Bars In Sydney?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polar Beer

Reaction score
G'day all

Im going up to Sydney this weekend. Staying in Pitt St. Need some advice,

Is there anywhere I shouldn't miss? (Im sure this is covered somewhere else, but I can't find it. Link me to it if you can)

I've been to Red Oak and I'll go in again this time. I've also been to the Melbourne tap house a load of times. Is it worth going to the Sydney one?

Also, I'll be with some non-fussy drinkers looking for a day & night out. Anyone got any sugestions?

Finally - there will be 3 of us getting into the airport at 10:30pm. Taxi or train to town?

Cheers
Polar

[topic="0"]bars in sydney[/topic]

Also have a look for the sydney AHB pub crawl thread. Pretty much the same as this.

Note: Equilibrium has died in the arse... it's now World square pub, and has lots of empty holes where great beers used to be.

edit: Dunno why that link didn't work... here it is again.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...?showtopic=9131

From what i have read recently i would give Red Oak a miss as some have been disappointed with the quality.

for 3 of you taxi or train will probably be similar.. at that time, a taxiw ill probably be easier as it will drop you at the door!

thanks for the replies fella's

that's a good link petesbrew

for a beer with a view, go to the Opera Bar..

www.operabar.com.au
(I cant comment about the beer selection until tommorrow...)

or the glenmore hotel in the rocks. Go to the roof!

I would go to the taphouse, Schwatz (Macquarie Hotel), Redoak,

for a beer with a view, go to the Opera Bar..

www.operabar.com.au
(I cant comment about the beer selection until tommorrow...)

or the glenmore hotel in the rocks. Go to the roof!

I would go to the taphouse, Schwatz (Macquarie Hotel), Redoak,
3 Good calls DJ.
Glenmore is just across the road from the Australian too.
Schwarz beers would have to be the most affordable in town.
Also Paddy's Brewery out at Flemington markets do great beers... if you have time for a trainride.

Opera bar is one of my favourite bars in Sydney, if I consider more than the beer menu.

They normally have an opera bar blonde or opera bar pale on tap that is brewed by red oak.

Kabooby :)

From what i have read recently i would give Red Oak a miss as some have been disappointed with the quality.

I'm certain that's been more of a bottle issue? I could be wrong as I haven't been to Red Oak for almost 2 years but it was pretty damn good when I went. If only it wasn't so pricey!

Apart from that you may as well check out The Local there.
There is a thread on here about Harts Pub opening in The Rocks which will have mainly/only NSW micros on tap.

Macquarie/Schwartz was OK when I was there, nothing too exciting but good Pale Ale & Stout from memory.

Lord Nelson have some OK beers but don't bother buying the bottles for take away.

Lord Nelson have some OK beers but don't bother buying the bottles for take away.

Stayed upstairs at the Lord Nelson a couple of years ago while in Sydney for a wedding anniversary. Nice rooms, good service and got a chance to talk to the brewer. The beers were okay ... nothing extraordinary ... but at the time I was only brewing kits and bits so I was impressed as it was my first microbrewery experience.

Always planned to return for a weekend ... any recent comments apart from the no go on the bottled beer?

I just went to the Local taphouse the other day on the way home from work and was very impressed. Only had one beer but enjoyed it immensely and would highly recommend. If you are looking for a feed they also do a five shared dish beer and food matching banquet. $48 a head. Not done it yet so can't comment but I plan to soon. I love the fact that a place like this has opened up in Sydney and plan to contribute to it's hopeful success quite often, especially during footy season.

The Lord Nelson down in the Rocks brews their own as well, not tried it myself but I'm sure others on here have and may be able to comment.

Also one of my favourite pubs in Sydney to have a drink in is The Fortune of War, which down in the Rocks as well. It's just across from the Museum of Contemporary Art near Circular Quay. Not sure why I like drinking here, I just do. Steer clear on nights that they have a small band in the corner though, can be uncomfortably loud and annoying if you wanting a few quiet beers and a chat.

As mentioned, the Macquarie up on Wentworth St brews their own as well, another of my favourite pubs to drink at in the city however I've had mixed experiences with their beers. I reckon you should try them for yourself though.

The James Squire Brewhouse down at King St wharf goes alright too, good beers, decent feed. There's also heaps of other restaurants and bars round there as well which are worth going to. Dress smart though, some like to think they are a little more upmarket and will be a little selective with their door policy on occasion

Last one, I'd doubley vouch for the Opera Bar as well. If and when I ever get vistors from o/s it's one of the first places I take them for a drink. If the weathers good, get there late afternoon when the sun's low in the sky and it's one of the most amazing places to have a drink in any city in the world. They don't miss you for a drink but when you turn around from the bar and take in the view, you won't care.

As for the cab v train debate, I'd advise cab, especially if there's a few of you. It'll work out about the same, if not cheaper, you'll get out where you want to be, no walking from station to hotel, getting lost, etc. If you're looking for a beer after you check in, depending on where you are staying on Pitt St, there is a host of pubs around the traps on Pitt and George. Also, although it is quieter this time of year than any other, and assuming your a normal and reasonably sensible bloke, who will be travelling with the same, I'd resist the urge to go to the Cross on Sat night. If you do get up there, get out by midnight, after that a few heads turn into pumpkins and the lunatic soup well and truly takes over. Ditto with George St around the cinema areas.

Hope this helps mate, it's a good town, plenty of things to do and you'll have a good time

How long into the weekend will you be staying?

I went to the Taphouse Local Laughs last night. Next Sunday Greg Fleet is headlining which would be a good night out.

Lord Nelson in the afternoon, Glenmore before dusk then move onto the other bars as mentioned. Opera Bar can't be beat for the view.

Well I'll have to make sure I get to this Opera bar. Tap house on Sunday night might be a goer. Heading back Monday.

Thanks for all the advice :icon_cheers:

Cheers
Polar

Back