Baachus & Barley Alaskan Ice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smashed jaffa

Reaction score
Hi all, I've just started brewing and have purchased a coopers brewing kit from G.J. Coles. I managed to swap the can of draught supplied with the kit with a can of the Coopers International Pale Ale (on the advice from HBS), and have just bottled this 5 days ago. I am looking forward to blowing the froth off the top of a few of these overs xmas!

Anyhoo I also have purchased a can of B&B Alaskan Ice and a 1kg bag of Beer muscle (all of which recommended from HBS), as my next brew once I have enough bottles.

Has anyone brewed this kit b4 and if so any suggestions to what I should expect and any mods to make better.

P.S I intend to purchase a secondary fermenter for this batch after reading just about every post on racking and bulk priming...sounds like a good idea, and not too scientific for this newbie :beerbang: .

Cheers.

Smashed Jaffa.

smashed jaffa said:
Hi all, I've just started brewing and have purchased a coopers brewing kit from G.J. Coles. I managed to swap the can of draught supplied with the kit with a can of the Coopers International Pale Ale (on the advice from HBS), and have just bottled this 5 days ago. I am looking forward to blowing the froth off the top of a few of these overs xmas!

Anyhoo I also have purchased a can of B&B Alaskan Ice and a 1kg bag of Beer muscle (all of which recommended from HBS), as my next brew once I have enough bottles.

Has anyone brewed this kit b4 and if so any suggestions to what I should expect and any mods to make better.

P.S I intend to purchase a secondary fermenter for this batch after reading just about every post on racking and bulk priming...sounds like a good idea, and not too scientific for this newbie :beerbang: .

Cheers.

Smashed Jaffa.
[post="98764"][/post]​

yeh mate ive got one waiting to age at the moment i chucked in a pale beer muscle wit it. my mate has done one so i'll ask him about it and get back to you

im guessing you went to edithvale HBS

Thanks for the reply Jimbro,

I've already got this in primary and am probably going to to rack this to a secondary fermenter tomorrow or the next day. This is what I did with it:

Bacchus and Barley Kit
Ice Beer Muscle
15g Cascade hops 8.0%AAU
Yeast Starter from a bottle Coopers Pale Ale

Boiled up the Beer Muscle as per instructions on packet in 3 litres of water, Cascade hops for 15 min. Chucked in the kit, then straight into fermenter and topped up to 21 litres.(Its all the boiled water I had at hand, slack I know!). Waited till the Wort came down to 28C and pitched yeast. I then went away for 3 days and the brew was bubbling away like a mutha father.

It smells alright. I will update you how it turns out.

I would like to know what your mate did with his?

Cheers,

Smashed Jaffa. :beer:

Jimbro,

Yeah I went to Edithvale, bloke was really helpful considering I am newbie.

What was your process with this kit?

Are you going to rack this to a secndary fermenter? I am planning to bulk prime this kit for the first to see how it turns out.

Smashed Jaffa

yeh my alskan ice was really simple

im pretty new to homebrewing aswell me and a couple of my mates started about 5 months ago.

i just chuked in the the kit and boiled up the muscle for 20min. put that in and pitched yeast when it got to 28C. i diddnt rack this beer because my brother had his draught in the fermentor

i've never done bulk priming something i should try out tho

it was something really simple i bottled it a few days ago

now my mates alskan ice was a really nice beer but he diddnt write down the recipe

your recipe looks alright nice and simple and beer muscle is usually good
its too bad not many people use bacchus and barley kits i've never had a bad brew with them

if you a hit a really nice brew using one of the kits could u let me know and share the recipe

my brother made a pretty good wheat beer if your intrested

p.s. are you part of the bayside brewing club? i would be but im underage

just as a tip, try and keep the fermentation temps as low as possible, when i say that i mean low 20's rather than higher, i find it will ferment much cleaner and better to drink esp. in light clour/flavour beers

with it being so hot in melbourne without a fridge its hard, but water bath, wet towls and a cool room like bathrooms etc might all help.

I have a large fridge and chest freezer i have my 3 fermenters in so i am ok but without it, brewing clean beers is a bit more of an art

Jimbro,

No I'm not a member of a club yet. I have two small children.. time is at a premium! and brewing is something I can do around the house.

I am actually interested in a wheat beer recipe, as that is going to be my next brew in a about a week. I have a can of that Cascade spicy ghost stuff. . It hasn't had many good reviews, however I am going to give it a go. Would be keen to see a recipe for the wheat beer your brother did. Was the kit from Bacchus and Barley?

Gout,

I hear you about the temp, however I only pitched the yeast @ 28C. The wort then proceeded to cool in a room in the back of my garage to 22C, and has been brewing at 20c to 23c all week. I intend to rack tonight and bring the fermenter inside as we are going to have a hot spell in the next few days. My ideal is to get a chest freezer or like, however I have to convince SWMBO that I can make good beer first! Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,

Smashed Jaffa. B)

just watch the temps when the yeast takes off, it can skyrocket and then once it finishes cool down, all before you know it. coopers is esp, fast (you will know from the activity in the fermenter if this happens) I think the most damage is done in the first 1-2 days (regards to bad flavours)

sounds like your ontop of it though, so all left now is to sit back and enjoy the beers in this great melb weather we are having

cheers
Ben

Weaty Treat

Bachus and barley wheat beer kit
500g dextrose
100g corn syrup
500g wheat malt extract
15 g saaz

chucked everything in
and boiled hops up for 10 mins

very easy simple but good

jimbro said:
Weaty Treat

Bachus and barley wheat beer kit
500g dextrose
100g corn syrup
500g wheat malt extract
15 g saaz

chucked everything in
and boiled hops up for 10 mins

very easy simple but good
[post="101582"][/post]​

Jimbro,

Sounds good. I might try this for my next brew, once I bottle the the Alaskan Ice. It smells really good, (the alaskan ice that is!). I might brew the Weaty Treat this weekend. I'm thinking bout chuckin some cracked coriander seed and orange peel to go for the hoegaarden clone??

Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

Smashed Jaffa :beer:

Another easy wheat that tastes pretty good

Can Morgans golden sheaf wheat
No 10 brew blend
half can morgans wheat malt
1 saaz hop bag
yeast as supplied

just finished a keg of this even my neighbour who doesnt like beer was drinking it

:beer:
Richard

recharge said:
Another easy wheat that tastes pretty good

Can Morgans golden sheaf wheat
No 10 brew blend
half can morgans wheat malt
1 saaz hop bag
yeast as supplied

just finished a keg of this even my neighbour who doesnt like beer was drinking it

:beer:
Richard
[post="102283"][/post]​

Thanks Recharge, I will put it on my list. :beer:

I am going to bottle the Alaskan Ice next Sunday. I will post the results.

Cheers & Beers

Smashed Jaffa.

smashed jaffa how did that alaskan ice go

im thinking about doing it myself

jimbro said:
smashed jaffa how did that alaskan ice go

im thinking about doing it myself
[post="107176"][/post]​

Jimbro,

not bad!

I have had it in the bottle for just over two weeks, I drank 3 stubbies on the weekend and they showed a bit of promise, very impressed. :beer:

As stated in an earlier post I added 15g (8.0% AAU) of Cascade hops in the last 15 min of the boil (teabag), which has given the brew a bit of flavour. a marked improvement on m 1st brew.

I bottled primed with 150g of dextrose, and although they weren't quite fully carbonated as yet, head retention was a bit poor, the mouthfeel was alright, should be really good in a few weeks time. But unfortunately they won't last that long as I have my little fellas 1st birthday this weekend I'm sure all of this batch WILL be consumed on Sat. :party:

I am trying to locate an extract recipe for a James Squire Amber Ale clone as my next project, so if anyone has any ideas about this please assist! B)

Cheers,

Smashed Jaffa

edit: dextrose - not maltodextrin thanks bradmcm.

smashed jaffa said:
I bottled primed with 150g of maltodextrin, and although they weren't quite fully carbonated as yet,

Nor will it be if you used maltodextrin!

Latest posts

Back