Bar Fred

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronin

Reaction score
Thought I'd share with you a place I found. I went out to dinner last night at a place on Nicholson St in Carlton north called Bar Fred. It had one of the best beer menu's I'd found in Melbourne (up there with lambsgo bar in my opinion), and the Pizza was great. Reasonable prices too I thought.

http://www.barfred.com.au

Cheers,

James

Our beerological socitey camped there until closing, saturday before last. You're right- the pizza was awesome and it was comparible to lambsgo.

Great selection of French, German Belgian, Czec, Canadian, Australian and NZ beers. There were a couple of lambics thrown in as well as an extensive trappist and abbey ale list. The bar tender (a Canadian or American bloke?) was knowledgable and willing to discuss the beers from both a gastronomical and distribution perspective.

They had a specific glass for every beer which we found especially helpful, although the majority of beers were served far to low at around 3-4 degrees. When we brought this up, the barkeep pointed out that they can't have a fridge for every beer and they need to keep them cold for the pilsners and lagers.

Oddly, there was not a single UK beer on the menu.

Refreshingly, it wasn't packed with suited wankers, we were able to order and receive beers immediatelty, and most of the beers on the menu were in stock (unlinke some other city based beer havens).

It was well worth the visit, I recommend it.

bloody good prices compared. better than Mrs Parmas (which for some reasons has taken off its prices).

Will definately have to go there. Havent had a Saison in ages.

Our beerological socitey camped there until closing, saturday before last. You're right- the pizza was awesome and it was comparible to lambsgo.

Great selection of French, German Belgian, Czec, Canadian, Australian and NZ beers. There were a couple of lambics thrown in as well as an extensive trappist and abbey ale list. The bar tender (a Canadian or American bloke?) was knowledgable and willing to discuss the beers from both a gastronomical and distribution perspective.

They had a specific glass for every beer which we found especially helpful, although the majority of beers were served far to low at around 3-4 degrees. When we brought this up, the barkeep pointed out that they can't have a fridge for every beer and they need to keep them cold for the pilsners and lagers.

Oddly, there was not a single UK beer on the menu.

Refreshingly, it wasn't packed with suited wankers, we were able to order and receive beers immediatelty, and most of the beers on the menu were in stock (unlinke some other city based beer havens).

It was well worth the visit, I recommend it.

I thought the beers were a little too cold too, I guess that explains it. Unfortunately the one beer I really wanted lastnight (Rodenbach) they didn't have. Oh well I'll just have to go back again.

I thought it was odd that there weren't any UK beers too...I'll have to ask him next time I'm there.

Lastnight it was almost empty, which I thought was a real shame for what it is. We need more places that serve good beer...I'll be back for sure.

bloody good prices compared. better than Mrs Parmas (which for some reasons has taken off its prices).

Will definately have to go there. Havent had a Saison in ages.

I'd really recommend it, my wife and I are going to try and get there regularly. I thought the prices were incredible too, especially when compared to places like the belgian beer cafe.

Back