Bad beer from Nowra

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KE VO

Reaction score
Hi all.
I've done half a dozen brews into kegs. I taste them as they go in and they always taste great, but after a couple days gassing they dont seem to taste half as good. I not sure if its the way im putting the beer into the keg or if there is another problem. So im here to learn from you blokes that make great beer.
Cheers KEVO.

Just wondering if im kegging properly. I use a hose onto the FV tap to the bottom of the keg. Pour the brew in, place the lid onto the keg. Put the keg in the fridge and connect the gas line at 30psi and burp the keg 6 times. I then leave the gas turned up for 48 hours before releasing the pressure down to 10psi and connect the line to the tap. Seems ok sometimes but a bit inconsistant.
I have looked through the forum, but can't find the correct procedure to transfer from FV to keg. Any help please.

Sounds like a normal transfer process to me.

What do you clean your kegs with? Could that be the change in flavour?

Just wondering if im kegging properly. I use a hose onto the FV tap to the bottom of the keg. Pour the brew in, place the lid onto the keg. Put the keg in the fridge and connect the gas line at 30psi and burp the keg 6 times. I then leave the gas turned up for 48 hours before releasing the pressure down to 10psi and connect the line to the tap. Seems ok sometimes but a bit inconsistant.
I have looked through the forum, but can't find the correct procedure to transfer from FV to keg. Any help please.
Just checking 1 point , have you filled the keg with CO2 when you start filling from the fermenter ? You could be oxidising the beer.

Just checking 1 point , have you filled the keg with CO2 when you start filling from the fermenter ? You could be oxidising the beer.
Just connect your CO2 to the keg being filled and release some CO2 into the keg now and then - CO2 is heavier than air so it will "blanket" your brew as it's filling up and help minimise oxidation.

Just connect your CO2 to the keg being filled and release some CO2 into the keg now and then - CO2 is heavier than air so it will "blanket" your brew as it's filling up and help minimise oxidation.

If this were true, wouldn't we all be dead from a co2 blanket across the planet?

Not unless your gas dip tube goes down to the level of the beer, which they don't. It will inject CO2 through the tube and almost immediately escape out of the top of the open keg. So unfortunately, this approach won't be of any help, and will just waste CO2

If this were true, wouldn't we all be dead from a co2 blanket across the planet?

The mythical CO2 'blanket' does actually exist (in closed, sealed places, like a fermenter or sealed keg), but only for a short amount of time (minutes) before the gases mix.

The mythical CO2 'blanket' does actually exist (in closed, sealed places, like a fermenter or sealed keg), but only for a short amount of time (minutes) before the gases mix.

You said it, in sealed fermenters this is true. If you want zero oxygen, you need to fill the vessel with a liquid and seal it. Then push the liquid out with co2 and not open it. Spraying co2 down the diptube is going to do SFA.

it is true , we have convection currents that constantly move all the gases in air around. A good example of gases heavier
than air that can build up in a closed space lacking convection currents is a grain silo. If you think of dry ice , the sinking fog is the
COLD CO2 gas condensing water vapour which also sinks further as it gets heavier.

Not unless your gas dip tube goes down to the level of the beer, which they don't. It will inject CO2 through the tube and almost immediately escape out of the top of the open keg. So unfortunately, this approach won't be of any help, and will just waste CO2
I address this by using a liquid QD attached to my gas bottle to purge, also used for quick shake force carbonating

I address this by using a liquid QD attached to my gas bottle to purge, also used for quick shake force carbonating

That would be of help for purging and force carbing, but doesn't address what Yuz said - that user said to squirt in CO2 intermittently when filling. It doesn't matter which diptube you put the CO2 through when you're filling the keg - if the lid is off as you're filling the keg, the CO2 will just escape the keg and not settle. It's pointless

I would seriously doubt that exposure to oxygen would lead to a demonstrable decline in flavour after a few days. Even if you were pouring straight from the fermenter into a keg that would be very fast deterioration.

I think something else might be happening...

That would be of help for purging and force carbing, but doesn't address what Yuz said - that user said to squirt in CO2 intermittently when filling. It doesn't matter which diptube you put the CO2 through when you're filling the keg - if the lid is off as you're filling the keg, the CO2 will just escape the keg and not settle. It's pointless
It obviously isn’t pointless if you do a closed transfer.

It obviously isn’t pointless if you do a closed transfer.

I'm not saying that. Have a read back through the OP's post - he is filling the keg with the lid open/off, so a discussion about squirting in CO2 during a closed transfer doesn't help him.

P.S. If you're adding CO2 to the receiving keg when doing a closed transfer, you'll actually be putting more resistance against the incoming beer and stopping it from coming in...So it is actually quite pointless.
You should have the keg either pre-pressurised (at a lower psi than the donor vessel), or pressurised then purged (if the donor vessel isn't pressurised)

Latest posts

Back