Barley Crusher Motor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a beast. I would've been tempted by that had I seen it when I was shopping for a motor. I did manage to convince myself that I'd prefer a belt reduction as opposed to gears. Belts slip, gears don't; you'll either break the gears (expensive), the motor (Expensive), or your mill (expensive). Gears also wear out, it might take a while, but I didn't want to have to think about getting the gearbox rebuilt. This is about a billion times more applicable if it's a worm drive. Pulleys are simple, slow wearing, and cheap as to replace.

Not to mention you'd have to couple that output shaft to your mill somehow, either with pulleys or directly with some kind of spider coupling. With a 25mm shaft you might not want to think about the spider coupling option, except for the one at jaycar which is too small, the only ones I found we're pretty pricey.

Looks like a beast. I would've been tempted by that had I seen it when I was shopping for a motor. I did manage to convince myself that I'd prefer a belt reduction as opposed to gears. Belts slip, gears don't; you'll either break the gears (expensive), the motor (Expensive), or your mill (expensive). Gears also wear out, it might take a while, but I didn't want to have to think about getting the gearbox rebuilt. This is about a billion times more applicable if it's a worm drive. Pulleys are simple, slow wearing, and cheap as to replace.

Not to mention you'd have to couple that output shaft to your mill somehow, either with pulleys or directly with some kind of spider coupling. With a 25mm shaft you might not want to think about the spider coupling option, except for the one at jaycar which is too small, the only ones I found we're pretty pricey.

good points, no use having a gearbox that could fail and use pulleys to couple it to the mill, when a motor without a the risk of gearbox failure also coupled with pulleys.

Thanks sammus

Back