B Saaz Difference

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiesu

Reaction score
I'm about to brew up a LC Bright Ale Clone and putting in my order for Hops,
However I noticed that craftbrewer is out of the normal B Saaz hops and only have the NZ version which is
Motueka (B Saaz) Hops (pellets 90gm)
Anyone compared the difference between the motueka and the regular B saaz?

I'm about to brew up a LC Bright Ale Clone and putting in my order for Hops,
However I noticed that craftbrewer is out of the normal B Saaz hops and only have the NZ version which is
Motueka (B Saaz) Hops (pellets 90gm)
Anyone compared the difference between the motueka and the regular B saaz?

They are the same thing. Motueka is the new name for B Saaz.

Regards

There is no difference in those hops except that the ones that are in stock are pellets rather than flowers. Motueka is just another name for B Saaz.

Ok great Ive put the order in.

Can't wait!

*rubbing hands together*

You will be rubbing those hands even more after tasting it, I love Motueka :super:

Are the regions of Europe claiming their hops as a "brand" like Champagne?

Not that im aware of. The name change probabaly occured because it tastes nothing like saaz early in its life. Given seveal months in a beer it does tend to push more of its peppery/spicy saaz characteristics as the big fruit/citrus aromas mellow but definitly not when its young. Great hop either way.

I don't know if any are definitely trying to 'claim' names, but it is a pretty common experience that the particlur characteristics (flavour, aromas, oils etc) vary depending on the location the plant is grown.

Cheers SJ

I wonder how many hops cultivars are genetically the same as another but grown in different soils and climates, give off different characteristics and as such are given a different name.

Is Galaxy just Simcoe grown in Oz...?

Latest posts

Back