Australias Best Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If this is legit, then good on Stone and Wood.
Their Pacific Ale certainly is a tasty drop and good to see it's starting to gain recognition...I spose it doesn't get much better than this?

I'm probably in the same boat as alot of others on this thread though. Someone mentioned Billy B's apple beer(s)... :icon_drool2: Enough said.
And I think there really are alot of really fantastic more "ut there" sort of beers coming from the likes of Feral and Murrays, which truely are the best beers coming out of this country and certainly comparable to the likes you get from micros in the US and Europe. But alot of these beers are hard to come by and often one off smaller batches, particularly some of the Murrays beers, and I think S&W certainly ticks the boxes for being a sessionable beer with a very appealing flavour that doesn''t have the tendancy of blowing ones socks off with high abv, like some of the best beers tend to...Murrays Icon 2IPA etc.

It's legit in so far as someone came up with an idea, convinced a publishing company to publish the idea, invited selected people involved in the beer industry to vote on their top 50 beers and applied a mathmatical formula to those votes to work out which beer got the most votes. I believe the only criteria was that it was commerically available between 1st of January 2010 and 31st of December 2010.

Picked up my copy yesterday and nervously open to check just where brewboys sat in the list and was overjoyed with the results.
Spades at No. 20 yeah! very proud and happy to be given the nod by our peers.
Maiden Ale at No. 34 polling higher then many more well known, loved and respected beers and seeing dubs at 44.

Means a lot to me and the book is great, top work.
Cheers
Jayse

is the full list on the net somewhere?

is the full list on the net somewhere?

Most newsagents are carrying it for 15 bucks and I suggest everyone supports it and goes and gets a copy, I don't think those involved would want the full results put up online, they want people to buy the book.

its been on the todo list for a while and saw it today at dan murphys, bought it - stone and wood pacific ale.
a thumbs up from the missus and i. great aroma and flavour. nice job s&w. :chug:

Just my 2c on the whole Craft Brewer discussion.

I dont understand why the size of, or the owners of a brewery should make any difference to judging a beer.

Shouldnt each beer be judged on its own merit?

Shouldnt the best beer be the best beer, not the best beer brewed by no more than 3 men, in containers no larger than 100 litres, owned by no more than 3 other men???

Its the beer that matters, not how or where, or by who, or who owns it???

my 2c

There are two local breweries in my area, both of them really only mum and dad type operations, ie run by the wife and husband as a team.
Wicked Elf and The Black Duck Brewery (of the famous lable design thread on AHB) are run this way.
I'm sure the ladies have a huge input into those operations, without diminishing the input of the fellows.

Australia's best beer?
Impossible to answer that question. The answer is totally subjective, depending on individual tastes.

PS: I'm sure Mick Aussie didn't mean to ignore the ladies.

its been on the todo list for a while and saw it today at dan murphys, bought it - stone and wood pacific ale.
a thumbs up from the missus and i. great aroma and flavour. nice job s&w. :chug:

But don't you feel let down by distinct lack of bitterness just find it way too bland for a pale ale.

But don't you feel let down by distinct lack of bitterness just find it way too bland for a pale ale.

no, i didnt feel let down, it was very enjoyable. personal taste i suppose. some people dont like anchovies on there pizza.

+1 for the pepperoni but not sure about the S&W Pacific Ale

Congrats for the great press and kudos to Stone & Wood. I picked up a sixer tonight after reading this thread but was left underwhelmed. Wishing I had only bought 2 but I opened the third anyway and it was a gusher.

Does anyone know if this beer is bottle conditioned or force carbonated? There's quite a chunk of yeast in each bottle - I'm wondering if it's functional or just lazy.

Congrats for the great press and kudos to Stone & Wood. I picked up a sixer tonight after reading this thread but was left underwhelmed. Wishing I had only bought 2 but I opened the third anyway and it was a gusher.

Does anyone know if this beer is bottle conditioned or force carbonated? There's quite a chunk of yeast in each bottle - I'm wondering if it's functional or just lazy.
on the bottle it says unfiltered, aswell as gently rolling bottle before opening to rouse the yeast.
i imagine it was forced carbed, doubt it was bottle conditioned(i tried to get some more info on this off there website
but wasnt working)however you may want to drop a friendly email to s&w about the gusher as it is a quality control
issue. how fresh was it/what was the best before date, where did you purchase it.
ive had the empty bottle sitting on my desk for a couple of days now and it still smells great.

Interesting that at #12 Coopers Best Extra Stout is the highest ranked of what I would call non-micro breweries,
if that makes any sense. Glad I'm drinking it while I build my kitchen.

id have to say white rabbit dark ale is my favourie.

Not Fat Yak up here in Cairns... :icon_vomit:

Get me back to Victoria!

Latest posts

Back