Beer And Diet - Discuss...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well, does it?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• Depends on the amount you drink.

• Depends on the type of beer.

• Not if it's part of a calorie controlled diet.

• Don't be stupid Scruffy - sort your chill haze out!

• Total voters
I suspect that when I drink I end up with more water in my system. When I dont drink alcohol, I dont replace this with anything else, and 'dehydrate' a little, and lose that weight.

Alcohol is a diuretic so I'm not sure you theory holds as much water as you think.

(Holy christ, I'm good at this!)

I'm a firm believer (still going!) in the beer belly. I'm a skinny guy. I have a very active job. I am hypoglycemic. I have always spent most Friday and Saturday nights drinking bourbon to a point where I would not drive. Since starting brewing I have been drinking less, lower strength alcohol and have an emergent belly. Going to be away from home (and my beloved homebrew!) for about a month - it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Eating Poppa Porky's Pork Crackle is the killer.

Drink as much or as little as you want and adjust your exercise to suit.

I just had a meal of roast pork shoulder with vegies, I probably ate half of the crackling, and then washed it down with my 3rd HB for the night.....

And I wonder why I am starting to stack it on......

Well in the two years I was away from brewing I ended up weighing in over 130kg and that was hardly any drinking because of the two kids we had and that changed everything as far as food and calorie intake.

Now I have managed to drop 33kg and run on average 50k a week and have got myself in good shape. Brewing again has been great to get back into but I have noticed that when I do have a now rare hevy session with workmates or whatever I feel bloated for a few days and it takes some long runs to frop that bloated feeling . Have not had a HB yet as it is 3 weeks away from cracking but this is something I have been thinking about.
I dont think that beer alone does make you fat on its own but it contributed to the laziness that got me way out of shape.
Anyway looking forward to see if the HB bloats me as much as megaswill (sure it wont) .I will however be drinking differently given the work put in to get where i am now.

My two cents anyway
AW :icon_chickcheers:

Alcohol is a diuretic so I'm not sure you theory holds as much water as you think.

(Holy christ, I'm good at this!)

I'm a firm believer (still going!) in the beer belly. I'm a skinny guy. I have a very active job. I am hypoglycemic. I have always spent most Friday and Saturday nights drinking bourbon to a point where I would not drive. Since starting brewing I have been drinking less, lower strength alcohol and have an emergent belly. Going to be away from home (and my beloved homebrew!) for about a month - it'll be interesting to see what happens.

I understand that Bum. But I tend to drink moderately if regularly. I figure that the intake of fluid is greater than the offset of alcohol being a diuretic. It would also explain why straight spirits dont have anywhere near as pronounced an effect on me.

On the calorie issue. Does anyone know how many calories would be in the average tallie of homebrew. Im realling hoping that is not the 3500 - 4000 cals mention previously.
Aches

Try reading it again a little more closely.

:rolleyes:

It's all about genetics. I drink like a fish, am on a see-food diet, always eating. I cycle on Saturdays, but mostly just sit on my arse during the week. My weight never fluctuates. Skinny as a rail. Still have six pack abs.

Maybe my metabolism will catch up with me in 10 years when I hit 40. Meh. In the meantime I'm enjoying it. Get out of the way of my beer you fat ******* :)

It might not make you fat (although apparently its possible for it to increase your estrogen levels, temporarily, and that could be the cause of a higher fat content in your body)

but I read this in the herald sun the other day "People who consume more than one drink a day risk cancer"
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...413-663,00.html

I don't think it will stop me from brewing though

The girl at the Gym said:
...alcohol is the first thing your body will consume, second is fat, third is carbs/sugars, and last is protein....

edit - Phil's changed his story - But this quote is what prompted the topic...

I was at the gym (first time for about a month - we've had a friend over from the UK), and I mentioned I'd put on ahem, a couple of ahem, pounds. And they said the exact same thing, they also said 'look at proper alcoholics - they're stick thin...'

As Dickens nearly said in David Copperfield:

Monthly input, five kilo's, monthly expenditure, five kilo's, result happiness. Monthly input, five kilo's, monthly expenditure five and a half kilo's, result Lard Arse...

It might not make you fat (although apparently its possible for it to increase your estrogen levels, temporarily, and that could be the cause of a higher fat content in your body)

but I read this in the herald sun the other day "People who consume more than one drink a day risk cancer"
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...413-663,00.html

I don't think it will stop me from brewing though

yesterday I found my paper that I wrote on the health benefits of beer. It is basically a lit review of peer reviewed scientific papers. I found that beer has a number of positive health benefits including in the prevention and progression of some cancers.

If anyone is interested I can post the paper.

That's not what I was confused about. I'm not quite that pedantic yet. Isn't fat a wee bit high on the list? My understanding is that the body won't even look at breaking down stored fat until after 30 minutes of sustained aerobic activity.

You are what you eat. I just can't remember eating a little fat fella. :icon_cheers:

Maybe my metabolism will catch up with me in 10 years when I hit 40. Meh. In the meantime I'm enjoying it. Get out of the way of my beer you fat ******* :)

I can vouch thats what happened to me and I am a fairly active person. Its only a little tub, I`ll sweat it off in summer I reckon, unfort we all cant have a six pack running marathons for life.Age not beer that catches up. Still enjoying it heaps . :icon_cheers:

The most dreaded threat on a weekend LOL.
I just finish 1/2 work out of the punching/sit up/push up etc etc.
This is so I can have a few later on tonight.

The sad part is i need to keep doing darn exercises to maintain my weight.
If I were to stop drinking Beer, eating cheese Olives potatoe chips and Icecream that alone would not be enough to maintain my weight.

!@$% it was so easy when I was 21 :lol:

Drink and be merry folk I am about to sweat another 1/2 litre of juice out of me :blink:

Beer doesn't make you fat, it makes you lean!
Lean on bars, lean on tables, lean on your mates, lean on walls...

Sorry, just couldn't resist :)

I agree with the diet and exercise idea but you have to admit that genetics do have an effect, otherwise everyone who wanted to lose kilos would have the same success with one type of diet!

HABAHAGD!
Jono.

That's not what I was confused about. I'm not quite that pedantic yet. Isn't fat a wee bit high on the list? My understanding is that the body won't even look at breaking down stored fat until after 30 minutes of sustained aerobic activity.

I took a second look as well bum, your body will break down certain things dependant on your calorie intake. For instance, if you diet and reduce calories below a certain point your body will ignore your fat reserves and tuck into muscle instead. So really, it all depends on your whole outlook in regards to your diet, it needs to be balanced.

Andrew

This thread again......

Ethanol contains ~28 joules per gram

Carbohydrates and protein ~16 joules per gram.

Fats contain ~36 joules per gram.

If you consume more kilojoules per day than your body burns you put on weight.

As with all things in life its about balance. Regular exercise, a balanced food intake and moderate alcohol consumption.

I recall a mates old man who joined GutBusters. He was told each 285mL beer he drank required a 4km walk to erase the energy.

Cheers
DrSmurto

p.s. a joule is equal to ~0.25 calories for the older people still using imperial measurements. ;)

Latest posts

Back