Beef Cheeks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Hey Katie, a couple of weeks ago you mentioned that you cook beef cheeks. I bought a kilo from Woolies today and wonder if you would care to divulge recipe.

:)

Try this one from Stephanie Alexander... takes two days to achieve great results.

I always put a little mace through my mash ... YUM!

This serves 8

Beef Cheeks in red wine with carrots and mashed potato

16 beef cheeks

Marinade
1 onion, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
200g smoked bacon lardons
(1cm x 2cm pieces)
1/2 tsp peppercorns
thyme sprigs
6 parsley stalks
1 bay leaf
3 pieces orange zest
4 cloves garlic, bruised
5 juniper berries
10 peppercorns
1 bottle red wine

For the dish
3 tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup brandy
8 medium turnips, cut in chunks
4 medium-large carrots, cut into chunks
freshly ground pepper
1.5 litres veal stock (approximately)

Method
Strip the tough membrane from the beef cheeks. The technique is the same as for skinning a fish fillet. Slip a sharp knife between the membrane and the flesh, hold the membrane tightly with one hand, and zigzag the knife close to the chopping board and along the beef cheek. Discard the membrane.
Place skinned cheeks in a bowl and add all the marinade ingredients. Stir to mix, cover and refrigerate overnight.
Next day, place a colander over a large bowl and tip the meat and marinade into the colander. Allow to drain.
Extract the cheeks and the lardons and pat dry on layers of kitchen paper. Discard the vegetables.
Heat one-third of the oil in a heavy-based pan and seal the cheeks in batches. When well coloured on both sides, add a splash of brandy, tip the pan to light the brandy and turn the meat. Transfer to a cast-iron casserole. Continue until all meat is browned and flamed. Brown the lardons and transfer to the casserole.
Tip the strained wine into the pan and let it boil to reduce. Tip into the casserole.
Preheat oven to 140C. Add the vegetable chunks, pepper and enough veal stock to barely cover. Cover with a doubled piece of baking paper and the lid and cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Allow to cool.
Spoon off fat. Reheat casserole gently. If sauce is too thin, pour it off and boil fast in a separate pan, skimming the froth that rises. Return cleaned sauce to meat, stir to mix and serve.
Mashed potatoes is a perfect accompaniment.

You could also try it Chinese style - red braised. I've never done it with cheeks but it works really nicely with shin or brisket. I'll dig up my braising stock recipe for you tonight.

Cheers
Dave

You could also try it Chinese style - red braised. I've never done it with cheeks but it works really nicely with shin or brisket. I'll dig up my braising stock recipe for you tonight.

Cheers
Dave

wow we are on the same page, I was just looking for that for him.

Ive done chinese style red braised ox tails. I think my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth.

Yes I'd love the Chinese recipe, SWMBO is of Chinese Descent, and used to do oxtails with beetroot and peanuts. It was one of those 'love it or hate it ' dishes and I'm still not sure which one applies (like some stinky cheeses, you can't help going back for just one more taste) :lol:

Edit: I'll do the Katie version first but for 4, so I'll have to drink half the bottle of red wine while I'm cooking. Bugger.

Where on earth do you buy beef cheeks. Never heard of it before? Are they literally their cheeks?

OK.. red braising stock (it make a huge amount so you might want to cut it in half) -

6l water
3 cups Shao Hsing wine (that chinese cooking wine)
2 cups dark soy
1 cup light soy
2 cups rock or palm sugar
half a head of garlic finely chopped (about 12 cloves)
1 cup thinly sliced ginger
1 bunch spring onions chopped
1 teaspoon sessame oil
Good handful of whole star anise (about 10 or so)
2 or 2 cinnamon quills
Peel from a small orange.

Put everything in a big pot and bring to boil. Simmer for about 1/2 hour.

Once the stock is made, put the beef in a pot with copld water. Put on the heat and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 20 mins then discard the water (this draws impurities from the meat - very traditional Chinese) then take enough stock to cover the beef. Bring to a simmer and cook very slowly for 3 or so hours. The rest of the stock can be frozen.

If you want the spicy version I add a handful of those dried Chinese chillies you get in the Asian grocers and maybe 2 tablespoons of chilli oil (I like lot of heat) to the stock.

Cheers
Dave

Where on earth do you buy beef cheeks. Never heard of it before? Are they literally their cheeks?

They are the facial cheek muscle of the cow. Very tough and lean and used for braising or slow cooking. Usually hard to find in usual supermarkets but if you have a good butcher order them in.

Beautiful done in red wine etc...

The recipe that Airgead put up looks great Ive done something similar with oxtail. That is what they call RED COOKING.

I love star anise!

I love star anise!

Anise is fantastic. It goes particularly well with the chilli in the spicy version...

I do a really nice Massaman curry that uses a bunch of star anise in it. Goes very nicely with a Heffe or a hoppy pale ale. I might dig up the recipe and post it here sometime.

Cheers
Dave

Anise is fantastic. It goes particularly well with the chilli in the spicy version...

I do a really nice Massaman curry that uses a bunch of star anise in it. Goes very nicely with a Heffe or a hoppy pale ale. I might dig up the recipe and post it here sometime.

Cheers
Dave

Put it in the curry thread... I love Massaman its my daughters favourite...

Hmmm how would that go with pork spare ribs I wonder <_<

They are the facial cheek muscle of the cow. Very tough and lean and used for braising or slow cooking. Usually hard to find in usual supermarkets but if you have a good butcher order them in.

I was wondering what end of the cow they came from myself. I had to believe the were from the front as the back end is well used in things like rump roast.

I can just see the run at the butcher for cheeks. The price may well double or treble now that the secret is out. I just may have to try and run some down the next time we are talked into providing food for our brew club meeting.

Did a recipe for pork cheeks last Saturday ,

Back