Avoiding That Blasted Infection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back Yard Brewer

I HAVE A WIFE THAT UNDERSTANDS
Reaction score
I decided to make an APA AG yesterday a decision I made at the last minute late on Friday. Everything went well acheived 80% efficiency. Hydrated some American Ale yeast and then pitched into the fermenters. Woke up this morning and not one bit of action was happening. I tried al lsorts to stimulate it to no avail.

In the past I have had issues of wild yeast or the likes kicking in and spoiling my beer.It was getting near to 24hrs with nothing still happening when I decided to swing into action another plan. I racked my AG into a beer keg, air freed it and managed to get some liquid yeast and am currently building it up. The wort is currenlty in my fridge awaiting inocculation.

Can anyone see a problem doing it this way? I just don't want to risk any bloody infections as has happened in the past.

BYB

Dunno what the problem is but I've had wort sitting there for 2 or 3 days without major hassles. How confident are you of your sanitation?

MFS.

Edit: spelling

Dunno what the problem is but I've had wort sitting there for 2 or 3 days without major hassles. How confident are you of your sanitation?

MFS.

Edit: spelling

I am quite happy with my sanitation I just don't want to risk the chance that an airborn infection may take hold.

BYB

I am quite happy with my sanitation I just don't want to risk the chance that an airborn infection may take hold.

BYB

BYB,

I'd have left it well alone, racking to another vessel is just opening yourself up to risk from airborne infection. I really wouldn't be too worried about lack of action the following morning.
No problem pitching another yeast if you feel necessary, though I've never known a yeast not fire eventually; but keep the fermenter closed & touch as little as possible.

cheers Ross

BYB,

I'd have left it well alone, racking to another vessel is just opening yourself up to risk from airborne infection. I really wouldn't be too worried about lack of action the following morning.
No problem pitching another yeast if you feel necessary, though I've never known a yeast not fire eventually; but keep the fermenter closed & touch as little as possible.

cheers Ross

MMM Will now have to see how I go. I did sanitise the keg and racked into it with a long hose so as to hopefully not risk picking up something else.

Was wondering how manufactures package those fresh wort kits? They must have a very sterile enviroment whilst filling.

BYB

My brother had a double batch sitting in the fermenter in his fridge for almost a month, and it seems to be fine. Tastes good, and the yeast is carbonating bottles. I'd say that yours will be fine.

Cheers - boingk

MMM Will now have to see how I go. I did sanitise the keg and racked into it with a long hose so as to hopefully not risk picking up something else.

Was wondering how manufactures package those fresh wort kits? They must have a very sterile enviroment whilst filling.

BYB

They fill it with boiling wort. No chill brewing. So the wort sanitizes its container with its own heat.

I went around to BYB house today, i have had the same thing before with an AG and after 24hours not having activity i have freaked out and pitched another yeast. When it kicks in it then has the infection. I cant describe it as i dont know what it is. But my sanitastion (spelling??) is good. My 2CW if it helps with the dilema

Hydrated some American Ale yeast and then pitched into the fermenters.

In the past I have had issues of wild yeast or the likes kicking in and spoiling my beer.

BYB

Gday BYB,

I'm not saying this is the cause of your probs but if it were me i wouldn't bother hydrating, i've never had a yeast misfire by my current pitching procedure.

wether i do chill or no-chill i always transfer to a jerry can, pitch half the required yeast straight into fermenter, pour the wort onto the yeast from a good height so you're aerating as well then pitch the remainder.
depends on the brew but 90% of the time i've got activity between 8 to 10 hours, sometimes less.

I'd also be looking at changing the sanitation routine if you're getting a few infections, i do a combo of Starsan soak over night with a Betadine @ 5ml per lt no rinse and i've had no detectable problems.

cheers
yard

Well just for an update. I took my keg out of the fridge last night, racked it to another sanitised keg and put the sealed keg in a tub of warm water to warm it up, then racked to my sanitised fermenter. Pitched a very healthy starter and hey presto it is firing on all cylinders this morning. A lot of ffffff around but I did it my way and got the results that I wanted. What also happens, is that because the wort was CCing for 24hrs there was as I expexcted alot of fall out to the bottom of the keg yeast that I origannly pitched and hopefully a few other nasties. The way I did it may seem a little extreme, but it worked. :)

Every brewing situtaion calls for different ideas not to say that if I took advice off here that it wouldnt work either.

BYB

I decided to make an APA AG yesterday a decision I made at the last minute late on Friday. Everything went well acheived 80% efficiency. Hydrated some American Ale yeast and then pitched into the fermenters. Woke up this morning and not one bit of action was happening. I tried al lsorts to stimulate it to no avail.

In the past I have had issues of wild yeast or the likes kicking in and spoiling my beer.It was getting near to 24hrs with nothing still happening when I decided to swing into action another plan. I racked my AG into a beer keg, air freed it and managed to get some liquid yeast and am currently building it up. The wort is currenlty in my fridge awaiting inocculation.

Can anyone see a problem doing it this way? I just don't want to risk any bloody infections as has happened in the past.

My educated guess is: like your brewing efficiency, you will have an 80% chance of success. Have a little patience my friend, when the fat lady starts singing, thats when you will no if it's good or not. The liquid yeast should improve the situation situation (it has come from a good source) but, the end result might taste a wee yeasty because of the dry input. Good luck MASHER!
:D
Moculta Masher.
BYB

Latest posts

Back