Ball Lock Disconnect Issue

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About six months ago the missus bought me a kegerator, so I didn't have to keep traipsing out to the shed for a beer. Anyway, she bought one of the ebay types (Don't shoot me - Craftbrewer was out of stock at the time!).

The fridge runs fine - very happy, but the discconects that came with it are crap, pissing beer everytime I connect the beer one to the keg.

The only thing to do is to get it on and off as quickly as possible to minimize the beer loss. I'm about to head out to buy new disconnects now - sick of traipsing out to the shed again.

I've got plenty of disconnects in the shed system, just never had this issue before. Anyone else had a similar problem?

About six months ago the missus bought me a kegerator, so I didn't have to keep traipsing out to the shed for a beer. Anyway, she bought one of the ebay types (Don't shoot me - Craftbrewer was out of stock at the time!).

The fridge runs fine - very happy, but the discconects that came with it are crap, pissing beer everytime I connect the beer one to the keg.

The only thing to do is to get it on and off as quickly as possible to minimize the beer loss. I'm about to head out to buy new disconnects now - sick of traipsing out to the shed again.

I've got plenty of disconnects in the shed system, just never had this issue before. Anyone else had a similar problem?

hi mate,

got any pics? is it leaking from the assembly itself or from the where the hose is connected maybe the clamp just needs tightening?

matt

I'll take a photo soon - it wastes a ridiculous amount of beer each time I put it on. Its coming from the actual assembly. I'm going to pop out and buy a new one now - then I'll see what the go is with a pressurised keg of water.

Its heartbreaking to see the beer gush out... makes me all misty just typing about it.

Sorry for the size, not really up to speed with uploading photos. Not a good photo, by any stretch, but gives you a rather large idea of what is happening.

364.jpg

I've never seen that happen. Must be something wrong with it.

Just to make you feel better, once I accidentally put the wrong disconnect on a keg. The one I put on was just going to beer line that had nothing on the other end, so basically the keg emptied itself out into the bottom of my chest freezer. Lost about 15L of beer and a horribly messy cleanup.

A few years ago, when I first got my kegging setup from my brother, he didn't have any dissconnects etc, and had gas line connectorsof some description plugging into the corny kegs. The point is there was no disconnect, so if you unplugged a pressurized keg you ended up with a beer shower - big time!

Luckily that was when I was still doing Coopers Kits so I wasn't too upset to lose the beer...

Of course this is before I found this forum, so I thought it was normal. Best site I ever stumbled on for making me feel like a tool!

Back