Ball Lock Vs Pin Lock Kegs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nibbo

Reaction score
Hi all...Looking into purchasing some kegs to venture out of bottling. As i've never dealt with anyone who keg themselves, i was hoping for some feed back on what are the major advantages/disadvantages with these different kegs. As far as i know, cornelius kegs are the way to go which i belive are the ball lock kegs.
Because i'm not 100% on this, i needed some clarifacation.
My apologies about the stupid question...i was born this way :wacko:

The only differences are obviously different type of quick disconnects are needed for each keg. Pin lock kegs have 3 pins on the liquid out post and 2 on the gas in, so I guess its harder to get each side mixed up. Whereas the ball lock kegs have much similar looking posts and if you wanted to, I believe you can actually force the quick disconnects onto the wrong post.

Also the size is slightly different, I believe that pin locks are slightly taller and skinnier than ball lock. But the biggest thing is probably the amount of spare parts for ball locks are everywhere and a lot easier to buy than pin locks.

I myself have pin locks as I came across them for a good price when starting out in kegging, now that I have all my gear suited to pinlocks it doesn't make any difference really.

If that doesnt answer your question then probably just do a search, heaps of info on the differences

Ive got both.
But I also use threaded disconnects so I can swap between them easily.

Basically I picked up the pinlocks cheap as no one wanted them and at first I thought I would change them to ball lock - then I priced up parts - feck that! So I bought the disconnects and never looked back.
Honestly I dont think it really matters unless you want to swap with people with ball lock kegs. I sort of have the best of both worlds I can swap with mates with either pinlock or ball lock. Then again I dont honestly know that many guys that swap kegs either...
I think the pinlock kegs are a better keg though and the fitting to me feels a lot more "possitive" in its connection.

Cool Banana's...from all the comments and searching on the interweb, i think pin locks will be the go mainly cos there cheaper to buy upfront. Once i've got all the gear i'll be set.

Thanks all for replying.

The Pinlocks by Cornelius are easily converted to Ball Lock posts anyway, but as already stated, only 2 of the Pinlock kegs will fit into a series 3 Kegerator. Not an issue if you're working from any other sized fridge/freezer setup. A New replacement lid with a pressure relief valve is relatively inexpensive if you want a manual PRV on top for burping the kegs off.

OEM Ball Locks will become increasingly harder to source and most likely dearer as a result i suspect, but there's hundreds of thousands in circulation.

Martin

Back