Australian's Overweight?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muted3

Reaction score
has anyone seen that Weight Watcher ad? saying something like 7 million australians are overweight, i think its an exaggeration. How do u determine if your overweight or not?

I think the standard measure is BMI or Body Mass Index.

Understanding the Body Mass Index or BMI
BMI is determined by your weight in kg divided by your (height in metres)2.

It is designed for men and women over the age of 18.

A healthy BMI is between 20 and 25. A result below 20 indicates that you may be underweight; a figure above 25 indicates that you may be overweight.

Quote from here Website - includes handy calculator

Cheers,

microbe

it's always nice to be called obese at 7 in the morning, thanks microbe :p

-Phill

it's always nice to be called obese at 7 in the morning, thanks microbe :p

-Phill

Sorry, Phill. :(

Thinking I'm reasonably slim, I got a bit of a shock myself when I plugged my figures in and came up with 26 - in the 'overweight' section. <_<

bmi is a pretty worthless measure of obesity though, put in the figures for just about any football player and they're apparently obese, because it takes no account for what your weight consists of.

Yeah, but I doubt that many people here are professional athletes. I came in at 25, which is borderline- but my weight bounces up and down due to a health condition I have :(

dont get me wrong, I wasnt trying to claim that. simply if you have a naturally heavy structure (ie. large bones and the muscles to support them) it doesnt take much fat for the bmi to tell you you're overweight. personally, it'd have more faith in a cheap set of body composition scales

bmi is a pretty worthless measure of obesity though, put in the figures for just about any football player and they're apparently obese, because it takes no account for what your weight consists of.

Allow me to weigh into this :)

You're right Lucas but the BMI is an indication of potential obesity and is meant for the average person.

BMI is a useful tool but not as a stand-alone measure - if you go see a dr/nutritionist etc they should be doing other measurements such as body fat percentage etc.

The BMI is a good indicator, if you're above (or below, but probably not many in this forum haha) then you go check it a bit more thoroughly.

A useful single measure really doesnt exist in any aspect of life, things are much more complicated than that.

How do u determine if your overweight or not?

Stand up.. now look down without bending forward at the waist. If you can see your feet over your gut you are probably OK. If you can see your tackle as well you are in fine shape. And you forgot to put pants on this morning.

Cheers
Dave

If you can see your tackle as well you are in fine shape. And you forgot to put pants on this morning.

Damn! In good shape but how am going to explain this to the boss?? :lol:

Theres a few easy body fat percentage indicators on the net, all they require is a tape measure and scales. As said BMI can be taken with a pinch of salt when it comes to people with broader frames, lots of muscle, etc.

Those body fat composition scales are apparently worthless, much more accurate getting a tape out and taking a few measurements.

Hey, thanks checked out the BMI thing, looks like everything is in order here.
found a height/weight scale as well.

http://www.letsgetstarted.com.au/

the ad is in there, heaps of good points made out. 1 in 4 children are obese? must be all the fast food being fed to them.

what no one went on it??..hahah it cools...its still there if people still want to know about it

Back