BCS-462 info

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeddog

Reaction score
I've been looking thought the forum searching for threads relating to anything about the BCS-462 (brewery control system). There is some threads but are from some time ago.
Can anyone help with information on there pros and cons.

Pretty keen in updating my brewing rig..

jeddog

Did you find out anything about the BCS-460? I have just come across it and thinking of using one in my new 3v HERMS.

I have BCS-460,probably posted on earlier threads. It's good for my herms setup. Use an apple airport express to network it and laptop to control step mashing. Only use it hot side...

Pro is laptop control over my LAN - i can retreat indoors and run a mash schedule/monitor temps.
Can also configure mash schedules and let the bcs step through, though i often adjust on the fly. Nice visual representation of whats happening, plus logging if needed.

Cons would be steeper initial learning curve than a pid etc. And maybe cost?

Thanks, I am thinking of only using it hot side as well. I was going to connect it to my LAN and use port forwarding so that I can use a tablet or touch screen monitor as my control panel.

Do you have any pics of your setup that you are willing to share?

Cheers,
Nathan

Sounds like a sweet setup. Touchscreen would look good, just be sure to make it waterproof/put it well out of the splash/steam zone.

This is pretty old but should give the idea.
http://tinyurl.com/keop7pl

I put the BCS inside a big junction box, put some lights/switches on the front and run the probes out of the bottom.
The box is probably twice the size it needed to be! I just used stainless wire to build a little cage for the BCS inside, keeps it out of harms way along with the SSRs and wiring.

It works a charm with my HEX, really nails step mashes.
I don't use anything like the complexity I could. I operate the pump manually and manually intervene to advance the mash to the next step (i.e.; click on the browser)

I have a probe on the HEX outlet that dictates whether the HEX switches on/off to maintain set temperature.
Happy to try any questions or take more pictures. There's a few BCS users lurking around these forums too. Good luck!

I love my BCS 460. I have it setup with my static IP so I can use it via the Internet from wherever.

On brew day I use my phone.

I use it ok the hot (Rims) and cold side.

I use it to heat up my strike water on a timer overnight so it's all ready to mash in when I get up and ramp up my ferments slowly over a few days. It certainly helps pass the time at work checking on how my fermentation is going.

If it had volume/level sensors it would be even better, but I can live without :)

Thanks for the info and pics guys. Where did you buy your BCS from? I have contacted ECC directly but have not heard anything from them. Has anyone used Brewers Hardware?

I think ECC (whee I got mine) sold the rights to brewers hardware and some other mob. I have a lot of gear from Derrin @ BH., great service. He even did a custom fitting for my Rims no charge.

Dave

Well everything is now ordered from the BCS right through to float switches. I am just going to have manual valves to start with and going to upgrade to automatic valves in the future. I got my hands on a "ASUS ET1612IUTS-B001D Celeron 847 15.6" Touch All-in-one Win 7 HP" to control the entire brewery. I will keep you all posted on this build.

Back