Basic Brew Stand

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOG

Reaction score
Hi,

(yes, I've tried the search engine)

Can someone help. I need some basic dimensions for a brew stand.
I've scored $300 in Bunnings Vouchers and was planning to use "Metal Mate - Slotted Steel Angle". www.rcr.com.au
I don't have a welder and don't know how to weld so this stuff seems quick and easy.
I was planning to use the heavy duty stuff.

The requirement is for a basic 3 vessel system stand using 50Litre SS kegs.

I've seem some examples of brew stands but it's difficult to work out how much room is needed.

How high is resonsable for safe working? Storage of LPG bottle?
How do you lock the kettle to the stand? (Stop it being knocked over)
How much gap between vessels on the stand?
Do you position the keg in the centre (Front/Back) or position it at the back to allow space for the ball valve and hoses?
I have a 3 ring burner. I use a house brick to put the keg on the ground. Suggested optimal gap between burner and keg?
How do you stop the HLT burner from melting the Mash tun (for those that use an esky)?
Wheels or casters?

I assume there are some basic rules that hold for building Brew Stands. Can you help?

Thanks

BOG

I think the weldless brewstand is what you are after http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...30264&st=20. Their are some pics i there where you could either query the owner or count the holes...

AFAIK the burner height will depend on the burner you intend to use, but the hottest bit of the flame is always the tip.

the beauty of the slotted angle is that you can make changes quickly and easily... as i have done countless times while building mine

as for specific dimensions; you will probably have to tailor them to your needs

some ball park figures:
2m height
1m width
1m depth
3 shelves

so approx 24m of slotted angle not including diagonal bracing (a must)

Pitty your not in Victoria, i would have given you an old comms rack to use.

Rook

Hi,

(yes, I've tried the search engine)

Can someone help. I need some basic dimensions for a brew stand.
I've scored $300 in Bunnings Vouchers and was planning to use "Metal Mate - Slotted Steel Angle". www.rcr.com.au
I don't have a welder and don't know how to weld so this stuff seems quick and easy.
I was planning to use the heavy duty stuff.

The requirement is for a basic 3 vessel system stand using 50Litre SS kegs.

I've seem some examples of brew stands but it's difficult to work out how much room is needed.

How high is resonsable for safe working? Storage of LPG bottle? with gravity only anything oner shoulder high is too high IMHO.

How do you lock the kettle to the stand? (Stop it being knocked over) Generally they sit on the frame. The weight will hold them down, you could use some slotted angle to build a base for the keg to sit in.

How much gap between vessels on the stand? Enough for the vessels outlets to go from one to another.

Do you position the keg in the centre (Front/Back) or position it at the back to allow space for the ball valve and hoses? You can do either, look and SABCO site for ideas. With a tiered system the calves can be on the side , going to the next level.

I have a 3 ring burner. I use a house brick to put the keg on the ground. Suggested optimal gap between burner and keg? With a 3 ring you dont need too big a gap, maybe 50mm

How do you stop the HLT burner from melting the Mash tun (for those that use an esky) HLT will be above the esky if you go 3 tier gravity. A shield of thin sheet metal will suffice along with 150 mm clearance

Wheels or casters? Only on a 1 or 2 tier i suggest. Make sure they are able to carry 150kilos and are lockable

I assume there are some basic rules that hold for building Brew Stands. Can you help? Trial and error.

Hope this helps.

Leigh,

that's the post I couldn't find. I can seen my questions in the post but couldn't find it again. The pictures of the slotted stand is what I was after. Thanks

Rook,
Comms rack . Good idea. I'm in the industry so that might be an option yet.

3G / L_bomb,

I failed to mention that is will be a single tier system with march pump. Haven't got the pump yet but will towards that plan.
Thanks for the responses.

BOG

Bsic dimensions of a single tier brewstand:

1800mm long, 400mm high, 500mm deep. Add castors and it becomes about 500mm high.

Lots of variations to consider tho. Pics of mine (welded) are in my gallery.

Search for "brew stand" if nothing else, works for me.

Nice, single tier. As above 500wx500high with casters ,could be a bit shorter maybe 1500.

Here are the pics of the one I did Linky
feel free to shoot me a pm if you want any more detail on this one

Maple

Maple,

Was that the heavy duty (38x38x1.8mm) or lighter stuff?

Could you use the 32x32x1.5mm? It's significantly cheaper.

BOG

just one tip, the kettle has to drain into the fermenter or cube so make your kettle high enough then work your way up. if the hlt is too high you can use steps.

Maple,

Was that the heavy duty (38x38x1.8mm) or lighter stuff?

Could you use the 32x32x1.5mm? It's significantly cheaper.

BOG
Not sure off the top of my head, but I will measure it up when I get home and report back.

just one tip, the kettle has to drain into the fermenter or cube so make your kettle high enough then work your way up. if the hlt is too high you can use steps.

This is true if you dont use a pump. I pump the wort thru the CF chiller so the kettle could be lower.
Cheers

Not sure off the top of my head, but I will measure it up when I get home and report back.
I used the 38mm. not sure that I'd go the smaller one, if you think about the weight involved in 50L kettle type things with one full of water, one with ~15kg of grain, and at various stages the kettle filled as well.

The best part is when I'm done, I flip it onto its' end and store both the HLT and MT inside it, and the kettle on top, with the Pump and misc bits in the lower section. total footprint is 500mm x 400mm + castors.. sfa really.

I used the 38mm. not sure that I'd go the smaller one, if you think about the weight involved in 50L kettle type things with one full of water, one with ~15kg of grain, and at various stages the kettle filled as well.

The best part is when I'm done, I flip it onto its' end and store both the HLT and MT inside it, and the kettle on top, with the Pump and misc bits in the lower section. total footprint is 500mm x 400mm + castors.. sfa really.

You chose right by using the 38mm heavy duty slotted angle. I was going to buy some of the black powder coated angle and dropped it only to see it was very rusty under the powder coat! The galvanized heavy duty one would be much better. Nearly twice the cost, but worth it. The other one I think is rubbish.

Latest posts

Back