Bacon Jam

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! Might have to make some of that. Spread on some fresh sourdough with a hunk of cheese. Yep, that'd do me.

Sounds like the savory version of this spread.

When I first got my p's in highschool, I used to keep a container of it in my glovebox with a spoon, and get a sugar fix on whilst driving.

It would be far too sweet for my savory tooth now...

vegemite.jpg

FTW :beerbang:

You horrible, horrible man stu.

Unaustralian of me to admit it maybe, but the black scrapings of autolysised yeast from the gumboots of CUB cleaners will never make it onto my toast. Bacon jam sounds like a much better idea.

I have a chef mate who made some bacon jam and served it as an accompaniment, it was a winner.

I don't think i've ever had a bad bacon product though...

Doesn't taste the same. Almost as bad as Marmite. Rather eat bacon jam than fake Vegemite.

I'd eat vegemite over aussie mite any day of the week, but for such an aussie icon to be made overseas - like so many others - is just depressing...

Either way, the larder at home has vegemite, although not used very often.

It was weird, when I went overseas for a few months, i never used to eat much vegemite, maybe once a month or so, but got huge cravings for it.

Must be part of the old 'you only want what you cant have' trick.

Bacon bourbon.

i made a litre odd this with a full kilo of cheap bacon off cuts. Wasn't much of a bacon taste. But some American guys on the forum i was on did it and reckoned they had a full on bacon hit.

I think it's that they get real smoked bacon and we'd have to buy it from a good butcher to get the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair point. Neither would I.

Unless you have 'offcuts' from your own.

What about smoking commercial bacon to make it better?

I'd never waste my homemade bacon on a project like that.
I get a heap of offcuts when I square up the bacon block to put it thru the slicer and also a fair number of mis-hits whilst slicing, which I usually gobble up. Now all I need is a recipe for this stuff and I can cast my daily vegemite dose to history.

Back