Backsweetening A Toucan Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fermented

I have the body of a god: Buddha.
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Late last night I laid down a Toucan Stout. Was busy on the phone on business and making dinner and... doing too many things at once. Forgot to add my extras, so it was pitched and sealed as a plain Coopers Stout toucan. I realised my error this morning when it was busy ejecting out of the airlock and the pile of goodies was sitting untouched on the bench...

Tasted a sample and it's possibly over-bitter. I'm OK with the taste and am sure that three months of bottle conditioning would smooth it out, but I doubt house-guests or the missus would be quite so fond of it.

So, to 'fix' it, I was thinking to backsweeten it with lactose.

Is it possible to inoculate the bottles at priming time? i.e. Put 250 gms lactose into solution and syringe it in with the priming dose? I know it would be easier to rack onto the priming dose and backsweetening solution, but I don't have a spare vessel at the moment.

Looking forward to your opinions.

Cheers - Fermented.

If you just put it on last night couldn't you add it in now? Boil some water, let it cool, stir in lactose and then add. I don't know how well lactose copes with heat so I'm not recommending boiling it up based on that. Like I said though - I don't know. I use lactose in stouts and ciders but it's stored in the fridge.

Lactose being unfermentable, I can't see that or your priming method would hurt particularly.

Won't do any harm to crack the lid and pour in the extras now.

OK - wilco on adding the extras.

Will wait until tomorrow as I have beer-foam snakes flying out of the airlock and the head is pressed up hard against the lid. These kit cans go nuts with S-05 slurry! Can't wait to pick up a pail of regular LME in the morning.

Greatly appreciate your guidance.

Cheers - Fermented.

Latest posts

Back