Avoiding Light Struck Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
Hi all, maybe this has been answered before and it seems a dumb question, but I just want to be sure.

I keg the majority of my brews, but always have a few litres to bottle after each keg, and also do the occassional brew just to bottle.

I only use Grolsch type swing tops, both green and brown.

Now I have been storing these along the top of our kitchen cupboards near the ceiling for my own reason..so they are within easy reach to put them in the fridge, it is a pretty constantly maintained temp, and it just looks cool having 60-100 Grolschies lined up to show off.

Now they don't get exposed to any direct sunlight, but obvioulsy being in the kitchen they do get filtered natural light during the day (no direct light at all as they are high up and the kitchen is in the middle of the house so no direct windows), and also the electric lighting when the kitchen is in use at night.

I have had no issues with funky, light struck beer yet, but I have really started to increase my reserves and probably have enough there now to last me 6 months as they are spares for BBQs and parties etc as I use my kegs when I drink at home.

My question is, will this amount of lighting light strike my beer?

Do I need to box them up and put them away somewhere else, or are they OK?

Any feedback welcome.
Bubba

Initial reaction to this Q is to suggest simply store them in the dark - foam broccoli boxes, etc.

I do recall an article in beer and brewer magazine discussion light struck and different coloured bottles, the brown bottles performing best, green ones not so much.

The darker the bottle the better, light strike is caused by a reaction from UV which would not all be filtered out within a light room. You may start to find the green bottle become light struck with time.

Try to keep them in the dark or just cover them with a blanket.

Kleiny

I'd keep doign what you're doing until you actually notice a problem.

Must be one big kitchen if you can display 60-100 bottles.
Cannot see the point myself I just store bottles in boxes in my spare shower cubicle.

Brown bottles are supposed to be better than green for light strike.

After a skinful don't fancy climbing up on cupboards to retrieve a few bottles.

I have about 500 grolsh bottles , green and brown

have never had a problem in 10 years

stored in garage -- no window

drinking beer 6 months old and older

no difference in taste between green and brown

mind you I do not know if the light goes out when I shut the fridge door , yea yea check the button

Latest posts

Back