Barley Crusher Motor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
Hi all,

I salvaged this beast out of the mother in laws washing machine & wondering if it can be wired up with a plug & used as any 240 volt appliance, or is it a death trap waiting to zap me if I touch it while its plugged in. I want to motorize the Barley Crusher.

Picture002.jpg

Picture001.jpg

YXD-135 Type motor
240v 50Hz 135w 1.3A Class B

Crusty

It is a death trap - wiring it up will result in death - it wasnt meant to be run exposed. There is a thread called motorised marga mill or similar that show a lot of pulleys that are commonly used to motorise mills, have a squiz. Also a pulley bulk buy with a lot of pics.

"is it a death trap waiting to zap me if I touch it while its plugged in." Yes. Proper appliances are designed and certified to be guaranteed to be grounded by an earthed box that prevents you from comming into contact with such a 240V motor without taking out screws - you could sell it to a scrap yard.

I am about to try automating a mill with a 50cm/kg torque 12V geared motor - that is a lot safer, and since it is heavily geared is more likely to work.

It won't zap you if its plugged in (unless its really faulty). As long as its earthed and use common sense it should be fine. I would be more worried about the rotating fan taking my piggies off !

But, If you had to ask this then probably best you don't try and wire it up otherwise you may end up zapping yourself in other ways.

Look at motorising using an electric drill or similar for a safe option

Andy

Thanks guys,

Will toss it out. Don't want the wife to find a crispy critter in the shed.
Will look at a proper electric motor instead. Going to do double batches this year & I aint milling by hand, no way.

Cheers,

Crusty

In it's present configuration I think it would be dangerous to use, but that is imatesticle as I doubt that 1/5th Horsepower is going to give you anywhere near enough grunt without some serious gearing.

Screwy

What mill do you have? I have a marga mill and just put a 1/2 inch spade bit in the 240V drill hold it tight, and 8kg is done in 6 minutes - the hard part is keeping the hopper full!

Edit, last mill took 20 minutes. not 6.

1hp/0.75kW capacitor start, capacitor run 240V single phase motors, 1450RPM with a 1/2" (13mm) drive shaft are about $180 delivered from fleebay. Im sure your life is worth more than that. You'll also need a set of pullys most likely a 12" and 1.5" pully to get the speed reduction and a belt.

IMO unless your setting it up on a permanent milling station your probably better off with a 240V variable speed drill with 2 speed gearbox. Cheap ones can be picked up for about $100 from the green shed. Most have a 13mm chuck too which is a bonus.

A proper motor and pulleys is obviously the best way but also has a few traps if you've never played with power transmission setups in the past. Also can be more dangerous with youngsters around - belts and pulleys will take off a finger or two no worries

As for the motor pictured I dont think its a danger (your probably more of a danger if you start dicking around with it) but I think it would be a PITA to get moving. Washing machine motors are more trouble than they are worth in my experiance with them. I'd bin it and put it down to experiance.

I picked up a Wiper Motor for an old Falcon (XF). Its got a basic worm gear reduction in it. It turns around 70rpm on the highest setting and has heaps of torque. I haven't set it up yet but it will be a basic direct drive, pushing a Monster Mill 3 roller. Going to use an old car battery with a charger (stuff i had laying around).

I don't imagine it will be the quickest, but I have 2hrs while the HLT heats up anyway.

So what motor should be used?

If you look at the success posts of motorising various mills you'll find most of the ones that last the long haul without burnig out motors are using AC Single Phase motors of 1/3rd, 1/2, 3/4, 1 hp with 1/2 hp being rather common and using a belt and pulley system to drive the shaft on the mills. Rarer would be the worm drives, gear reduction systems, toothed belts and pulleys, people who wired their homes with 3-Phase electricity running 3-Phase motors, etc.

I have successfuly converted a washing machine motor but again required help of a motor rewinder for an internal coil diagram to successfully wire the motor as washing machines have more advanced wiring coils for multiple speeds and even reverse running capabilities. So if this sounds like jibberish then stop and omit this course and just get a motor new.

Motor needs to be bought first so you can read what speed it naturally turns the motors shaft. Pulleys are bought to size afterwards to reduce the speed the mills shaft will be turned so don't worry as you can get the final speed near abouts where you want with pulleys.

Finally if you are not competent wiring up a motor to a switch to a power cord then get professional help.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Id use something like this
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/REMX-1HP-0-75kW-140...=item56382cbf8e

single phase, 0.75kW/1hp, capacitor start & run (this helps so you can start the mill when the hopper is full of grain. This motor also has a reversable start cap which means you can mount the motor either side of the mill and still get it driving the right direction), 1400ish RPM which means that its easier to get down to the 150 - 200ish RPM that most mills need to run at to get a good crush, foot mount means you dont have to stuff around with trying to make up a flange mount, 19mm (3/4") shaft makes finding a suitable pulley nce and easy.

this isnt a death trap.. but its prolly to small AND you are missing the run capacitor. i am using a similar motor and it not quite big enough

you'll have to use a massive pulley or a more complex twin pulley setup to get that slow enough. The motor is fine, but its a 2800RPM

Tried using my cordless drill

Crusty

Really..?? i mate and i use a cordless to crush 30kg with a Barley Crusher quite often for large batches.
Set up properly with the variable lock on.. you can just leave it and let it go.

i use a cheap Ozito electric drill from Cunnings for my BC.

Sammus Wrote:

you want 1400rpm minimum i reckon, its too hard to gear it down otherwise.

Do you mean 1400rpm max?

I looked at those motors Sammus & thought the 920 rpm would be too slow. I couldn't get the Barley crusher to work with my cordless drill. Just jammed up & wouldn't turn the rollers.

Crusty

yep I do :) 1400 max at the motor shaft. You want to gear down to around 200rpm, so the slower the motor is at the shaft, the better you'll be at finding the right pulleys. If you're running a 2pole motor (2800) you'd need an absolutely enormous pulley on the mill, which leads to all kinds of problems.

The reason your drill was unhappy is because a drill's power rating is at or close to full RPM, if you're running the drill at a bee's dick of the max rpm, you'll only have a bee's dick of the power available. Gearing it down and allowing the motor to run at full speed you get full power still. It's torque you need, not rpm :)

Latest posts

Back