Ballarat Beer Festival

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the first of its kind, nothing a posteriori to go on I'm afraid. But rest easy, in Ballarat we don't need megaswill to start trouble.

Keep your eyes out for the AHB shirts and when you see a red flare go off then we TAKE CONTROL OF THE VENUE!
Lol,.... Cool. I'm looking forward to it. :)

Yep, come say g'day truman. We will be brewing in the tent next to the breathalyser, he he.

Where do you locals recommend as a good place to go out for dinner on Friday night?

Somewhere that has good food but more importantly good beer. Not just megaswill on tap or in bottles.

Cheers

Let me know if you find one.

But seriously, I don't really go out in town much so you'll have to hope someone else can contribute.

at the insanely over inflated price of entry and tokens,whats wrong with using real money anyway?, i dont think the hoon drinkers will be much of a problem. i know when i done the sums it was more than enough to keep me away and i wasnt planning on going and drunk.

at the insanely over inflated price of entry and tokens,whats wrong with using real money anyway?, i dont think the hoon drinkers will be much of a problem. i know when i done the sums it was more than enough to keep me away and i wasnt planning on going and drunk.

Yeh mate you have a point there. But there will be a big crowd there from what the lady at Tiketek told me when I brought the tickets. She said she had sold a lot already.

I will be hooking up the camper trailer - me, my son and two of his mates are making a weekend of it. Staying at the Welcome Stranger caravan where we will spend the night after the festival drinking my brews

$30 for a day out, drinking good beer, watching Claire Bowditch and Stonefield. Too easy. For me, thats good value.

I like these types of events, they're fun. Who gives a shit if it's organised with sponsors and a profit in mind (BTW. thats not directed at anyone in this thread, but a common objection i've heard recently). I don't have a problem with that. I'll pay my $2 or $1 or whatever a tasting because those micros have to break even and/or make a buck. I don't have a problem with that. 1000's of tossers pay $8 for a Corona on any given night of the week. If someone makes a profit organising this event - good. They'll organise another one.But I digress...

I think it will be a great event that has and will continue to promote craft beer. The more people drinking craft beer, the more interest in home brewing IMO. Thats a good thing. These types of mainstream events bring craft beer to the majority more than our homebrew ever will. I don't give a **** what people drink, but the less people give to the majors, the better in my opinion. Plus, the wankers won't be there, I'm sure.

I've got a beard and i'll probably be wearing a Canucks shirt. Say g'day if you see me.

Dave

can anyone post a bit more detail aboutthe event??? This sounds really interesting but the web links are down and I cant find any more info...might head up with the camper trailer too!

$30 for a day out, drinking good beer, watching Claire Bowditch and Stonefield. Too easy. For me, thats good value.

I like these types of events, they're fun. Who gives a shit if it's organised with sponsors and a profit in mind (BTW. thats not directed at anyone in this thread, but a common objection i've heard recently). I don't have a problem with that. I'll pay my $2 or $1 or whatever a tasting because those micros have to break even and/or make a buck. I don't have a problem with that. 1000's of tossers pay $8 for a Corona on any given night of the week. If someone makes a profit organising this event - good. They'll organise another one.But I digress...

I think it will be a great event that has and will continue to promote craft beer. The more people drinking craft beer, the more interest in home brewing IMO. Thats a good thing. These types of mainstream events bring craft beer to the majority more than our homebrew ever will. I don't give a **** what people drink, but the less people give to the majors, the better in my opinion. Plus, the wankers won't be there, I'm sure.

I've got a beard and i'll probably be wearing a Canucks shirt. Say g'day if you see me.

Dave

I completely agree with this, I am very excited about going this weekend and am making a day of it with about 6 other mates. Taking the train up and back in a day so hopefully the v/line wont let me down

IMHO $30 is not really expensive considering the prices over here for most things - my local pub charges $10 for a pint of Coopers so ~ 3 pints for entry isnt bad. I do remember going a few years ago to the Great British Beer Festival which I think was cheaper and clearly much bigger but was incredibly busy. Always realised that moving to Australia would mean all these things are done on a smaller scale but that brings other benefits such as being able to get a seat at a pub on a Friday night after work - not easy in London.

Where do you locals recommend as a good place to go out for dinner on Friday night?

Somewhere that has good food but more importantly good beer. Not just megaswill on tap or in bottles.

Cheers

Might be a bit of a struggle. There's not many places offering up stuff up tap apart from that offered by the megaswill breweries.

Craig's Hotel in Lydiard St is a nice feed and they have a decent beer list (in bottles). You would be looking at $30 + mains there. I reckon it's not bad value as the table service is usually really good and the meals are good restaurant quality.

For something different there's a Thai place in Sturt Street called Jasmine Thai. It's not bad and you can BYO beer there. It's "cheap and cheerful", you might need to book to get in there though.

The Mallow Hotel on Skipton st has Mountain Goat IPA and Steam Ale, and White Rabbit Dark on tap as well as a small selection of bottles in the fridge. Great meals at a reasonable price. This would be my pick.
http://www.facebook.com/themallow

GeeCees is on the main drag (Sturt St) and has a wide variety of meals, and James Squire Amber and Golden on tap amongst some pale lagers

The Mallow Hotel on Skipton st has Mountain Goat IPA and Steam Ale, and White Rabbit Dark on tap as well as a small selection of bottles in the fridge. Great meals at a reasonable price. This would be my pick.
http://www.facebook.com/themallow

Thanks Bear, I didn't realise the Mallow was doing these beers. Think I may have found a new local. With this new info in mind I say go there too!

sounds like there may be a fair contingent of AHB'ers attending. hope to meet some of you at the B.A.R. stand if I head up!...will have to make sure I remember to wear my AHB polo. hoping to drag along another one or two from this way...can you recommend a Caravan park within stumbling distance of the venue?

sounds like there may be a fair contingent of AHB'ers attending. hope to meet some of you at the B.A.R. stand if I head up!...will have to make sure I remember to wear my AHB polo. hoping to drag along another one or two from this way...can you recommend a Caravan park within stumbling distance of the venue?

Stumbling distance.. there are none. Nearly all of the Caravan Parks are on the edges of town.

Thanks Bear, I didn't realise the Mallow was doing these beers. Think I may have found a new local. With this new info in mind I say go there too!

Yeah, it's a pretty new thing. Since Dallas took over the pub from Paddy O' he's given it a bit of a facelift and has visions of a bit of a VicCrafty tap lineup. Seems to be on the right track so far.

I'll be along for the Beer Fest myself, an I'll be stopping by the B.A.R. to meet some fellow brewers. Shaping up to be a good day out!

The GC on sturt street has James Squires on tap. Meals are nice...

As for tomorrow, I've got a busy night ahead getting all my gear ready. I can't promise the prettiest site, I'll leave that to the big boys, but I do have my own brew bitch Lecterfan (his words!) who has volunteered to keep us all entertained with gum leaf music.

The BAR are shariong a site with the local HBS, so got no idea how its all going to work, but it will be fun. I'll be the skinny bloke in the red 'simple really shirt and straw hat. The bearded lady blowing on gumleaves will be Lecterfan....

Having an awesome day at the BBF. Met Lecterfan and the boys. Good music great beer. If your not here then.. It sucks to be you.

Latest posts

Back