'battle Of The Toucans'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 X Tooheys Classic Dark Ale (1 in boil for 60min, the other added at 5 min)
500g dark brown sugar
30g Perle @ 30 min
15g Cascade @ 5 min
S-04

Cheers
DK

As supplied, the Tooheys Dark Ale definitely shows potential, but I really think the addition of the DB Sugar was (sort of) a waste of money, considering you end up with about 5.5%ABV without it.

Haven't used Perle so I cannot comment, but interesting to see that the Cascade (love 'em) came through the full malt.

Definitely a brew to try during the warmer months as I haven't got temp control.

Boiling always helps.

Now, my Toucan Coopers Stout has been in the bottles now for 3 months, and yes it is bitter, but brilliant. The only complaint I have got so far is from a chap the adds lemonade to his Fourex. Poor lost soul.......

Next time I brew this I will definitely boil both kits and add Fuggles or Saaz.....

A fresh wort brewer who has tasted my Toucan Homebrand Lager (+Saaz), (turned out an IPA) nearly blew his bolt. Reckons it wasn't my brew at all. Claims beer as good as it was cannot be produced from cans. It can (pardon the pun), and it is.

A little bit of extra effort pays dividends, and this site prompts everyone to try different things to improve your brew. Don't ya just love it???

As supplied, the Tooheys Dark Ale definitely shows potential, but I really think the addition of the DB Sugar was (sort of) a waste of money, considering you end up with about 5.5%ABV without it.

Now, my Toucan Coopers Stout has been in the bottles now for 3 months, and yes it is bitter, but brilliant. The only complaint I have got so far is from a chap the adds lemonade to his Fourex. Poor lost soul.......
Nothin' wrong with a brown sugar hit :p It worked nicely in my toucan dark/stout... will substitute for different malt/grain sometime in future, but at the moment, why fix something that isn't broke?

And it's good to see you know who's complaints are laughable! Fourex-radler anyone?
Pete

Nothin' wrong with a brown sugar hit :p .............
No worries at all Pete, but I like my Liver right where it is, not floating down the sewer :lol:

Any idea on the ABV increase?

I really can't see that its flavour would have any impact at all over the malts used. Perhaps in a single kit brew the flavour would be prominent, but a toucan?

Ok, I've noted it and will definitely give it a shot. The only problem being is that you no longer get the little hard bits in the brown or dark brown sugars like you used to get. I looked forward to picking these out & eating them.

Yet another loss to technology. :angry: ;)

Edit: Spelling.....

No worries at all Pete, but I like my Liver right where it is, not floating down the sewer :lol:

Any idea on the ABV increase?

I really can't see that its flavour would have any impact at all over the malts used. Perhaps in a single kit brew the flavour would be prominent, but a toucan?

Ok, I've noted it and will definitely give it a shot. The only problem being is that you no longer get the little hard bits in the brown or dark brown sugars like you used to get. I looked forward to picking these out & eating them.

Yet another loss to technology. :angry: ;)

Edit: Spelling.....
Just punched in the amounts on a brewers calc on another site and it's pretty damn close.
The 500g sugar added about 1.2% ABV. I got 6.7% out of my stout.
http://www.homebrew.com.au/wa.asp?idWebPag...p;idDetails=172

Maybe in future I might give palm sugar a go too.

Thanks Pete. Looks like the trick is to use topshelf yeast.....

You know looking back on it, I dont really know why I added dark brown sugar. Again it was just sitting there open on the shelf after being used in a Belgian.
Have not done a side by side so can't tell you if the taste is different!

Anyway I reckon its a top drop!
Pete, being a fellow dark ale lover I reckon this one would be right up your alley! :party:

beers
DK

You know looking back on it, I dont really know why I added dark brown sugar. Again it was just sitting there open on the shelf after being used in a Belgian.
Have not done a side by side so can't tell you if the taste is different!

Anyway I reckon its a top drop!
Pete, being a fellow dark ale lover I reckon this one would be right up your alley! :party:

beers
DK
Probably the trick to brewing an award winning beer. :lol:

:party:

Probably the trick to brewing an award winning beer. :lol:

:party:

You see from this thread that I started a companion thread asking you fine men of alcoholic endeavour to submit the best of these here listed toucan recipes into our "Recipe" section. Please find time to do so, as in the long run, the results will be used by noobies to the site to adavance their knowledge and beercraftmanship (if ever I buy a boat, I'm going to call it "Brewcraftmanship")

:beerbang:

toucans I have done
Choc Stout Mahogony Toucan
1 x coopers Stout tin,
1 x Cascade Choc Mahag Porter,
500g DDME,
0.25kg Choc Malt Grain (steeped in 1Lt water for 15min - bought up to boil from cold then steep),
22L,
pitched 0.6L of yeastcake (Wyeast 1098) from Kenzie EQPA
OG 1.060, FG have to get back to you.

Thick Dark Toucan
1 x coopers stout
1 x coopers real ale
1kg dry DME
1kg coopers b/e 2
a handful of amarillo pellets boiled 10 minutes & tossed in fermenter
23 litres
US-56
approx 2 weeks in primary, low 20s, 2 weeks cc.

Cascade Imperial Voyage Toucan
2 x casc imperial voyage
0.4kg Dex
0.1kg LME
Dump and stir
28-30L
use 2xkit yeast - I used 0.2L of yeastcake from Kenzie EQPA
nice quaffing drop. I used dex to bump up %alc. could use some hop additions.

other suggestions (on my 'to do' list):
Cerzesa Toucan
cervesa can x2
250g dex
glacier hops
26L
larger yeast. ferment 2 weeks at 12C
crash chill or 1 week at 3C

Coopers Toucan Stout
two cans of coopers stout,
1kg dark dried malt,
10ml liquorice extract,
dryhopped with fuggles.
fermented with s-04

EDIT: Kenzie EQPA is the name I gave one of my past brews, so dont go looking for some yeast or kit called Kenzie EQPA. Yeastcake came from a Wyeast 1098

Ok, I kegged my very first toucan on Sunday and tasted it last night, now I was not expecting big things, it was a bit of a "throw in what I have lying around" sort of brew.
Fermented in primary for 6 weeks cause I forgot about it, transferred to cube and kept at 4oC for 9 weeks cause baby came along and I had no time to do anything!.......... but oh my god this is a top drop, can't wait to get home to have some more tonight!

2 X Tooheys Classic Dark Ale (1 in boil for 60min, the other added at 5 min)
500g dark brown sugar
30g Perle @ 30 min
15g Cascade @ 5 min
S-04

Cheers
DK

How many liters did this make?

This would be the best Toucan I've ever made.
Actually it is the only Toucan I've made :rolleyes:

Cascade Chocolate Mahogany Porter/Coopers Lager
150g Crystal
20g Amarillo 10mins
20g Amarillo Dry Hop
Nottingham yeast

As kits go it's one of my better brews

Just started my first Toucan
Coopers Lager + Coopers Draught
Saflager W34/70
Should be interesting when I can drink it.
Would never have thought to use two cans until I started reading this site :party:

I did this one a while back and dry hopped with Hallertau, came up pretty good. Some nice bitterness but not overly bitter, next time I might only use half the draught can and add 500g LDME.

My first and only toucan was my first and only stout (to date). Brewed on Australia Day and not touched for three months or more (still got some).

One Can Coopers Stout.
One Can Coopers Dark Ale.
100g Wheat Extract boiled in 3litres filtered water for 30 minutes.
20g Willamette, 10g Goldings plus a MSB lager yeast added as a 20 minute addition.
Made up to 22litres and pitched onto a freshly-available S-04 yeast cake from Coopers Real Ale. Stood Back.
Racked off the yeast cake after 14 days and bottled 14 days after that.

Excellent value for effort. Gets better as it gets older.

other suggestions (on my 'to do' list):
Cerzesa Toucan
cervesa can x2
250g dex
glacier hops
26L
larger yeast. ferment 2 weeks at 12C
crash chill or 1 week at 3C

Im changing this receipe to the below cause i recon it will be a pearla for summer:
2 cans x Coopers Cerzesa
250g dex or 250g rice malt
15g glacier hops @ 15min
15g glacier hops @ flameout
2 x lager yeast (s-23) @10C 3 weeks, @2C 1 week
28L. approx OG 1.045 FG 1.011. 5.%
maybe some more glacier hops for more lemon background flavour notes.

hey all some toucans ive done

TRAPPIST
morgans aus draught
morgans canadian india pale ale
1kg black fern hopped wheat malt extract
500g belgian candi sugar
30g styrian goldings boil 1hr
wyeast "trappist" smackpack
og1068
fg1014

DARK WHEAT
morgans golden sheaf wheat x2
300g maltcraft caramalt
50g dark crystal malt- both steeped for 1/2 hr
1kg ironbark honey
w3068 wyeast smackpack
og1060
fg1012

both toucans tasted fantastic and will be done again
also done a threecan (trican maybe!) stout but that belongs in another thread

cheers,dan

hey guys don't know if this can be call a toucan

1 can Cooper's Original Stout
1 can Cooper's Dark Malt
300gm Rolled Oat @ 60mins
10gm Cascade hops @ 30 mins
5gm Cascade hops @ 10 mins
5gm Tettnanger hops @ 2 mins
20gm of Nescafe Gold Blend @ end of boil
SAF yeast s-04 pitched at 26 degrees
Fermenting at 20 degrees for pass two days at 18 litres

hoping for a good stout.

hey guys don't know if this can be call a toucan

1 can Cooper's Original Stout
1 can Cooper's Dark Malt
300gm Rolled Oat @ 60mins
10gm Cascade hops @ 30 mins
5gm Cascade hops @ 10 mins
5gm Tettnanger hops @ 2 mins
20gm of Nescafe Gold Blend @ end of boil
SAF yeast s-04 pitched at 26 degrees
Fermenting at 20 degrees for pass two days at 18 litres

hoping for a good stout.

I did something like this a few months back. Ross and a few other guys said to mash the oats with some Pale malt.
Dunno how to do a link, so search for this thread, "Oatmeal Stout, uncle toby's irish breakfast".
Good luck.

I have 7 longnecks left of my toucan stout which I only bottled 4 weeks ago.... My wife dosn't drink beer but loves this stout, personally I find it a little too bitter and would have preferred to have boiled the dark ale to evaporate some of the hops oils.

Recipe -
1 Can Coopers Stout
1 Can Coopers Dark Ale
400g Brown Sugar
15ml Licorice Extract
25g Fuggles, dry hopped for 5 days after fermentation
US56 Yeast (Would not use the kit yeasts, US56/S05 is FANTASTIC!)

OG 1056, FG 1013.

My next stout is currently fermenting and I have not chosen to make this recipe again straight away... much to my wifes dismay. I tell her this one should turn out better.... hope it does!!

1 Can Coopers Stout
1kg Dark DME
750g Brown Sugar
500g Chocolate Malt (Steeped 30mins at 80 degrees)
125g Crystal Malt (Steeped 30mins at 80 degrees)
10g Fuggles @15mins
15g fuggles dry hopped
US56 yeast

Best thing about a stout is that you can eat chocolate, ice cream and sweet foods with it. Sweets don't go well with beer and sometimes you can sick of savoury snacks like crackers and cheese.....
We also have mixed our toucan stout with a little coke... tastes alright! I prefer a black'n'tan though!

Yet another vote for the Coopers stout & Coopers dark ale toucan combo!!

Latest posts

Back