Basic All Grain Recipe Help Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The brewcellar dry American ale yeast is OK. Used it many times previously with no issues. Just make sure you pitch enough.I used to build up starters for best results or dump onto 1/2 heast cake. From memory the brewcellar range has about 12gm as to the coopers which is only 6 or 7gms dry yeast. It should be fine. If in doubt put two packets but keep temp a tick under 20*
Daz

So it would be wise to make a starter with it IE 250mls of wort pre hops and add the yeast when its about 26 degree's?

So it would be wise to make a starter with it IE 250mls of wort pre hops and add the yeast when its about 26 degree's?

If its a dry yeast just rehydrate, and proof if you like... no need for starters with a dry yeast.

well the missuis got me a coffee grinder and i am about to have a play on wednesday.
will do the job hey?

For BIAB yes will work (aparently) but I personally hate the effing things and really enjoy the results I get from milling.. when I was doing partials and such I got a few stuck sparges from using a grinder and took great joy in sending it back to obscurity under the kitchen bench.

effing grinders <_<

If its a dry yeast just rehydrate, and proof if you like... no need for starters with a dry yeast.

For BIAB yes will work (aparently) but I personally hate the effing things and really enjoy the results I get from milling.. when I was doing partials and such I got a few stuck sparges from using a grinder and took great joy in sending it back to obscurity under the kitchen bench.

effing grinders <_<

yeah can't comp[lain when you get it for chrissy.

Although the LHBS got a mill from TWOC so i will now be able to get all my grain milled now :)

assume you like coffee too so If I understand correctly you BIAB and like coffee.. = win/win.

yeap i enjoy a freshly plunged coffee.

Although had to go cold turkey as 2am going to sleep wasn't cool for day shift. perfect for night shift though

The coffee grinder works ok for me.I get my base grains in 5 Kg. lots cracked by craftbrewer.The smaller lots I get in 1 Kg packs whole and grind up what I need in the coffee grinder.Works well for me.
wombil.

**** the burr grinder is messy as... taking about 40 mintues to grind all the grains and i dunk it in and one big dough ball..

It came as a dough ball as the grain was very fine so i placed the grain bag in a large bowl and then dumped the grains into the bowl...

i mixed it up and broke up the ball as best i can and stirred and stirred. so its mashing now... hope it works out

I had the same problem first time I did it. I think it needs to be noted really well, to slowly put your grinded grain into the mash, about 200g or less at a time. then stir. other wise your there for 30 mins just getting rid of dough balls.

I had the same problem first time I did it. I think it needs to be noted really well, to slowly put your grinded grain into the mash, about 200g or less at a time. then stir. other wise your there for 30 mins just getting rid of dough balls.
I dump everything in at once and don't get dough balls. I must be a superior brewer :p

If you have ground your grain into a dust and want to avoid doughballs - dough in with half your normal strike water at below the gelatinisation temp of barlez (55C). And then add a couple of jugs of coffee kettle water to bring it up to exactly your mash temp.

You'll find that your grain doesn't ball up, and the mash is all "floury" and cloudy ... then the magic happens when you stir in the boiling water: suddenly it hits conversion temps and goes clear. That's the flour turning to maltose - yes, pretty much in front of your eyes.

Try it some time. Just dough in with hot tap water, stir the porridge :)D) and infuse boiling water in until you hit the sixty somthing you are aiming for - while stirring.

Bonus is, you get your little 5 minute protein rest for free, and you can be wicked accurate on your mash temp without bothering to calculate any strike stuff.

I hear a lot of commercial breweries (they also grind to dust for efficiency reasons I hear) do the same thing.

EDIT: if you want to get cunning you can add your first boiling water infusion to bring it to say, 62C ... then after 40 minutes you can add another to bring it to 70C for 15 minutes, and not have to apply any heat - pretend you are mashing in an esky and can't apply heat, like a "real brewer". :lol:

You can hit close to 100% efficiency using this method.

thanks guys for info

i just did my og and calculated my eff. 49% :S

If you have ground your grain into a dust and want to avoid doughballs - dough in with half your normal strike water at below the gelatinisation temp of barlez (55C). And then add a couple of jugs of coffee kettle water to bring it up to exactly your mash temp.
It definitely works, I do the same thing except for using my burner to increase the temp instead of boiling water.

the grind

DSCN9983.JPG

the boil.

I didn't get one of the mashing in but after it sat for 60minutes it was very clear! and i was astounded after the dough ball that was my grain.

DSCN9986.JPG

DSCN9987.JPG

Now this is after the boil. looks almost as good as the mash out. i did get a lot of fluffy looking strings floating through the wort. Is this when i should whirlpool or let it sit for longer then 10 minutes? I also added a whirlfloc tablet @ 15 minutes into the boil

this could explain why i got low sg as there was a fair bit of trub. next time i will use hop socks and try to reduce the trub even more.

i did rush as i started at 9:30pm and finished at 1:35am...

DSCN9989.JPG

Latest posts

Back