• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Australian Stirplates - Need Testers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megabyte

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was lucky enough to get in on one of the stirplate bulk buys from America last year which got me inspired to try and develop an Australian version (without all the postage fees).

I have constructed a few of my own designs, but I haven't got any feedback yet so if anyone would be keen to help out with testing and give their own feedback I'd be happy to supply a complete stirplate assembled and tested for $60 including express post to anywhere in australia.

I'll include both a large 40mm stirbar and a smaller 25mm stirbar as well as a suitable plugpack so they are ready to use.

I only have two assembled, but I have the parts on hand to build more if there's demand.

Here are some pictures of my prototype up and running with mysterious blue and orange liquids:

P1020589.JPG
P1020604.JPG

Also here's a pic of all the parts it uses to give you an idea of what's inside. It's just based on a computer fan, linear regulator and neodynium magnets like most other stirplates. I have found this to be perfectly adequate for my own uses, but if there's demand for something better (with heater, accurate speed adjustment, thermometer, etc.) then I'm all ears.

P1020573.JPG

Payment is thourgh PapPal or bank transfer.
If you're interested in using/testing one please feel free to PM me or reply in this thread.

If you are going to make an Australian stir plat it needs to turn clockwise or the yeast will get dizzy.

I'd be interested, what pricing looking like?

Cheers - Mike

I'd be interested. What volume would this be capable of stirring? 2 liter flask? 5 liter flask?

Hey guys,
Yeah $60 includes the postage in an express satchel.

Cheers manticle for chiming in with the stirplate explanation. I couldn't have done a better job myself.

Hey guys,

Many of you have PM'ed me and I've been flat out organising orders this afternoon.

I'd just like to give everyone a big thanks for all their support.

As you can probably guess, the two pre-constructed units are well and truly spoken for so I'll be finishing off a few more units this week to meet the demand. I'll post them off in order of received payments, but I expect to have everything in the mail by the end of the week so there shouldn't be any major delays even if your funds arrive slowly.

If you are interested in joining the list and haven't already PM'ed me then please do so as I'd rather not give out my email address and bank details here.

Finally I'd like to reiterate that these stirplates are for testing so this has a few interesting implications.

1. I cannot guarantee that they will work perfectly. While I have been using one of these stirplates without any troubles for some time, and I am very confident of its abilities, there is still room for the unknown, so please feel free to discuss your results both good and bad here openly, but also please be patient if there are any hickups.

2. If anything goes wrong with your stirplate, PLEASE TELL ME. Your feedback is very valuable, so if something breaks or doesn't work, I need to know. We are all testers here, so there's no need to be polite or shy if there's some shoddy workmanship or design flaws.

3. If you have any ideas on how the design could be improved, please share your ideas. I'd love to add more bells and whistles to the design, but it's pointless if nobody is willing to pay the extra cost for them or if everyone considers them to be overkill for such a simple task of spinning yeast.

Finally i'd like to encourage everyone to share their positive results as well. If you were able to stir a 44 gallon drum of starter wort then share the news.

Thanks guys,
I'm very grateful for your help.
-Mick.

Received mine today (very fast service). Seems like a tidy little unit... should have comprehensive feedback for you tomorrow as I'm in the process of boiling up a starter now for a Czech Pilsner I brewed on the weekend.

First impressions are very positive :icon_cheers:

Are these big enough for a 5L flask?

Seems it; I'm using a 2L Erlenmeyer and the small stir bar has no problems getting a nice whirlpool going. Only criticism thus far is that it seems to have trouble with the larger stir bar at medium to high revolutions, but I haven't really played yet.

I'll take photo's of the unit in full flight and post tomorrow night...

I'd be happy to supply a complete stirplate assembled and tested for $60 including express post to anywhere in australia.

That's about how much I paid for my stirplate posted from America...

Mind you that was when the AUD was @ 92c to the USD, if it slips back below .80 or .70 it would be a lot more.

Back