Barleywine Ingredients

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Duck

Reaction score
I was rummaging through my grain supplies on the weekend looking for my Irish Moss tabs (yep... found em thanks).

I kept coming across little bags of specialty grains (mainly crystal malts of differing colour) in quantities ranging from ~50g to probably 300g and anything in between.

My question is.... if you are doing something like a barleywine, could you (measured) dump in all the little baggies of grain without seriously impacting on balance, colour etc ? I figure the total weight of the "mixed lollies" mix would be <1Kg.

I'd probably keep the mix to being 1 style of fermentables.. ie Crystal from 50-250 EBC @ 1KG or less. It would just be the ratio of each colour that would be different.

Thoughts ?

Duck

well any additon of grain will impart flavour, how much is obviously dependant on the grain itself. 1kg in a 10kg grist isnt alot of grain although 10% crystal in an already high expected FG could be a little dangerous and could end up cloying. if anything i'd suggest adding some sucrose to help drop the FG a little and keep the body slightly thinner.

Although thats just me.

how many different varieties of crystal are you planning on adding? are you talking excessive (5 different types) or 2-3?

If it where me i'd just throw out the scraps and use the bulk specialties if you where planning on a cleanout. After all, 100g of crystal going to the dumpster isnt going to break the bank. Unless youre worried about losing fifty cents.

Why chuck it? It's not the money, it's just excessive wastage that we as DIY types shouldn't be contributing to. Get a takeaway container, place excess grain in, order more and top each one up. Ongoing supply, no need to waste, no need to brew specially just to use stuff up.

Sorry for the slight tangent.

Why chuck it? It's not the money, it's just excessive wastage that we as DIY types shouldn't be contributing to. Get a takeaway container, place excess grain in, order more and top each one up. Ongoing supply, no need to waste, no need to brew specially just to use stuff up.

Sorry for the slight tangent.

A master stock of grain hey. i like the idea in theory, but in practice you're probabaly goint to end up adding slack grain to fresh grain if the turnover isnt really quick (unless of course the grain in the baggies has been in sealed containers and not open to air).

with my 'one off' specialties i have them in baggies and in a container thats sealed and typically full to the brim to reduce staling. As you have already noted, with my larger specialty grains i constantly topup and instead of holding onto the 50g odds and ends, i adjust the recipe to suit.

Instead of tossing it into landfill, toss it onto the garden/compost. ;)

Hey, maybe its just me but i like my grain to be as fresh as it can be where possible. i have used slack crystal malts before and did notice a difference when i got a sack of fresh stuff. The slack crystal flavour was kinda dull.

If the amounts are 50g to 300g I don't see the problem.

The 300g one for example is enough for one 20L batch of most beers that need crystal.

50g fair enough.

I'd use the bigger quantities by making recipes that need them.

The smaller ones I'd mix together and make an amber ale and see how it turns out. Bet it'll be nice.

Fourstar:

It's easy mate. Takeaway container on a shelf marked 'choc malt' (for example). Ends up with 57g after a few brews. I need 150 g for my next stout, I order a kg uncracked from the LHBS. When I weigh my grain, I chuck in the remaining old stuff, add new stuff to make up the weight, put the unused stuff in the takeaway containers and seal up. No waste, no slack and fresh grain. Continue the cycle.

One off grains I tend to order specific amounts for specific recipes. I've never done, nor needed to do a leftovers brew. Nothing against them although the last one I tried tasted just like that - bit of a confused mess.

If I absolutely had to, I would only use a couple for each brew to avoid confusing the palate. Hop use would be similar.

or buy some chooks.
or you could use that whole 1kg worth about??? $5 in the barleywine.......... Sit on it for a couple years to find it stinks because its too sweet and cloying or too much caramel, nutiness etc and you will kick yourself.
When I age something for a long time I try to leave nothing to chance. If you have to use it, use it a quaffer bitter APA etc. My 2bobs

just chuck them in IMO. as long as you keep the beer roughly in balance it'll be fine.

of course, record how much of each goes in just in case you make your favourite ever beer!!

Thanks for that Fourstar.

I'd need to have a look at each one individually to see. Most will have been purchased through our club meeting hosts shop. So assuming he uses the same supplier for each type there may be 2-3 different types.

I'd say:

Med Crystal 110-145 EBC
Dark Crystal 190-230 EBC

might be a few baggies of CaraPils etc.

I was planning on dragging out my grain boxes tonight and doing an inventory anyways.

Duck

Thanks Fourstar,

I`m all the wiser too about fuckall of this thread. I thought Manticles post`s made more sense.
Now the Duck is going to weigh and check it? FFS, why didnt you PM Fourstar in the first place.

Inventoried all my grain and entered it on Brewtoolz...

Thanks to Chris Taylor for his excellent work on Brewtoolz. If you haven't used or looked at it... it really is worth a shot. http://www.brewtoolz.com

So easy when someone asks you... what did you put in "Beer X" you can hit the website and see the recipe... even if you changed it on brewday. Also all your fermentation logs and tasting notes. Love it.

Ended up with a hybrid between Manticles idea and someone elses. Now I know what I have, I will just dump it all in the mash on a first bought, first used basis. Fortunately I was pretty finicky about sealing up the bags so the grain should be relatively fresh still.

Duck

Latest posts

Back