Basic All Grain Recipe Help Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish13

Reaction score
Well i bought same pale malt grains today to start my first ag now i have my STC-1000 and 3 ring burner.

This is a modified recipe i got from JYO so do start on my at the hops :p

willamete pales (Australian Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.046 (P): 11.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (P): 2.6
Alcohol (ABV): 4.69 %
Colour (SRM): 4.6 (EBC): 9.1
Bitterness (IBU): 31.2 (Average)

71.43% Pale Malt
21.43% Liquid Malt Extract - Amber
7.14% Dextrose

1.7 g/L Willamette (4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Galaxy (12.2% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Galaxy (12.2% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18C with Safale US-05

does it sound in-tune? or should i modify some of the ingredients a bit?

First thing is, it's not an All Grain recipe. Why are you adding extract? Just add some spec malts and more base malt....?

Not sure about yor hopping schedule as ive never used willamete or galaxy, but the glaring thi g to me is why go to the trouble of using the base malt which youll have to mash, and then bulk it up with liquid extract? Just sub it out for more base malt. Someone will no doubt chime in with a substitute quantity as im sure its not gram for gram.

Hopping Schedule looks great. I'd probably slightly up the Galaxy, for my tastes (up to 35IBU). Willamette and Galaxy, surprisingly, play well together, and the soft but firm bitterness from willamette is really quite good. I did a low abv% english pale with it a few months ago and it really was fantastic.

Might I suggest some Citra with the Galaxy? My Lord Nelson Citra Cascading out of this Galaxy Pale ale (recipe on db) has it, and it's a really good APA and pretty newb friendly.

Finally, make sure if you are no-chilling, that you've adjusted for it.

Goomba

Goomba

Personally I think brewers should not adjust unless they are making a very specific recipe from someone else (tried and true, originally chilled and at the hoppy end of the scale) OR they find their resulting beer out of balance in which case work out what adjustments and how.

Hopping Schedule looks great. I'd probably slightly up the Galaxy, for my tastes (up to 35IBU). Willamette and Galaxy, surprisingly, play well together, and the soft but firm bitterness from willamette is really quite good. I did a low abv% english pale with it a few months ago and it really was fantastic.

Might I suggest some Citra with the Galaxy? My Lord Nelson Citra Cascading out of this Galaxy Pale ale (recipe on db) has it, and it's a really good APA and pretty newb friendly.

Goomba

I would say replace the liquid extract with 1kg of grain for every 750g of extract. :icon_cheers:

Personally I think brewers should not adjust unless they are making a very specific recipe from someone else (tried and true and at the hoppy end of the scale) OR they find their resulting beer out of balance in which case work out what adjustments and how.

+1

My experience is that I wish I hadn't accounted for no-chill when on that path. Beers where under hopped in taste and bitterness.

Fish, have you got your BIAB bag and suitable sized pot (keggle) sorted, mate? If so, as others have suggested, just go for the recipe as an AG.

Something like-
4.7 kg pale malt
200 gm crystal 120
150 gm carared
50 gms choc malt

And the hopping schedule will get you a lovely amber ale there, mate.

edit- assuming 23 litres.

I would like to think no chilling does add some bitterness. I have an entirely cube hopped IPA that is, whilst a little less bitter than anticipated, certainly not sweet.

It does absolutely add some bitterness. No question from my experience, having tried the same hoppy/late hopped beer split into two batches - one plate chilled, one no chilled.

The point is that if you take everyone else's word for how to adjust (which is often all over the place) before you've got the hang of your system/method or even an understanding of what kinds of IBU (theoretical) brews you like to drink, you'll be in no man's land. Keep it simple. Not every beer will be perfect but trying to make every beer perfect by doing everything all at once means you don't know which bit does what or which bit to change next time.

For all we know JYO's original recipe he sent to fish13 might be no-chill so adjusting a no chill recipe for no chill will stuff everything up.

IBUs are numbers and in the case of most homebrewing they are theoretical numbers. Find your sweet spot. Learn how to design recipes for your system and palate. Brew, adjust and tweak as you learn what's going on (with your system, method, beer and palate).

The original recipe was an all extract that I came up with for Fish to try and get him somewhere in the ballpark of an American Amber of mine that he tried at the recent case swap.
So it was not anticipated to be a no-chill.

Cheers.

looks fine, that amount of galaxy late, if your no chilling, could be a little "harsh"

maybe, if no chillin (and only the one grain at the mo)

100 % pale grain

60 min galaxy (do half as first wort) to 20-25 IBU
30 min galaxy - 3 to 8 IBU

5 + 0 willamite 0 - 2 IBU

Total IBU 25 -30

if can buy some more grain,

then 5% crystal
5% wheat or munich
some brown/amber or the like to the colour you desire

I'm about to go back to the LHBS with my lager and some other stuff as they are wiring up my STC 1000 for me.

so i'll replace the amber extract - i only used it as i have a 1.5kg in the cupboard - with crystal and chocolate?

what about a veinna for a toffee flavour?

Since i cleaned the HBs out of pale malt i got some JW veinna malt. 1kg to be exact and 200g of chocolate.

I chill in a tub filled with water and gel packs

So if i substitute the amber extract for 800g of veina and keep the 80 to 100g of choc it may turn out nice or will it turn out comfused?

they didnt have US-05 but had brew cellar american ale yeast. is the brew cellar stuff US-05 or junk? i had bad experience with an english ale yeast of theres recenty.

willamete pales (American Amber Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.047 (P): 11.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (P): 2.6
Alcohol (ABV): 4.79 %
Colour (SRM): 11.3 (EBC): 22.3
Bitterness (IBU): 31.1 (Average)

64.94% Pale Malt
25.97% Vienna
6.49% Dextrose
2.6% Chocolate

1.7 g/L Willamette (4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Galaxy (12.2% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Galaxy (12.2% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18C with PRO-09 - AMERICAN ALE

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

The brewcellar dry American ale yeast is OK. Used it many times previously with no issues. Just make sure you pitch enough.I used to build up starters for best results or dump onto 1/2 heast cake. From memory the brewcellar range has about 12gm as to the coopers which is only 6 or 7gms dry yeast. It should be fine. If in doubt put two packets but keep temp a tick under 20*
Daz

Back