point to do an hour or so of yoga each night. (More from MensHealth.com: The 10 Best Yoga Poses for Men)

MH: What did you learn from the experience?

JW: The human body is a pretty amazing machine. Just look at what its capable of accomplishing. Who would have thought that you can drink beer for 46 days and live to tell that tale? But you certainly need to listen and respond to your body, and treat it with respect. Youve also got to be disciplined. Perhaps the most important lesson, though, was learning how to recognize the difference between wants and needs.

MH: Would you recommend the beer diet to others?

JW: Honestly, no. I just thought it would be interesting from a first-hand perspective to try what the monks did. People say, Great idea! Youve lost 25 pounds in 6 weeks on your beer diet! But I wouldnt seriously recommend it. The alcohol alone is going to stress certain parts of your body. Its definitely not right for everybody.

Andrew Daniels

http://blogs.menshealth.com/health-headlin...diet/2011/04/30

There was an interview with the bloke on the sunday session as well, sounds pretty ******* crazy, but he didn't seem to suffer too badly from it.

As I'm in my Autumn Years I recently took out a funeral plan with my Bank and as a reward I got a six month subscription to Mens Health.
They look great there in their unopened plastic wrappers. I think I'll take them into work and leave them on the lunch room tables for the gay guys to drool over. :)

mens_health.jpeg

Edit: I have a keen interest in Victorian History (the era not the State). Life expectancy was statistically lower but that's because a lot of babies and kids died, which dragged down the median, but if you survived childhood you could expect to get 70 or 80 years or more, and were usually fit and active until just before you died. There were hardly any of the degenerative diseases we have nowadays and the main cause of death was infectious disease or industrial accident, or getting blown up in the Crimean War or whatever.

A lot of this good health has been attributed to a constant dose of hearty B vitamin full ale, usually around 7% ABV, plus table beer served at all meals, to children as well. Plus a good supply of cheap meat and vegetables.

Ok I'll definitely take them in this week and report on the reaction :lol: (got my last one last week)

Alright. Without reading through the whole thread I can say I've lost about 12.5Kg over the last couple of months while not taking any particular effort to reduce my alcohol consumption. While beer can have a fair amount of sugars in the finished product, depending on the style, it is all alcohol that can have a negative effect on weight loss.

I've tried to reduce my alcohol consumption during the week and save it all for the weekend.

Latest posts

Back