Basic Q re kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SerLung

Reaction score
Most of the kits are based on 23 litres. If you make only 20 (what fits in the keg), what is the likely difference?

Higher alcohol?
A bit thicker?

No difference, just less beer?

I've only ever done this with one kit - the Coopers IPA. It actually recommends on their website to do this, they call it the "Authentic IPA". It was probably one of the best kit beers I ever made.

Never tried with any other kit though.

Most turn out fine at the 20L mark, some may end up too bitter perhaps. Have a look and play with ianh's spreadsheet and you will see what changing the volume does.

Could try putting less of the can in or less extract. Using Ians spreadsheet (on the stickies on Kits and Extract) you would be able to work out whats required to balance out the flavour.

i do this every now and again with good results. it ultimately depends on how you like you beer.

As stated above, you get more body, alc and bitterness. if that is what you are after go for it. I recommend it for many kits.
What Dave doran suggests is good, have a play with the spreadsheet to get the numbers you are after.

You could also just bottle the extra 3 litres (that doesn't fit in the keg). little bit of sugar into some sterile bottles (quantity depends on size of bottle and level of carbonation you require) if you don't have a bottle capper, use PET. just ensure you sterilise the lids too.

Alex.Tas said:
You could also just bottle the extra 3 litres (that doesn't fit in the keg). little bit of sugar into some sterile bottles (quantity depends on size of bottle and level of carbonation you require) if you don't have a bottle capper, use PET. just ensure you sterilise the lids too.
I also tend to do this when I'm filling up my kegs. I keep a few bottles to carb in the garage and drink them a month or two after (I call it my "reserve collection" heh)

It's cool to go back to older brews and useful for when you start experimenting with different recipe tweaks etc

Canuck

Latest posts

Back