'battle Of The Toucans'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a Coopers draught toucan with 400g of sugar and used both yeast. Tried it after 10 days in the bottle, very green taste as is to be expected but I believe it has the potential to taste better than VB after 6 weeks or so in the bottle. Most importantly it's cheap and around 5.7%.

After drinking Hargraves ESB on tap and falling in love, I went for a tightarse, not-very-well-thought-out toucan ESB which was a tin of lager, tin of dark ale and 400g of sugar. After 4 days in the fermenter it went from 1042 to 1005. Drinking the sample now it tastes surprisingly good given that it fermented at 24 degrees much to my disappointment. Next time I'll use a fancy larger tin and dark crystal to make an ESB.

Just wondering; with coopers toucans, if you're making around 25L and gravity is going to be under 1050, would it be ok to use just the one packet of yeast?

Haven't done a toucan for a while but SWMBO scored a few cans of Coopers Stout on special, less than eight bucks a can so was thinking of doing this;

Coopers stout x 2
500 g LDM
500g brown sugar
Made to 28Litres

Not sure on the hop selection but have a few on hand;- PoR, Cascade, Nelson Sauvin, Amarillo, Citra,Simco and EKG.
The idea of using Ginger root and a bit of cinnamon also sounds appealing (Thanks Nova).

Any sugestions on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers Ivan. :beer:

Made a Coopers draught toucan with 400g of sugar and used both yeast. Tried it after 10 days in the bottle, very green taste as is to be expected but I believe it has the potential to taste better than VB after 6 weeks or so in the bottle. Most importantly it's cheap and around 5.7%.

After drinking Hargraves ESB on tap and falling in love, I went for a tightarse, not-very-well-thought-out toucan ESB which was a tin of lager, tin of dark ale and 400g of sugar. After 4 days in the fermenter it went from 1042 to 1005. Drinking the sample now it tastes surprisingly good given that it fermented at 24 degrees much to my disappointment. Next time I'll use a fancy larger tin and dark crystal to make an ESB.

Just wondering; with coopers toucans, if you're making around 25L and gravity is going to be under 1050, would it be ok to use just the one packet of yeast?

A dog turd mixed with hot water and sugar has the potential to be better than VB. In fact I think thats the recipe. :icon_vomit:

Mr Malty claims that about 12g of yeast is the correct pitching rate for this bach size and with that og.

How good is beer?

Joined up not long ago after liam_snorkel suggested so and have never looked back..

This is my second toucan, the first one is bottled away and will let you know...

Did this one today-

Ballantyne's Dark Lager Toucan

1 x coopers dark ale
1 x coles lager
160g of dex
18 litres
OG - 1050
FG- 1005

3 packs of yeast (2 coop, 1 coles )

going to be pretty bitter so might add some hallertau hops after a few days,maybe

will report how it turns out, best enjoyed around xmas i think

Just threw down a toucan to get into the spirit of things:

Coopers Mexican
Coopers Canadian
Challenger Hops - 20g quick boil with some dex, and strained into fermenter (6 mins)
S-04 yeast
23L

No OG reading taken.
Bubbling away nicely. Will report back in due course. :beerbang:

D80.

Finished up at ~1.014.
Cold crashed after 8 days for 5 days @ 3-4 degrees. Kegged for 5 weeks uncarbed.

Drank this two weeks ago, uncarbed out of CC keg (5 weeks at 4 degrees). Had nice bitter / marmalede taste with some light fruitiness (i think from the S04). BUT had the dreaded kit twang after taste, and was cloudy (although first poor took out most of the yeast).

Moved keg out of fridge for 2 more weeks at room temp 16-20. Poored one last night after setting up my Keezer (uncarbed at 15 degrees lol) and it had the same pleasant taste (i and the mrs liked it anyway - like english bitters, bitter ales) and no kit twang after taste, and it has settled nicely and very clear. Total of 7 weeks kegged though.

Can't explain why the after taste has disappeared, but have asked for input in another thread, though none has been forthcoming as yet.

Very happy with this, my first toucan. (2 weeks ago i was devo!).

:party:

D80

My second effort was a Toucan. It was a Lager/Draught effort of the Coopers variety and had a cheeky little Amarillo Hop Tea bag in there for good measure to give a small amount of hoppy goodness. I used 250 grams Dex and 500 grams Dry Spray Malt and it has come up pretty damn good for a Summer slugger. Will have to hold onto some of this one for the beach up North over Christmas!
Definitely keen to do another Toucan in the future after this effort!

Chris

im keen to try one.

i am going to use a dark ale and a coopers pale ale. Use both yeasts or the US-05 in the fridge. no additional hops or a small amount of glacier...

I have the coopers brew enchancer there and i was thinking of adding 500g to it.. ok idea or just use both cans on there own?

Ballantyne Dark Toucan - 7% ABV

18 litre batch

Bottled 22/10

Just cracked one open on 30/11 and it is lush...well worth the wait.

Will be doing another one asap

:super: :beer: :super:

im keen to try one.

i am going to use a dark ale and a coopers pale ale. Use both yeasts or the US-05 in the fridge. no additional hops or a small amount of glacier...

I have the coopers brew enchancer there and i was thinking of adding 500g to it.. ok idea or just use both cans on there own?

Photo0464.jpg

Russian Imperial Stout:

1 x Coopers Stout

1 x Coopers Dark Ale

1 x Lager (or Real Ale)

1kg dextrose

OG: 1.090
FG: I'll get back to you on that

Foreign Export Stout

1 x Coopers Stout

1kg LMDE

1kg dextrose

300gm choc malt (steep)

300gm roasted barley OR black patent (steep)

This will be my next brew to try, still fiddling with the hop additions.

Wouldn't do 300g of black. Go the roasted barley if anything. Probably a dark ale tin with 300 roast, 200 choc and 100 black might be better.

Too much black can be ashy.

Even a pale tin can be made into a stout - maybe a real ale tin with 500 roast barley, 250 choc and 150 black for a decent FES? I'd go 1.75 dme and 500 dex.

Might need some time to settle in. Make sure you use enough healthy yeast.

<br />Wouldn't do 300g of black. Go the roasted barley if anything. Probably a dark ale tin with 300 roast, 200 choc and 100 black might be better.<br /><br />Too much black can be ashy.<br /><br />Even a pale tin can be made into a stout - maybe a real ale tin with 500 roast barley, 250 choc and 150 black for a decent FES? I'd go 1.75 dme and 500 dex.<br /><br />Might need some time to settle in. Make sure you use enough healthy yeast.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I like ashy firewood stout. The real ale should work, probably some brown sugar instead of the dex.

One more extract brew.Been busy building up AG gear and have now tied up my fermenter with a Twocan.
1 can supermarket stout mix.
1 can Thomas cooper IPA
Galena hops 5m @60m
Boiled 18L down to 16L.
Yeast from 1pack but with a starter.

The TC IPA is my fav of the coopers cans so I'm excited to see how a blackIPA or IBA goes! Previously it was still ultra pre-hopped even after a long full boil.

I was wondering if one paCk of yeast was enough.
The ferment is going off. Krausen was oozing out the airlock. Looks like its glad wrap from here.

I'm also wondering about if I have sufficient yeast for my next brew.

I'm going to attempt my second toucan, 2x Coopers APA cans & 500gms of Coopers LDME to 22 litres. Will the two packets that come with the cans be enough to eat through the sugar? The last toucan I did I used US-05.. just trying to avoid a trip down to the home brew shop and save coin. Cheers.

2 x packets of yeast is fine. You could just make the next brew on top of the previous brews yeast cake as well. It will be fermenting in an hour or two that way.. US05 would be a good yeast for that brew as well climbatize.

On top of that thick as hell sludge?? Would I just leave the krausen residue caked on the side of the fermenter?

Chain fermenting.. the wife is gonna bust my balls- hard. But.. if I can convince her it was the same brew all along I might just make it. Early morn weekend boil it is. I just need to come up with an excuse for the 30 odd longnecks that have been mysteriously filled.

On top of that thick as hell sludge?? Would I just leave the krausen residue caked on the side of the fermenter?

Chain fermenting.. the wife is gonna bust my balls- hard. But.. if I can convince her it was the same brew all along I might just make it. Early morn weekend boil it is. I just need to come up with an excuse for the 30 odd longnecks that have been mysteriously filled.

Yes right on top of the 'sludge' which is billions of healthy yeast cells. You would be wise to get as much of the previous beer out through the tap and even give it a good swirl with some beer left in the bottom ( by swirl I mean pick fermenter up and swirl it NOT a spoon ) and mix all that up and only leave about 2 cups or so in there. Drain it out of the tap not out top. Don't worry about cleaning off the previous brew crap at the top either. By not doing so you minimise any infections. Get that brew on top of the sludge asap not next day or week.

If you are clean enough you can harvest that yeast sludge and reuse it and reuse it as many times as you like or want to. Search for yeast harvesting.

Do it - I do with every toucan I do with US05. I remove half the sludge (yeast ) and fridge it and use that for the next brews as well ( splitting that brew sludge and so on ) so I get minimum 10 brews per packet of yeast.

However after every second brew that has beed dumped onto of a previous brew cake I totally clean everything and use the harvested fridge yeast. Repeat and save $$.

Just make sure you half fill the fermenter with cold water on top of the yeast cake BEFORE you put anything HOT in there or you may kill some yeast. Not all some maybe a few million :)

Latest posts

Back