Bathurst Homebrew Competition 2006 Details

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stuart and Goatherder,

See I told you. If you chilled the beer quickly you may have picked up some firsts :p

If only we'd listened to wise Uncle Darren. :lol:

Yeah you could do worse than listen to Uncle Darren.

In 2004 he gave me some advice on how to brew a barley wine on the Grumpys forum, along with Pedro of Gulf Brewery, and that is the beer that won at Bathurst.

For anyone interested the details of that beer are here

Hey I remember that,

You said you were going to send me one :rolleyes:

cheers

Darren

Hey I remember that,

You said you were going to send me one :rolleyes:

cheers

Darren

Long memory! Yes I did, and I am planning to make good that promise, once I get the notes back from Bathurst and confirm they definitely did like the beer, and didnt accidentally get it mixed up with one of Barrys.

Good Day GL
Tell you a story about your barley wine. Several judges were standing around after judging with the strong ales just finishing. The strong ale judges were just finishing their scores/comments for the last one. The overheard praise was so high the main steward poured a few samples for those standing around. I must say it was so smooth, port/muscat flavours, an excellent version of the style. When the strong ale judges called for the remainer of the bottle, just to be sure even though they had finished the jug it came in, the bottle was empty, no one could explain it (the score sheets had already been submitted). So it was very well appreciated BOS.

The judges and the stewards have no idea how the beer was made. Well made beers, to style, go well in comps.

My beers where judged "not to style" although considered very drinkable and well made but no hint was given as to what style I should have entered them in. Looking foward to the ISB brew day for some help on this.
The way one form read was if you don't make a Guinness copy then you haven't made a stout !

Barry wrote,
'The judges and the stewards have no idea how the beer was made.'

Barry,
True, but it doesn't stop some from guessing/ presuming. :)
I remember one comment a few yrs back ' Needs more maltodextrin'!!!!!!
Oh dear.
Further, can you imagine the look I'd get if I asked our mutual friend for a packet of said brewing additive?
:)

Rgds,
Peter

PS What happened to the Munich Dunkel @ Bathurst? Did you not enter it?

Back