Back In The Saddle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems to be a fundamental law of brewing. The worse you stuff up the process, the better the beer is.

Not in my brewhouse. The Sandgroper steinbeer which included loss of mash tun handle, loss of most of mash, re-mash, blocked pickup tube in kettle, three failed yeast starters....is now a shocking beer. Started out OK, then a slow growing infection turned up, now thin, watery, lactic, with a strong metal taste. Looking forward to the ANAWBS notes where it scored a princely 13/40. Possibly getting too drunk, leaving the caramelised rocks in the back yard overnight, (beside the sterilised pot intended to store them) and chucking them in the fermenter next day may have contributed, or not realising that lifting the (brand new, unused) fermenter with all the rocks in it caused the seam at the base to split and seep. Aiming for less stuffups for next years stein beer.

On the model plane side of things, here's a run of my new Saito FA-30S four stroke. Love that four stroke sound.

You're a crazy man Colin. :lol:

You should try hooking that up to a grain mill. :beerbang:

Warren -

Ok - its done! As predicted, the 'brew day from hell' produced one of my finest ever beers. It finished at about 1.008, is light & grainy with a subtle rye flavour and delicious hops combination. I will use this combination of styrian goldings + centennial + EKG again - to make an unusual twist on APA or IPA.
Hey Colin
I recently brewed a variation of your Amarillo Ale after a lengthy time away from the brewery and an empty keg fridge. The Amarillo Ale has broken the drought in fine style. Might have to have a go at the Allbutt Ale some time!
cheers
HStB

Ok - its done! As predicted, the 'brew day from hell' produced one of my finest ever beers. It finished at about 1.008, is light & grainy with a subtle rye flavour and delicious hops combination. I will use this combination of styrian goldings + centennial + EKG again - to make an unusual twist on APA or IPA.
Hey Colin
I recently brewed a variation of your Amarillo Ale after a lengthy time away from the brewery and an empty keg fridge. The Amarillo Ale has broken the drought in fine style. Might have to have a go at the Allbutt Ale some time!
cheers
HStB
If you do, don't forget the rice hulls!!!!!!

I wish I could get another batch of APA to come out as good as the original batch of Amarillo. It used 2004 crop Amarillo, which had a far richer flavour than the ones we're getting now.

On the model plane side of things, here's a run of my new Saito FA-30S four stroke. Love that four stroke sound.

You're a crazy man Colin. :lol:

You should try hooking that up to a grain mill. :beerbang:

Warren -
That's not crazy - its only a little one! The guys who fly control line with an engine 3 times the size of that one turning a 16 inch prop are the crazy ones.

Hmmm ... the world's first Saito four stroke powered grain mill. Nah

Back