Barossa Brewhaus Brew Day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMK

BrewInn Barossa:~ Home to GMKenterprises ~
Reaction score
Hi All

I have a former beer brewing apprentice over from Canberra on the weekend of 26Jun04.

In honour of showing him what Adelaide All Grain Hospitality is all about - i am doing my 3rd All Grain Brew.

Dough In will be at 1.30pm.
Beer will be a Doc's JS Strong Ale - hopefully a double batch as I have a 10 Gallon mash tun and a 75ltr kettle.
Might try and get the pump working for this one.

Any one wanting to come upto the Barossa Brewhaus and participate are welcome.
Currently, have 12 - sorry now 10 stubbies of JS Strong Ale in the fridge so that we can sample on the day - plus 3 kegs on tap.

Can arrange a bbq - but i will not be cooking as i am brewing - any volunteers.

The Anzac day was a really good day had by all so i hope that my mate can go back to Canberra with some fond memories.

PM if you can make it and if you can bring something - eg chips, dips the odd Beer Goddess/Cougar Girl would be nice.... :rolleyes:

Thanks

Looking forward to another great Adelaide AHB Day.... :chug:

Bugger im brewin and doing other shit could wathc the zinfadel brewer with his zinfadel yeast in his beer he ehe he

Too early to say if i can make it yet GMK but if iam free i will come for sure.

Jayse

Can't make it either Ken, but the next weekend I'm hoping to be up in the valley for a few hours after dropping my Beer Goddess/Cougar Girl off at the airport. :D

Have you found the address for the mash paddle yet? How about the pumps from Marion road? Oh, and a price on those bits?

I'm sure Zinfandel will work well with a bit of tartaric... ;)

Cheers.... :D

GMK,
Unfortunately I'm gonna have to miss another Barossa Brew Day... my family is over from NSW for my nephew's birthday. Next time Ken.

Andrew,
I bought a Sicce Idra pump from Creative Pumps on Marion Rd, Mitchell Park this week for $69.

Regards
Steve

Steve,

I'd be interested to hear how you go with the aquarium pump.
I've been eyeing up the same one for a similar price to convert my brewery to two tier from the existing gravity driven three tier.
Please post some piccys when you get it going.

Beers,
Doc

SteveSA said:
Doc,

I'm one of these people who haven't come out of my cave yet and still use 35mm. :ph34r:
:D

I've read up on Grahams article before and re-read it again a week or two ago.
Interested in what you use for your connecting pipe work etc.
Also whether you see any heating of the unit even when in a bowl of water.

Beers,
Doc

I've used clear food grade poly tube. The pump inlet is fixed at 16mm. Since the tap on my mash tun fits 12mm I've used a reducing joiner part way down. The outlet is 20mm but this is changable as it's a 1/2" threaded adapter that can be swapped with any other. I've kept the 20mm and use 19mm hose. All joins have been tighten up with hose clamps to stop a VERY minor leak at the reducing joiner.

During testing, I circulated 30L of 70C water for around an hour. The water temp dropped to about 60C but that heat loss was due to the length of my hoses. At this stage, I only use it to vorlauf and to transfer wort to my kettle which is about 4m away (shoulder's buggered - can't lift the kettle + 33L wort).

The rate of recirculation with the tap fully open was about 6L per minute. Too fast for my liking as it can cause the grain bed to compact. In an effort to slow this down I closed the tap halfway and that caused cavitation :angry: A 19mm in-line tap in the outlet hose should fix this though.

The water temp that the pump was sitting in barely moved. I didn't even bother measuring it with a thermometer. After reading the article and speaking with Brad McMahon (another Adelaide brewer using the Idra) I was confident that it was unnecessary. After an hour of recirculation it was still stone cold.

I'll try it out this weekend and hopefully be able to get hold of a digicam so that I can post a few pics.

Steve

:unsure: Oops... Sorry about the thread hijack Kenny :unsure:

Hey kenny, I'm gonna try and make it up, see what I can break this time, something wooden or plastic im thinking this time. My skills are wasted on masonry :D

pr1me said:
Hey kenny, I'm gonna try and make it up, see what I can break this time, something wooden or plastic im thinking this time. My skills are wasted on masonry :D
As long as it isnt the house or the brewing gear - we will be OK...

never brought down an entire house before..... maybe once i start brewing sour mash whiskey :lol:

I'm pretty sure I can't make this one Kenny.

but if Prime is intent on some major demolition work, I may have to change my plans :lol:

maybe I should bring over what's left of my gazebo from your last visit to me, eh Ken? ;)

Have a good one Kenny , I wish I could be there , if only to see you fill the HLT again :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am sure all who turn up with have a ball , Kenny is a wonderful host , and of course all the family make you most welcome , I love the bananna and bacon thingys Mrs Kenny makes ! :p

Batz said:
I love the bananna and bacon thingys Mrs Kenny makes ! :p
credit where credit is due, I thnk these are Mrs OzDevil's creation.

but Kenny and family are definitely fine hosts

OK

Got my parcel from Goliath's today.
1 kg of POR
1kg of Tassie goldings hop flowers
1kg of Carawheat
1kg of Caramalt.

my wyeast 1099 pack is all puffed up ready to be stepped up.

I am all ready to do the JS Strong ALe on Saturday..... :D

Back