Bbq Prawns

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petesbrew

Lover of Beer
Reaction score
Got a little favourite when we have parties, pretty simple.

1kg or so of green school prawns
olive oil
sweet chili sauce to taste
basil to taste

mix in bowl
throw on bbq hotplate
serve up in a big bowl with toothpicks for picking.

I'm looking at doing a red curry coconut one this friday, but it's still in my head at the moment, so if anyone's got any tips feel free to add.
I must add, I frickin' LOVE coconut. Wish I could say the same for SWMBO.

1kg prawns (will be using less as it's just the 2 of us)
teaspoon of red curry paste
coconut cream
shaved coconut.

Cook as above.

I made this the other night, and it was bloody beautiful!

img_1483f.jpg

Good for those hot summer nights when you couldnt be bothered going into too much effort.

Prawns

* 1kg green banana prawns

Marinade

* 6 tbsp finely chopped coriander
* 2 lemon grass stems finely chopped
* 3 garlic cloves, crushed
* 2 tsp ginger, finely chopped
* 1 tbsp fish sauce
* juice of 1 lime
* 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
* 180ml coconut milk
* 2 tsp honey

Lemongrass and Coriander Butter:

* 125g butter, at room temperature
* 2 tbsp coconut milk
* 4 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
* 1 tbsp lemongrass, finely chopped
* 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
* juice of 1/2 a lime

Method

1. Prawns: Trim the prawns legs and butterfly them open from the leg side (be careful not to cut all the way though the shell). De-vein the prawn and spoon out the head cavity.
2. Marinade: Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl. Place the prawns in the marinade and coat them well. Cover the bowl and refrigerate the prawns in the marinade for 1-3 hours.
3. Coriander and Lemongrass Butter: Place all the butter ingredients in a food processor and blend them together until well combined or mix them together in a bowl with a fork until well combined.
4. To Cook: Spoon the marinade over the flesh side of the prawns and place the cut side down on a hot barbecue for 5-8 minutes dependent on their size until they are pink and cooked through. Remove them from the barbecue and keep them hot until ready to serve.
5. To Serve: Spoon a little of the coriander and lemongrass butter on each prawn and serve with a Vietnamese noodle salad or your choice of accompaniment. If the prawns have cooled, place them under a hot grill briefly with the butter.

I served it with the Vietnamese noodle salad as the recipe suggested. For that I combined lettuce leaves, 1 sliced leb cucumber, a cup of bean sprouts, rice vermicelli noodles, 1 handful of corriander, 1 handful of mint leaves, 1 handful of thai basil leaves, and made a dressing with 1tbsp fish sauce, 1tbsp lime juice, dash of light soy sauce, 1/2 a sliced chili, and served the prawns on top - then pasted the butter on top of that. :icon_drool2:

mmmm.

Hmm, im hell hungry now.. will have to have a few more beers to fill the gap :)

Did these for a brew day at Gregs the other week and they seemed popular

BBQ Bacon-Wrapped Prawns
750gm Green King Prawns
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tblspn white wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic crushed
2 tblspn chopped fres oregano
bacon rashers

1. Peel and devein prawns leaving tail intact
2.combine ingrediants and prawns and refrigerate overnight.
3. Wrap prawns in bacon and secure woth a toothpick
4. cook on the BBQ

When it comes to BBQ prawns I am a sucker for two simple ways.

1. Truckloads of freshly crushed garlic and some sweet chilli sauce.

2. For variation, drop the sweet chilli sauce and add a bit of butter.

Sure you can do all sorts of wonderful things with coriander, curry etc. but these are the two that tend to get a look in come summer round our way...

Followup from last weekend for my son's 1st birthday party
Red Curry coconut prawns.
500g prawns (or however many u want)
1 tin coconut cream
1 small tin (about the size of a tuna tempters can) red curry paste. I only used about 2/3 of it, to get a mild blend for the masses.

Mix up, marinade overnight, Throw on BBQ till they're done.
Yum.
Those family members with wussy tastebuds were running round wide eyed looking for water. Yeah they were a bit hot, but f'ing awesome!

Spent a bit of time trying to wash off the coconut residue off the hotplates though.

i am drooling onto the keyboard. what about some oysters thrown in for good measure? mmm tastebud orgasm

Followup from last weekend for my son's 1st birthday party
Red Curry coconut prawns.
500g prawns (or however many u want)
1 tin coconut cream
1 small tin (about the size of a tuna tempters can) red curry paste. I only used about 2/3 of it, to get a mild blend for the masses.

Mix up, marinade overnight, Throw on BBQ till they're done.
Yum.
Those family members with wussy tastebuds were running round wide eyed looking for water. Yeah they were a bit hot, but f'ing awesome!

Spent a bit of time trying to wash off the coconut residue off the hotplates though.

Put baking paper on the plate. then throw away once cooked :D

I've got an idea that's running round in my head for Tequila Prawns.
I'm no tequila drinker, so it's just on the drawing board at the moment.

500g Prawns
A good Dash or slug of Tequila
Lime juice.

Rock Salt for seaasoning afterwards

Just ideas, so if anyone's got some suggestions on how to make this work, I'm all ears.
I might even try it this weekend... gotta stop by Dan Murphys for some Sierra Nevada on the way home so I'll grab a tequila as well.

edit: Gotta love Google...
http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/12873/tequ...ted-prawns.aspx

Back